Tesco vouchers (is this a scam?)

Options
Hi, apologies if this has been mentioned before.Yesterday my boyfriend went to do some food shopping at our local Tesco's, he was standing behind a woman who had at least £50's worth of shopping, she handed over a load of vouchers and her shopping came to £3.50!!He enquired with this lady and she said all she had done was print off some vouchers online, she said it doesn't matter if your buying the item the vouchers is for as long as the store stocks it you get the discount???I thought nothing of it but a guy I work with came into work saying he just purchased £60's worth of stuff at tescos used some vouchers and only paid 50p!! Has anybody else heard this? apparently some people are seliing these vouchers too!
Official DFW No*354

Comments

• nilrs
    nilrs Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    yes i have heard of this i think over on the discount codes board at the top there is a thread with printable discount vouchers/codes. and if memory serves me right it is all over on there.

kim
  • scottishchick27
    Options
    I sometimes use a voucher to pay for shopping even if I haven't bought the item. Nowhere I shop would take all that vouchers though, the maximum is usually 10% of your total shop.
    :j little fire cracker born 5th November 2012 :j
  • ralphy
    ralphy Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i've spent 20 minutes waiting behind someone once in tesco paying for their shopping with vouchers, they had about £93 worth of shopping and she bought out a clear plastic wallet full of vouchers and proceeded to use them all to pay for it... her final total to pay was about £6!!!!!!

i couldn't believe it, i spoke to the checkout guy and he said you can use any vouchers to get money off your shopping even if you don't buy the actual product, so ever since i've been collecting every voucher i can get my hands on and using it to pay for my shopping!!!!

i've seen a few people doing the same
    :wave:
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    depends where you shop- at my local Tescos, they check every voucher with each product- they also call over the manager if your using more then one coupon. Becomes a pain when everyone in the queue has a voucher of some sort!

Some Tesocs are like that, others are more lax, but if the store are unable to get their money back on the vouchers that are handed in, they will change the way they accept them and if they accept them. Its otherwise known as voucher abuse.

Some stores I have heard only accept one or two vouchers per person.
  • Good2go_2
    Good2go_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    surely this is illegal ??? sounds very much like fraud/obtaining property by deception to me ???
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    depends where you shop- at my local Tescos, they check every voucher with each product- they also call over the manager if your using more then one coupon. Becomes a pain when everyone in the queue has a voucher of some sort!

Some Tesocs are like that, others are more lax, but if the store are unable to get their money back on the vouchers that are handed in, they will change the way they accept them and if they accept them. Its otherwise known as voucher abuse.

Some stores I have heard only accept one or two vouchers per person.[/QUOTE]

Then they need to be retrained, Tesco policy is that they accept 2 coupons the same for each product you actually buy and one of each coupon if you haven't bought the item.

This is a nationwide Tesco policy that head office will confirm if contact them, but as ever some store staff make up their own rules.

Before anyone discusses my shopping habits I don't use money off coupons.
  • ~~Diane~~
    ~~Diane~~ Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don't use coupons anymore and when I did I only used them if I bought the item. I had £5 off a box of soap powder once that was sent from the company, the till girl would not take it and called the duty manager over and she said no, it was clear I had bought the soap powder, the box was big enough. I phoned head office when I got home and explained what had happened, they apologised and said the voucher should have been taken considering I had bought the product and sent me £10 off my next shop.

The shop was Asda by the way
    2011 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £743.32
    2012 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £435.75
    2013 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £300 ~ saved £521
    2014 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £400 ~ saved
  • bargainlover08
    Options
    I use vouchers and was told by customer services in my local Tesco that they will accept up to a third of the value of your shopping in vouchers for items you have not bought. The rule seems to vary between stores, some will accept more and some will only accept 2 coupons.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh, I am going to try this next time I visit Mr. T ' s.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • h007
    h007 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    julie_d wrote: »
    Gosh, I am going to try this next time I visit Mr. T ' s.
    lol me too!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport