long wkend in prague.

HI
can anyone help please. I am booking a long wkend trip to prague as a surprise for my husbands 40th.

can u advise the best and cheapest way to do this.

is it cheaper to book a seperate flight and hotel or better to book them together?

can anyone recommend a hotel in the heart of the city?

I will be very grateful for any help

thank you.
HOW MUCH ?

Comments

• the cheapest way is seperate by a mile.

i found booking my hotel the day before to save alot of money.

i stayed at the diplomat.

3 weeks before - the cheapest i could find was £295
    day before i got it for £162 including breakfast from octupus travel

the best and chepest airline (and i really mean the best budget (infact better than some schedule airlines)) is EUJET.COM
    you can fly form kent or fly manchester to kent and onward to prague.

cost us for 2 for a four night break £240 quid - fantastic value.

the diplomat is a great hotel, good hot food buffet, and is tright next to the main metro line.
    takes 5 minutes to get into the centre and costs about 25p per trip

so good.

would definately go again.
  • walks
    walks Posts: 411 Forumite
    :D hi
    dont no if this is of any help but we have just booked for feb going with lastminutetravel.co.uk for accomodation which is novotel praha city hotel which i think is in the centre its cost 409 for 6 nights b and b and flights booked with bmi baby.com 195 flying from east mids fly on sun going and sat comming back.

hope you sort something out.

;)
    Every cloud has a silver lining:j
  • sounds expensive!
  • sevlow
    sevlow Posts: 227 Forumite
    I visited prague for the first time in Nov 2004 and had a super time.

The least expensive hotels are a metro ride away, but after a liitle consideration I concluded that the little extra you pay for being in the centre is worth it.

Sure I know you can £50.00 + and catch the metro, but after all said and done the hotels in the centre are great value and its a special celebration - right !

After much research we choise The Cloister Inn Hotel and would ask you to do an internet search on "cloister inn prague reviews" and make up your own mind.

Prague is divided by a river spanned by the famous Charles Bridge. The cloister inn is just 5 mins stroll away giving you ready access to both main parts of the city. We found no need to use buses/trams etc around the city and walked everywhere.

The Cloiser Inn cost £76.--GBP per room/night inc breakfast which was good. The place is spotless and located in a really quite steet, but with resteraunts and bars if you feel the need for a night cap before bed. The staff are so helpfull - really nothing is too much trouble for them.

On arrival we used the minibus transporty to our hotel. It takes you direct to your hotel but you share with others. I think the service is callel Cevaz or somthing like that, and they have a kiosk in the airport terminal or you can pay outside where you will easily see them parked up. On route to our hotel we were talking to someone who commutes weekly to Prague and is working for Tesco.

Is experiance after many weeks of booking flights is to book about six weeks in advance for the best deals.

Do try and get to the National Theatre - again five mins walk from the hotel. Not that expensive for even the dear tickets which is all you will get on the day.

I would try an avoid Wenleslass square. Often reccommended - but my least favorite place being very commercial.

Prague is as super choice - Try the dark bier and hot wine.

Enjoy
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Mr_Nick_3
    Mr_Nick_3 Posts: 57 Forumite
    The Ibis in Praha 2 is currently 84 Euros a night, which is about £50.

Very nice hotel, and only a minute away from the Metro, but more importantly only a minute from the number 17 and 22 trams, which take you absolutly everywhere, and into the centre in 5 minutes.

From the airport don't get a cab. We took the bus to Dejvicka metro station, where from you can get the train to anywhere.

Get a travel pass from any station or the airport. A ticket for £5 will give you 3 days of unlimited travel.

And if you're looking for a good guide book, get the 'Best of Prague' by Lonely Planet. Excellent book.

Oh, and as Sevlow said, do try the own brew dark bier!!!
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My husband has been working in Prague for the last four years so I have spent a lot of time there.
    Do not be frightened of using public transport. It is incredibly efficient and cheap.
    Buying the 3 day tickets actually works out quite expensive but I suppose it is convenient.
    I would agree with the comment about Wensceslas square. It is scummy and noisy. The worst place in the whole city. Avoid hotels located here.
    Oh, and if you are going during the winter months, take your thermals :):)
  • Before you book the hotel check to see if you can get a better rate on:

http://www.hotelscomparison.com

It searches 12 hotel booking companies. You can search for all hotels in Prague or just on a specific hotel name.

This is my site. Let me know what you think?
  • keef_2
    keef_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I went first week of July last year and paid £95.00 for a flight from Czech Airlines from Manchester.

Hotel was a tram ride away but only cost about £45-50 a night per double room. That was called hotel Pyramida and was a nice 4* place with gymn, pool, bar and even a hairdresser and masseuse service!

I absolutely loved it there, I'm dying to go again but like to try new places. Is there anywhere else as beautiful (and just as importantly) cheap as Prague??
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Budapest is similar to Prague and cheaper.

If you visit the houses of parliament then take your passport (if you are an EU citizen) and you'll get the tour for free (usually £6).

Trams are about 50p a ride.

I haven't been to Prague but I understand they are similar cities.
  • loates123
    loates123 Posts: 798 Forumite
    Budapest is similar to Prague but not cheaper..

bratislava andl jubljana are cheaper but this will change..

prices in prague and budapest have gone up by 20-35% in last 18 mths this is set to rise...

new unknown places are still cheap but not for long............once the brits get there they click on and prices shoot up
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport