🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

A Fool and Her Money- CAFCGIRL's Debt Diary

Options

Comments

• Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just spent a few hours reading through your Post! I wanted to jump in so many times but I would have been posting weeks out of date & it wouldn't have made any sense lol

Congrats btw on the new job - it sounds really rewarding - well done
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok Friday 13th - no excuses now you can stick to your plan

My personal tip (not just for today by the way) - Set up Direct debits & Standing orders to pay all the bills. If you can, arrange these to come out on payday or the day after & if this is not possible set a Standing Order to a different account & put any bills that dont fall on payday on that account & use it solely for bills (may be a little savings) ie if the non payday bills total £45 a month set your standing order for £50- you wont miss it honestly
    Seccond tip- set the DD's or SO's for a round figure slightly higher than is requested when you are allowed or set a SO to 'top-up' a DD - ie DD for Water is £12.50 a month so set a SO for £3.50 so you are paying £15 a month - clears debts quicker or builds a credit on the acccunt which makes you feel really smug - I am currently £110.18p in credit on the Council Tax :dance: - I set a SO for £100 rather than the £90 something they suggested. Bear in mind that some companies dont like you having too much credit on you acccount & will insist on sending you a cheque when it gets too high - bonus, you spend this on a major treat, clear a chunk of a different bill or put it in your savings for New York or whatever!
    All the best
    Pup X
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Adrasteia01
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm quite new to the forum. I joined a while ago but this is only my 2nd post.

I've been reading CAFCgirl's debt diary for a while (another lurker) and thought it was about time I said hello. My name's Tammy and I live in Dublin with my husband and collection of animals.

I thought I'd make a suggestion with regard to the ebay pictures. If you have a mobile phone with a camera you could take photos of your items then if your computer has an infrared port (most laptops do) you could use it to upload them to your computer (or you could perhaps email them to yourself).

Where ebay is concerned most people won't bid without a picture. If you have a webcam you could use that to take still pictures, or use a scanner for smaller items. Generally I just use my phone or my scanner.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Psykicpup wrote:
    Just spent a few hours reading through your Post! I wanted to jump in so many times but I would have been posting weeks out of date & it wouldn't have made any sense lol

Congrats btw on the new job - it sounds really rewarding - well done

Why thankyou very much xx
    I thought I'd make a suggestion with regard to the ebay pictures. If you have a mobile phone with a camera you could take photos of your items then if your computer has an infrared port (most laptops do) you could use it to upload them to your computer (or you could perhaps email them to yourself).

Thanks for the suggestion Tammy, unfortunately my PC doesnt have infra-red, and nor will my mobile phone let me email them to myself. I'm sure the world is conspiring against me.

On the bin bag of clothes note, my flatmate's Dad's partner (IYSWIM) is about the same size as me, and flatmate suggested she'd take them off my hands, and would most likely offer me something in return, whcih saves the effort of ebay, the picture situation and posting them! Even if she doesnt, saves me moving them!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Right so here I am at home, ebaying my little picture-less heart out...... with a rotten cold

only to go downstairs to discover flatmate was switched the plug off where the freezer is plugged in!

Now she apparently didnt do it, or cant remember doing it are her words, but did plug the hoover in at the same point but it was a double socket.....?!

Well obviously it wasnt a double socket as theres only one socket and no other double socket in the whole hallway/kitchen area where she plugged it in!

Good god!
    So lost all the food from the freezer! And my carpet is now wet.........

:cry::cry::cry::cry: _pale_ :mad:
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    :mad: :mad: :mad: No wonder you are mad, I would be too

Is anything salvagable???? Can you cook anything to then refreeze?
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    nope literally all dead.

She did it yesterday!

Probs if I'd realised sooner, I could have saved something.
    Am so annoyed as I had paid for most of the food and you can bet she won't be replacing it!

I want to move out................ right now!
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I don't blame you one little bit, I'd have wrung her neck by now if she was my flatmate

Clutching at straws - are freezer contents covered by household insurance at all?
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    *hangs head in shame*

dont have insurance :(
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote:
    *hangs head in shame*

dont have insurance :(

OK, then put a bloody big sticker on the plug that says 'FREEZER' so she can't make mistake ever again....and get yourself insured in the new place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport