Forum Home» Energy

electricity cut off by the courts, help! - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

electricity cut off by the courts, help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
41 replies 4.6K views

Replies

• edited 8 October 2009 at 12:27PM
    Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2009 at 12:27PM
    olly300 wrote: »
    I wish people would understand that in England and Wales a landlord where you rent a AST cannot legally:
    1. Stop you changing gas or electricity supplier
    2. Prevent you from getting a different sort of meter....

Whilst it is true that there is little a LL can do to prevent a tenant from having the type of meter in the property changed, especially if the LL is unaware of it, there is an obligation on any tenant to return the property in the same condition as it was originally let, fair wear and tear excepted. Failure to do so could render the tenant liable to the cost of reinstating the property to that condition.

If a tenant finds they need, or are being forced into, taking a different type of meter, they should discuss and gain the approval of their LL first. Much of the distress caused when renting a property could be avoided if only the tenant were to keep their LL informed.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premier wrote: »
    Has the friend splashed out on that too?

No wonder she didn't pay her leccy!

Priorities
    Are you a troll?
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • dizzybuffdizzybuff Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I suggest , she contacts the CAB , shelter and the electricity company . Plus to pay essentials . as stated above but the rent could be a good one as well :)
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • Premier wrote: »
    Whilst it is true that there is little a LL can do to prevent a tenant from having the type of meter in the property changed, especially if the LL is unaware of it, there is an obligation on any tenant to return the property in the same condition as it was originally let, fair wear and tear excepted. Failure to do so could render the tenant liable to the cost of reinstating the property to that condition.

If a tenant finds they need, or are being forced into, taking a different type of meter, they should discuss and gain the approval of their LL first. Much of the distress caused when renting a property could be avoided if only the tenant were to keep their LL informed.

Gas/electricity meters are not the property of the landlord but of the meter operator, so it shouldnt make any difference. I lived in a few shared houses with friends and we got cut off so had pre-pay meter installed, L/L didnt even notice when we left and they went through the inventory thing
  • edited 8 October 2009 at 12:46PM
    Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2009 at 12:46PM
    saver_gem wrote: »
    Gas/electricity meters are not the property of the landlord but of the meter operator, so it shouldnt make any difference. I lived in a few shared houses with friends and we got cut off so had pre-pay meter installed, L/L didnt even notice when we left and they went through the inventory thing

They may not be the property of the LL, but they certainly are not the property of the tenant.

The tenant rents the property including it's contents from the LL. If the tenant wishes to change anything, T should discuss this with LL first to gain LL permission. If your LL didn't notice the change of meter, it sounds like you got a lucky escape by having a LL who obviously doesn't care much about the property he lets to have missed that on the outgoing check. Some LL's are more careful about the property they let to their tenants.

Similar to perhaps a fridge, washing machine or TV which the LL may provide but may not own, they may be rented. That doesn't allow the tenant to replace them with different makes/models just because they are not owned by the LL.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • re your question, i would probably advised you to tell your friend to get into contact with her supplier and find out how much it is going to cost to get her elect supply back on. Secondly would advise to get into contact with her local social security offfice and apply for a crisis loan/budgeting loan and explain the situation to them - they should be able to help her in regards to her situation.

Hope this helps.

Dee x
  • The best thing I can think off is ask for a pre payment meter, as has been mentioned above. I had one installed about 3 years ago.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is to point your friend in the direction of the Debt-free Wannabe board here on MSE. It's perfectly possible to live on benefits with some clever budgeting, and if two kids are at college there should be EMA coming into the home.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • samtastic7samtastic7 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    hope she gets something sorted she must have ingnored alot of letters for them to cut off someone with children .
    I was once told if you are having trouble paying someone you are best making small regular payments even £1 a week as when it goes to court it shows you are still trying to pay and as they are recieving somthing it goes in your favour
  • If you are the person paying the bills direct to the supplier, it is your contract with the supplier and therefore your privelidge to have the meter changed.

If you pay the landlord a price all inclusive of bills, it will be the landlord who then has the contract with the supplier so it is not your right to have the meter changed.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support