Yes, maybe a little white lie, but it'll shut them up. :p
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • TakeThis
    TakeThis Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    CuddlesTC wrote: »
    I'm so angry I could scream at her, but it's too late now - my Mum got this phone call yesterday and fell for it.

Although she didn't get as far as parting with any money, she did let these people have full remote access to her computer :mad:

Can anyone help me with what I should do now for damage control? Her boyfriend seems to think that deleting all programs added to the computer yesterday will have solved any problems, but even with my minimal knowledge I suspect this is highly unlikely.

I've got her doing a full virus scan at the moment, but would imagine she'd also need to check for trojans, keyloggers and so on, and don't know if AVG free covers those.

Unfortunately I'm about to go to a wedding, so can't go round to her house and check it out at the moment, but any advice would be most gratefully received!

If he uninstalled the Remote Control client, that may well have done the trick.
    But a scan with a Rescue disc, perhaps the Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10, may go some way to allay your fears.
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2011 at 1:15PM
    CuddlesTC wrote: »
    I've got her doing a full virus scan at the moment, but would imagine she'd also need to check for trojans, keyloggers and so on, and don't know if AVG free covers those.
    Yes, it does. You could always do additional scan with MBAM too.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

It can come down to confidence, but I would suggest backup, format, and re-install the OS.

It can be the only way for some to be fully confident using the PC again after these criminals have had remote access. There may be that doubt that they've changed settings or added something that allows them backdoor access again in the future.

What's the PC used for? Would you be confident online banking using a machine for that a criminal has been able to go inside and "tinker" with?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try not to be too angry with your mum, these people are smooth talkers and can sell ice cream to eskimos.

Unfortunately in our local paper one old lady has just been scammed for £3k on the same lines.

Just be thankful and give her a hug.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Lots of people get taken in -I get them ringing me at work after they've thought about it. It's a growing problem with more and more people getting PCs who know very little about the basics of how they work.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • CuddlesTC
    CuddlesTC Posts: 148
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone: off round to Mum's in a bit to see what's what. Personally, if it was my computer I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole without formatting and reinstalling, but then I know where all my discs, product keys and passwords are - let's see if Mum does!
  • Gemma182
    Gemma182 Posts: 30 Forumite
    My mothers boyfriend fell for this. Went as far as logging on to the website where they gain control of the computer AND even gave out some card details. He gave out the long number on the front and I presume the expiry date too.

What can they do with that information?

My mother isn't computer literate but even she was shouting at him telling him to hang up and what on earth was he doing giving out card details, but her boyfriend is as gulliable as they come.

The only advice I could think to give her was to not use the computer for the time being. Especially not for banking etc... And to go to the bank tomorrow to let them know what's happened.

If I do a system restore on their computer, that should be enough? Since they did this, we have noticed the history has been deleted. The drop down menu where you see the list of previous sites visited.

Thanks in advance.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    They get your number from comparison websites, they SELL it on lists.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • GKWelding
    GKWelding Posts: 43 Forumite
    New version of this going around at the moment. Just had a friend on Facebook almost caught out by it. Claiming to be from a company called "PC Wizard". From what I could tell from her status update it looks like they're getting people to give them access via the remote desktop functionality built in to windows, they're then scanning through folders on the PC and possibly uploading malicious programs. As I advised back in 2009, don't fall for any of this rubbish.

If anyone phones you claiming your computer is infected with a virus then chances are they put it there, or soon will...
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You should reply with something like:

"That's great and all, but I have a Mac" :p

Yes, maybe a little white lie, but it'll shut them up. :p

You could just hang up, no need to speak to anyone just because they called you.

Much more satisfying though is to keep a referees' whistle by the 'phone. You can then have the pleasure of imagining the scumbag frantically tearing off his headset as your lusty blast pierces his brain.
    Je suis Charlie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport