Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

MSE News: Unemployment up, but pace of rise easing

edited 11 November 2009 at 11:11AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
44 replies 483 views

Replies

• setmefree2setmefree2 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news imho.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad the rate is slowing, I'll be happier for people when unemployment declines, not just slows in increase!

But surely the rise in employment is worth celebrating as well....:confused:
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • StevieJ wrote: »
    What does that mean? is it annualised or is the 1.2 equal to, say 4.8% annualised :confused:

1.2% is the annual rise.
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • The Tories must be gutted.

I'm sure they'll make the dole queues nice and long post May 2010..........:o
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kennyboy66 wrote: »
    1.2% is the annual rise.

Wow, inflation well and truly back in the bottle.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
    9.1K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The funniest thing about this is the fact that it's not on HPC yet.....

Bad news gets posted in a nanosecond.

This has been out for half an hour and it's still not up yet.:rotfl:

They are running the story as

"Youth unemployment hits record high"

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/

I like HPC as it flags up some interesting articles. However, I find it very scary that people go there for financial information as it is so obviously biased.

It should come with a financial health warning. "This site will seriously damage your wealth" or some such thing.....
  • Graham_DevonGraham_Devon Forumite
    58.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    They are running the story as

"Youth unemployment hits record high"

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/

I like HPC as it flags up some interesting articles. However, I find it very scary that people go there for financial information as it is so obviously biased.

It should come with a financial health warning. "This site will seriously damage your wealth" or some such thing.....

I don't think it;s particulalry biased to point that out, as it IS a new record, and the young seem to be being hit particularly hard in this recession, which I personally think is something worth discussing on it's own....as if it's the youth being hit, instead of families for instance, the whole of the economy fairs better, but at the expense of the youth.

Anyone can take things from a story, it's been done here, with the focus trying to be changed from unemployment rising, which it is, to "6000 more in jobs"....which is also correct.

I think the overall point of this piece of news, is that uneployment is slowing, which is good news, as I don't think anyone on this site wants to see people unemployed because of the recession.
  • Really2Really2 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    I don't think anyone on this site wants to see people unemployed because of the recession.

Your Right, They want to see them unemployed so they can get a cheap house :) (Alert, Alert this is a joke comment)
    9.1K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it;s particulalry biased to point that out, as it IS a new record, and the young seem to be being hit particularly hard in this recession, which I personally think is something worth discussing on it's own....as if it's the youth being hit, instead of families for instance, the whole of the economy fairs better, but at the expense of the youth.

Anyone can take things from a story, it's been done here, with the focus trying to be changed from unemployment rising, which it is, to "6000 more in jobs"....which is also correct.

I think the overall point of this piece of news, is that uneployment is slowing, which is good news, as I don't think anyone on this site wants to see people unemployed because of the recession.

All that is true. I have 2 late teenage boys so I worry about their job prospects and the cost of houses. That, however, was not my point.

The point I was trying to make is that HPC is clearly a biased site but you are entitled to your opinion if you do not agree.
  • julieqjulieq Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    I think you have to be very careful when looking at news like this and heaving a sigh of relief, because even leaving aside probable public sector cuts after the election when it's politically possible, many private sector companies are trying to cling onto staff in the hope that there's a relatively rapid recovery, positioning themselves to take business from weakened competitors.

There are signs that this is what is happening, but if there is another dip down or a slowing of the pace of recovery, a lot of the companies hanging on by their fingertips will let go. Nerves are getting quite frayed from what I can see.

Although recent data is better than a few months ago, I'm a little more pessimistic now. What we were watching for then was the turn, now we're realising it's a turn from a very low point and 100% recovery is a fair way off.

And the big losers will remain people not in employment, which includes the young to a disproportionate extent. Because it's not easy to justify new hires.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides