PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pork Belly?

Options

Comments

• janejustjane
    janejustjane Posts: 64 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2009 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Slices, or rounds about 1" thick of belly pork are nice cooked in a slow cooker, just covered with a mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce, plum sauce, plus a few star anise. I have found belly pork from the butcher tends to be less fatty than that from the supermarkets.
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Raspberry_Swirl Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    We had marinated belly slices on the BBQ yesterday and they were wonderful! The extra fat really stopped them from going tough like pork can on the BBQ sometimes.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    This is quite a specific question to the pork belly eaters. Does the breed of pig make a big difference to the fat content on a pork belly joint or does the lifestyle of the pig (ie-free range) make more of a difference?

I bought a pork belly joint from a local butcher last week and it was extremely fatty, but tasty. I've since seen images on the net of leaner cuts of pork belly, but unfortunately there's no additional information on the pig or conditions it was kept. Can anyone be more specific on what makes for a leaner pork belly joint. Thanks:D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    This is quite a specific question to the pork belly eaters. Does the breed of pig make a big difference to the fat content on a pork belly joint or does the lifestyle of the pig (ie-free range) make more of a difference?

I bought a pork belly joint from a local butcher last week and it was extremely fatty, but tasty. I've since seen images on the net of leaner cuts of pork belly, but unfortunately there's no additional information on the pig or conditions it was kept. Can anyone be more specific on what makes for a leaner pork belly joint. Thanks:D

The breed makes loads of difference to the eating qualities of the pork, but so does the rearing conditions (out door, indoor, intensive, longer maturing, etc, etc.)

I don't know which breed is leanest (I can check in my pig-rearing books when I get home) but suspect it'll be the modern hybrids (eg Landrace/Duroc crosses).

We eat Berkshire pork which has a reputation for being fatty, but IMHO, that's what gives it flavour, and when it's cooked, the fat can easily be drained off. The meat doesn't have a fatty feel to it once it's cooked.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a visual aid to help explain my post. Below are two photos of different pork belly joints, the top one being similar to what my butcher sold me.

Do you think ageing the joint would make a big difference?

6a00d83451f83a69e200e55.jpg

247360320_81fd4b0800.jpg
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    Here's a visual aid to help explain my post. Below are two photos of different pork belly joints, the top one being similar to what my butcher sold me.

Do you think ageing the joint would make a big difference?

I meant ageing the pig, not the joint ;) Traditional breeds of pig are raised for longer which gives IMHO a a better flavour and texture of meat.

I wouldn't buy the top joint. It's not the thickness of the fat that would put me off, it's the colour and texture of it that look unappealing.

When I defrost my Berkshire belly joint, I'll see if I can take a pic and show you what I mean ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can find it, I rather like roast belly pork from a Gloucester Old Spot - not always the leanest, but good flavour.

Regards,

White
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    I always think that you need a good element of fat on a belly joint to give it the flavour.

I tend to slow-roast that cut, on a very low temperature to render the fat & give flavour to and moisten the meat.
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find belly pork always looks fatty, but cooked slowly the fat renders out and its not that fatty. I agree with Penny, the top joint looks anaemic and unappetising, wouldn't buy it-yuck...
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I thought the point of belly was the fat!
    But then I've never bought any... just seen it on TV ;)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure