How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
59 replies 108.9K views
12346»

Replies

• weenellieweenellie Forumite
    2 Posts
    Only quoting what hospital told us. But I am more concerned about my daughter and great grandson, their lives are more important than any bird
  • leveller2911leveller2911
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    weenellie wrote: »
    Only quoting what hospital told us. But I am more concerned about my daughter and great grandson, their lives are more important than any bird

Better make sure you wash down every path,wall,window and door with disinfectant on your property and everywhere you go ,given that wild birds mess everywhere it may pay to buy a bio-hazard suit for any outdoor walking.

;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH346jrhKyIpXwBJ-H9P2ZoIbMRHqsjJHvqvn--WXYA-TdYW5c
  • We have had housemartins nesting at our house now for 3 years and it's been a nightmare. The mess that they make is unbelievable and they're above my son's bedroom window so their "chirping" wakens him at an early hour.
    My young son's and I left our home a couple of days ago to find the nest lying at our front door with 4 dead baby birds lying there. I'm not sure what has happened but it deeply affected my sons. I am now going to try my best to avoid this happening again so would appreciate any advice!
  • A six year running thread. A record?

Having been born in North London and known only House Sparrows and feral Pigeons along with a Blackbird or two, my appreciation of birds unseen during childhood may affect my viewpoint. But My first job from school was farmwork, in rural Dorset. Later, I shot Rabbits and laid bait for vermine - Rats and Mice, the latter mostly for Council for the benefit of general health (humans of course, though even Rats will turn on themselves when overcrowded - as do humans).

Bird lime is offensive and can be hazardous to health. But our present home in the Shropshire countryside has Martins returning to their nest under the eaves, and they are welcome. They chatter right outside our bedroom window and for us that is part of living where we do - accepted - even nocturnal Geese honking and Sheep bleating at the loss of the marketed Lambs, the latter not particularly pleasant but we created the 'market'. From any mess point of view, we are fortunate in having nothing more than a concrete apron and a coal bunker beneath their nest, so no problem there.

Enough advice has been aired in this thread to give several options for dealing with unwanted Martin nests, but the notes on the legalities are important.

I always find it rather sad that as a species we are forever seeking ways to adjust nature to our demands, and not the other way around, for it is we who are the intruders in general, and not the indiginous species - migratory or not. Having said that, there are places where mankinds intervention, or more correctly - management, has given some species room to live whereas nature itself would have seen them extinct all the sooner. Do we 'manage' to continue an existence - or let 'nature' take its course, for we are in a state of continuing change whether we like it or not. Perhaps nature will decide one day we are surplus to requirements and hose/shoot us into infinity. For some, it cannot come too soon. But that's 'human' nature for you, and perhaps something that sets us aside from all other living organisms on this planet. Maybe we are not where we are supposed to be?
  • edited 1 March 2014 at 1:32PM
    Cecil_McFarlandCecil_McFarland Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 1 March 2014 at 1:32PM
    The first thing to bear in mind, is that it is illegal to remove an active nest. You can, however take steps to prevent nesting when an old nest is vacated or, before they actually start to build. To prevent building search google for 'no more nests' and you are likely to find a solution.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know they make a mess but these are such wonderful little birds who have a tough enough time surviving their regular migrations without having it made more difficult for them to nest and breed in such a short season. Could you not put a large sheet of plastic underneath to catch the mess and then dispose of it at the end of the breeding season? For me the pleasure of having them breed and being able to watch their activities would outweigh the inconvenience.
  • emmiemac wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone had any idea how to prevent housemartins nesting on your buliding. They built one last year just below our roof right above where we have our bench to sit out on (the only place we can put it), and the droppings were awful. This is driving my husband crazy so please help. They look like they're wanting to bulid one in the same place again and just wondered what might deter them.
    get a cat.

maine coons are awesome for this kind of work. no birds anywhere, let alone your house!
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing to bear in mind, is that it is illegal to remove an active nest. You can, however take steps to prevent nesting when an old nest is vacated or, before they actually start to build.
    Thanks for your words of wisdom, Cecil.

I guess you didn't notice that we were informed of that about eight years ago...
    Wig wrote: »
    House martins are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take an adult bird, or to take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a house martin whilst it is being built or in use. The Act allows for fines of up to £5,000 for every bird, egg or nest destroyed, or even custodial sentences. If maintenance work that would affect either a natural or artificial house martin nest needs to be carried out, this should be scheduled for the autumn, winter or early spring when the birds are not in residence. At this time of the year one can remove the nests to carry out the work. Make sure that you replace any artificial nests to exactly the same spot where they came from house martins are very particular about the exact location of their nest.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Thanks for your words of wisdom, Cecil.

I guess you didn't notice that we were informed of that about eight years ago...

Does no harm to bring it up again - not everyone will read from the beginning of the thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals