New telephone scam targeting PC users.

Comments

• mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    inspace wrote: »
    Some company has sold their database to the scammers that is for sure - if only we could find out which one - then we could refuse to deal with them.
    Think we can blame everything on T-Mobile from now on.
  • Just to say this is ongoing..... received a call today. Only managed to keep them on the line for 9 minutes whilst I put my slap on... think the hairdryer made them suspect that I wasn't simply turning on my PC!
  • lily89
    lily89 Posts: 77 Forumite
    i got a similar call a couple of weeks ago and an indian gentleman was offering to help clean up my P.C but i brother on who's more P.C technically minded but he said the gentleman would not adknowledge what he was saying
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Had a call from the same jokers (or someone using the same script) last week while visiting my mother's. Asked if the computer was on, which it was and asked me to click on the "Start" button. He tried to get me to open the "Control Panel" and when I said I couldn't find it he became horribly confused and ever more angry when I told him that there wasn't a "Start" button on my Desktop either. Despite his repeated instructions I still couldn't find it. If he'd asked I'd have told him I run Linux on the laptop (and Mum has an old iMac) but then he didn't and I wasn't going to advance the information straight away. I eventually put him out of his misery and suggested that I thought it highly odd that MS had received an error report seeing as I didn't use Windows. In the middle of a completely undecipherable but clearly abusive diatribe he rang off.

Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482
    Forumite
    how come you guys get all the fun with these people, they never ring me :( i am feeling so unloved at the moment, i just want to see how long i can keep them on the phone

i also want to get the one where you go to the website and download the exe file for the virus and then see how long it takes before they realise it wont install on my ubuntu box ;)

although i might actually do it all the way through and open up windows xp in virtual box and try and work out what they are actually doing or trying to do with the program
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • davester
    davester Posts: 4,079
    Forumite
    Leopard wrote: »

We got one of these calls.

I told the guy that I was horrified to hear of it and asked him which of our eight Apple Macs had sent this Windows error message to Microsoft, so that we could identify the ailing computer.

This phased him, somewhat; he asked me to stay on the line while he asked his manager. So I put him on hold. Ten minutes later, when i checked, he was gone...

The Message which Your Macs sent to Microsoft was "Window Vista sucks, use Linux"
    Only Microsoft will think this is a error message :D
    Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574
  • O/P post date of : 19-10-2009, 11:23 AM, it was so long ago, even before Leopard was banned from the site. I know that #13 states "" this is ongoing "" but any follow on posters should be aware that the thread is nine months old.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • davester
    davester Posts: 4,079
    Forumite
    leopard got banned?
    Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    I can quite believe he was, lots of people get banned from this site.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    O/P post date of : 19-10-2009, 11:23 AM, it was so long ago, even before Leopard was banned from the site. I know that #13 states "" this is ongoing "" but any follow on posters should be aware that the thread is nine months old.
    Appreciate that RftB. The call I took was at 10.30 on 28.07.10 - not nine months ago - and I only accepted the call as my mother had been pestered by the same caller for the previous week or 10 days.

These calls are clearly "ongoing" - again. The fact that there has been an interregnum of 9 months between the last post and the most recent doesn't not in anyway detract from nadine's comments. Potential posters are always encouraged to search and add to existing threads rather than starting new ones. On that basis it would seem that nadine has done just what is required of her would it not?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure