How exactly does the jobcentre 'better off' calculation work??

Options
Heya i have been just looking on the net,
and have seen that when you go into the jobcentre to sign you can also ask the person to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

It says some stuff about how if you would be better off on benefits, instead of doing a minimum wage 40hours per week job,
that you can get various other benefits to fill this gap.

Does anyone know if thats ONLY for over 25s though??

Or is it for all people??

And also what costs will they deduct from what your salary would be, to workout which one you would be better off on?? :confused:

Because ive looked and seen my benefits amounts/costs is-
Under 25s LHA: £370 + JSA: £204 + Council Tax Benefit: £70

= 644 to pay my rent, council tax, food bills, and all other bills from.

Min wage x 40hours - basic travel to/from work-
Salary: £800 - Bus/Trainfare to work costs min/max: £140/£406

= £660/£394 to pay my rent, council tax, food bills, utility bills, and all other expenses from.

So i have no reason or motivation to look for any jobs on or near minimum wage,
as i am financially ALOT better off on benefits than i would be on a min wage job.

But so does anyone know if the 'Better of Calculation' does also count for people aged 18-24, not just over 25s??

And do they actually topup your income (after travel to work costs), to what your income after benefits would be??

Thanks

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Fortunately, your motivatioon, or lack of it, is unimportant, as is the better off calculation. If you are signing on you must apply for jobs that are available or you will find that your benefits are sanctioned for a period.
  • Angel89_2
    Angel89_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Fortunately, your motivatioon, or lack of it, is unimportant, as is the better off calculation. If you are signing on you must apply for jobs that are available or you will find that your benefits are sanctioned for a period.

Why exactly do they provide you with a better of calculation then though??

And there are also 100s n 100s of ways that you can fail getting any of the lower paid, if you ever even get an interview for them if you apply for them,
    without breaking any of the jsa regulations, so never being able to lose benefits money.

Ive already done my jsa agreement though and put that the min salary jobs il apply for are 16k+, or 18,500k+ if in london.

SO that wont even apply for me, untill after 3months.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    are you the same guy that lives in a bedsit in Surrey, but has a cleaner, and claims to be working the system do you don't have to work? I thought you had worked out that you never had to work again because you were able to claim our taxpayers' money and play the system?
  • Angel89_2
    Options
    alyth wrote: »
    are you the same guy that lives in a bedsit in Surrey, but has a cleaner, and claims to be working the system do you don't have to work? I thought you had worked out that you never had to work again because you were able to claim our taxpayers' money and play the system?

I live in a 'bedsit'? :rotfl::confused::rotfl:

And i don't ''work the system'',
    i just utilise the LHA housing system to its best and full potential. :o

The jsa system isnt very flexible financially though.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    yup, you are the same guy - in that case I will leave you to ponder why the job seekers system is not flexible - it's meant as a cushion to help you whilst you gain another job, not play the system to your own advantage.

I assume you have no pride in being able to pay your own bills, rather than taking and "utilising" the system.

Uh, what a horrible little person you must be.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So what are you saying then?

That you're just going to sit and fester going nowhere on a life of claiming hand outs....with no scope for progression, no ambition, no future and no way of bettering yourself?

Sheesh.......are some people really that small minded that they won't consider a particular employed position becuase they are too short sighted to see past what they could earn in the next three months?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    alyth wrote: »

Yep, our resident fraudster!
  • Angel89_2
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    So what are you saying then?

That you're just going to sit and fester going nowhere on a life of claiming hand outs....with no scope for progression, no ambition, no future and no way of bettering yourself?

Sheesh.......are some people really that small minded that they won't consider a particular employed position becuase they are too short sighted to see past what they could earn in the next three months?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

A life on benefits??

Ive only been on benefits for 3weeks!! :rotfl::rotfl:

And i dont even understand exactly what your question is directed at exactly from what i wrote... :confused:

If its that im ''small-minded'' cos id never do a min wage job,
    then yep i wont ever,
    but its not cos im small minded or think im too good for it... lol

I simply have set my min salary level at the level i put it in the agreement (which is still very very low),
    because theres no point in me getting a crap paying job that on its salary i wouldnt be able to do,
    even if i got it, as i simply couldnt afford the train fares to get there! :rolleyes:
  • hundredk
    hundredk Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angel89 wrote: »

A life on benefits??

Ive only been on benefits for 3weeks!! :rotfl::rotfl:

If its that im ''small-minded'' cos id never do a min wage job,
    then yep i wont ever,
    but its not cos im small minded or think im too good for it... lol

I simply have set my min salary level at the level i put it in the agreement (which is still very very low),
    because theres no point in me getting a crap paying job that on its salary i wouldnt be able to do,
    even if i got it, as i simply couldnt afford the train fares to get there! :rolleyes:
    Proof you are a liar/troll here when you were in work only last week, now you've been on benefits for 3 weeks.
    Im struggling enough as it is with my salary, let alone the struggle it would be if i lost salary and only had benefits.
    Doesn't take too long for the authorities to catch up with lying, cheating wretches, especially when they are young, inconsistent and not very bright.
  • Angel89_2
    edited 7 October 2009 at 12:37AM
    Options
    hundredk wrote: »
    Proof you are a liar/troll here when you were in work only last week, now you've been on benefits for 3 weeks.
    Doesn't take too long for the authorities to catch up with lying, cheating wretches, especially when they are young, inconsistent and not very bright.

post_old.gif 29-07-2009, 8:25 PM

I wrote that post back at the end of July you idiot. :rotfl::T:rotfl:
    I only resigned from my job 3weeks ago, giving my 2weeks notice the day before i started the 2weeks annual leave that id booked, and so put the claim in for benefits that afternoon.

And for the authorities to catch me commiting what criminal acts exactly?? :p:cool::rolleyes:

Im pretty sure the council knows exactly what ive done,
    as i didnt try to hide it from them at all, was very open infact.

The thing is, and they know this, is that i haven't actually committed any criminal actions,
    have merely dones things which could be called 'immoral',
    and so while they may hate it, hat how their system is, and hate what im doing,
    they actually cant take any action against me as theres been no illegal acts done. :o:A:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure