PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pork Belly?

Options

Comments

• dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll second globalds as Boston baked beans is one of my winter staples. I always pre-cook the beans in the pressure cooker. It speeds up the cooking time - although I like everything to cook together for a long time though.

Pre-cooking in plain water means that the beans will be soft and not hardened by any salt in the cooking, in the Marmite for instance. I then put everything in the slow cooker and leave overnight and the beans still pick up the flavour of the sauce.

I've also chopped and fried the belly slices till they're crispy and added them to pasta or macaroni cheese.

Belly pork is very popular and cheap here and I've even had a go at making my own bacon with it courtesy of HFW. Not perfect yet (did it for too long and it's a bit salty :rolleyes: ) but am going to work on it as you can't get 'real' bacon here.
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    sandy2 wrote: »
    I cut them into pieces, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a bit of sugar, some tomato puree, onions and some herbs, cook in slow cooker for as log as you need. Serve with potatoes, rice, pasta or crunchy bread.
    Out here in Spain it's called carne con Tomate and is served all the time in smallish portions as a tapas in the bars

i also use a tapas recipe for mine.

something along the lines of belly pork chopped up, chorizo sausage, can of chickpeas, chopped onion, mixed herbs, 1 tomato chopped up small and all simmered together. lovely with fresh crusty bread.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Slice potatoes, onions, carrots and anything else similar and layer in a dish with potaotes on top. It is possible to use frozen casserole or stewing mix. Put that into a dish and layer sliced potatoes over the top. Layered potatoes and cooking apples are also delish, my favourite.

Put half a pint of stock into the veg. Dip the pork slices in beaten egg or milk. Then roll them in breadcrumbs and herbs, or value stuffing mix. Lay this on top of the vegetables and bake in the oven for an hour at 180degrees. Mix stock and a tablespoon of cornflour to a quarter of a pint and pour into the veg. Put back in the oven for 15 minutes.

If the pork browns too much lay foil over

This is a very traditional and really delish meal.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    if you want to be quick, just slather plenty of dijon mustard on both sides and either grill or roast them. delicious! (but mind your fillings, as already said). alternatively marinade them in some soy sauce before grilling.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • NoahsPennilessMummy
    Options
    Hi

I got some belly pork from butchers but now am not sure how to cook it:rolleyes:
    its one of the few things I have never cooked before.

its in thick strips if thats any help!

claire
    xxx
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    In the oven in a barbeque type sauce is very nice.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Pork 'n' HM beans ;)

We have a long thread with loads more ideas. I'll add this to keep suggestions together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Belly pork is ace - a cracking cut!

I like to casserole it with veggies in the slow cooker, or gently bake it in BBQ sauce in a low oven. Another way is to take slices and fry them slowly with onions and garlic until they're tender, then serve up with boiled potatoes (or spring onion mash!) and savoy cabbage tossed in butter and caraway seed.

Top drawer...... :j
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• mumsrus
    mumsrus Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    i had pork belly strips last week rubbed with cajan spices mixed in with olive oil then roasted, mmm lovely, i love the fat, a woman thing i think, my husband cant stand them.
    De-clutter this year 10kg:j
    2014 start credit card debt £4,775.42:eek:Amount paid this year £150
  • cassieshane
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

In a bid to be more adventurous with what meat I cook I bought some belly pork strips with a view to doing a casserole in the slow cooker. I've since read that belly pork goes very chewy in the slow cooker. I'd love some advice if anyone has tried..
    I also have a remoska (best thing ever!) would I be better using that?

Thanks in advance
    Cassieshane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family