How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

Options

Comments

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    capeverde wrote: »
    Of course I know the difference, I also have my own beliefs on what constitutes a nuisance. A bird constantly crapping where my kids play falls into that category. I would also include a single bat holding up a barn conversion for 3 years whilst a handful of roy croppers decend on a property and then take 12 months to submit a report deserved of a couple of barrels. You seem to have anger issues by the way, its not good for you.

I only have an anger issue with complete knobs who would shoot Swallows/house Martins etc, seems to me you have "Issues", as a child did you pull wings off Butterflies?, for someone who alledgedly was bought up in the Country you seem to have a total lack of respect for it.

I feel for you ,genuinely feel sorry for you, no logic at all.Its a bit like people who hunt foxes with hounds, they justify it by saying its vermin control but what they fail to tell people is they introduce Foxes into areas specifically to hunt them.

Take The Isle of White,there were no foxes on the Isle of White until the Hunts introduced them.........to hunt..

Like I said I've ferreted and rough shot so i'm no Towny..

If you grew up on a farm you would know there is !!!! everywhere, farm animals,wild animals,rats,mice etc and you can't kill em all...

You really need to get a life.
  • capeverde
    capeverde Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    didnt do the butterfly thing, that would be silly. Had a great birds egg collection though and used to love riding out on my pony to watch the hunt even though I wasnt old enough to go out with it. Shame the pc brigade have ruined the sport.
  • leveller2911
    edited 17 April 2012 at 6:06PM
    Options
    capeverde wrote: »
    didnt do the butterfly thing, that would be silly. Had a great birds egg collection though and used to love riding out on my pony to watch the hunt even though I wasnt old enough to go out with it. Shame the pc brigade have ruined the sport.

You need to decide whether Hunting foxes with Hounds is Pest control or a sport?....

Question: If its pest control why did the hunts introduce foxes on the Isle of White when they were never native to the island?

Question: If its a sport then why is it after chasing the fox for possibly miles and the fox goes to ground the hunt sends in the terrier men and digs the fox out.. Wheres the sport in that?.If it were a sport once the fox goes to ground its game over and the fox has won..;) You can'y have it both ways..
    Hunts have also re-introduced foxes in other areas so they can hunt them..

Like I said, i've lived in the country all my life and don't have any problems with pest control as long as its done correctly..

House-Martins and Swallows are not pests, the moment they start nesting they are protected..Its knobs like you that put the real rural people to shame.
  • capeverde
    capeverde Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    Fox hunting is a sport and a social day out. If it was pest control we all know there are more efficient ways of dealing with them. I dont have a problem with this and dispatching the fox at the end is the way it is.

Any bird is a pest if its crapping all over my house wall and over the patio where my kids play. I will always reserve the right to deal with it how I see fit. Certainly some internet hardman like you who has to resort to calling people 'knobs' isnt going to even appear on my radar because youre irrelevant.
  • Isis_Black
    Isis_Black Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I must have respectful house sparrows :-)

In all the years they have been nesting in the corner of our house we have never had a problem with mess, but they will never mess near the nest site as that's risking attracting predators so they will mess elsewhere and also take the mess from thier babies elsewhere.

I never knew they were protected I'm even more proud I have them nesting in my house, they take up such a small space there's plenty of room for them, they are even above the corner of my bedroom and I hear them every now and thrn which is lovely , but referring to an earlier post they certainly don't bang around like teenagers you must have rats or squirrels up there for that much noise.

I'm so sad and disheartened at tjose who wish to harm these and other animals especially since they were here first and were invading thier territory but of course to many they don't care.

Also never mind if you have birds next in your garden crapping what about the birds flying over your at much risk from them crapping as resident birds.

I'm happy to say our house sparrows are back and there should be eggs on the nest now :-)
    One year I hope to get a little camera up there so we can che k out what they are doing, would be lovely to see :-)
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Mr_Ted
    Mr_Ted Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    Years ago we had Swifts used to nest under our eaves!

I have to say it was great watching and listening to them but we had a problem as the nest was directly outside a bedroom window and we started to get flea's in the house.

As a result when they had flown the nest for the year i demolished it and removed any sign of it, in the hope they would nest elsewhere.
    Didn't happen, they never came back at all as I have since found out they use the same nest site every year and probably as it could no longer be located they didnt return.

Swift are now very much in decline and we dont even see them in the area now, so I have a conscience about what i did as they were a beautiful site to watch and hear up and down the street at high speed doing unbelievable aerobatics!

It should be note that now it is illegal to disturb nesting birds of any sort, even the dratted pests!
    Signature removed
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Theres a big difference between vermin and protected birds like

Human Beings have hugely more impact on the planet and all the other creatures than they do on us, so it's us who are the vermin encoraching on every last inch of thier lives, what with our building homes and driveways on THIER space.

Live and let live I say:T
  • weenellie
    Options
    I do not have a problem with the birds but with the poo that I have to clean up every day on my front doorstep. My husband and I are in our 70's and took a bad stomach infection from cleaning up this mess. My problem is this, my daughter is going in for a bone marrow transplant in 2 weeks and we are looking after the family for her including a 2year old great grandson and I am terrified that I take an infection to them. I cannot not clean my front steps each morning as they are such a mess. I have 8 nests above my front door. I wish those people who wish they could have house martins could have mine
    weenellie
  • broonbear
    broonbear Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    under the 1930 'my dad can do what he wants to his property act' my dad removes any nest that has been built and placed a round ball of chicken wire in the nesting area , problem solved
  • leveller2911
    Options
    weenellie wrote: »
    I do not have a problem with the birds but with the poo that I have to clean up every day on my front doorstep. My husband and I are in our 70's and took a bad stomach infection from cleaning up this mess.

Just a quick question but how do you know the infection was specifically from cleaning up bird mess?.It could have come from 1,000,001 bacterias that we all come into contact with on a daily basis.

Birds mess everywhere and its highly likely you come into direct contact with it every day of your lives so in truth you have probably built up an immune system to cope with such infections.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure