MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you pay the cabbie?

Comments

• jenniewb wrote: »
    If you got in the cab expeting to pay £20, the driver took you to your destination and everything was as expected (aside from the jumping or a red light which is dangerous and not OK) you should pay up.

surely the meter is like a price sticker in a shop- its an invitation to sell at that price, not the law to sell at that price. And in that same vein, not to pay up would be an offence itself.

The meter price isn't like a sticker price in a shop at all...the law quite clearly says that hackney carriages must set their meter, the meters must be calibrated to the rates set by the local authority and to attempt to charge more than the metered fare is a criminal offence. Hackney carriages must also take the shortest route to the destination - unnecessarily prolonging a journey in any way (ie so the meter ticks on a little longer) is also a criminal offence.

Failing to pay a fare isn't a criminal offence that i'm aware of...like failure to pay on any contract it's a civil issue and the debt could be pursued through the county courts.

Other posts mentioned cabbies locking passengers in...it is something that happens, but they can get into an awful lot of trouble for doing it! Locking a passenger in a vehicle is considered false imprisonment and isn't acceptable. I am aware of a number of instances where cabbies have been unhappy with behaviour of passengers or thought they wouldn't get paid and have locked passengers in and driven them to the police station (with the hopes that the police will 'sort out' the passenger) only to find themselves in a lot of hot water.

Another comment was made about insurance being invalid if meters are not set...in some instances that is quite right. Some insurance policies will have a disclaimer about the vehicle being used 'in accordance with the licence conditions' or something similar. If the driver is breaching the licence conditions by not setting the meter the insurance company may choose not to pay out in the event of a collision. (most would meet public liability requirements of the road traffic act though)

There are a lot of professional, hard working, honest cabbies out there who do a wonderful job...but there are also a fair few who will take advantage of anyone who doesn't know their rights.

b
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • don't the last the last two messages sum it all up, I will always avoid taking a black cab, over a private hire car. the latter takes me from A to B for a known fied fee, the former with its 'CLOCK' will cost you 1. what ever the driver wants
    2. what ever the traffic conditions dictate (do they stop the clock if tower bridge is up?) 3. what ever the weather?
    Having used both for the same journey the black cab was never the same cost and always more expensive, up to 50%.
  • Personally, I'd probably just pay it.

Not enough of a dent in the wallet to waste my time with.

I guess you really never know until you are in the situation though. Easy to sit back and say what you would do...
  • The 'clock' is an invitation to make journeys take longer.
    It's not the cabbies fault if the traffic is bad but its not yours either , so why should it cost you more because the journey takes longer? Costing journeys by elapsed time is inherently unfair and should be scrapped!
  • So £20 isn't enough to worry about so why bother posting your message unless, its to make us also-rans jealous
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2009 at 11:40PM
    My, there are a few cynics on here! It's money saving expert, not money paranoia expert.

I would pay the going rate. I've had the full journey and it's what I was going to pay anyway, so why should I cash in as if I just got 3-4 numbers on the lottery for someone else's clerical mistake?

The law is the law ultimately (is that just London cabs?) but it doesn't make it "right" in every situation: it's there to protect passengers from fraud, not to give them excuses to wriggle out of paying. All that does really is get the cost passed on to everyone else.

Taxi drivers making too much money? I don't know how many taxi drivers you know, but I know a few, and they pretty much scrape a living as it's a high competition business. I'd certainly not say they're on the level of the title professions :eek:
  • Why cheat the taxi driver out of his due fare, especially knowing in advance what the cost of the journey is ?
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    winnoch wrote: »
    Watching that meter count up at 20p every few seconds gets my back up instantly. There can't be many jobs with that rate of pay outside of the professions and I feel it's very poor value for just being driven from A to B. Yes cabbies have over-heads to do with their vehicle (who doesn't?) and I'm sure a few more bills than most motorists due to the constant use and licensing requirements, etc, but it still seems like there is far too high a profit being made.

My DH just has a 24k top of the range Galaxy to pay,
    MOTs every year (even though it is new)
    Servicing every four-six months - due to milage
    A few grand in public liability insurance,
    Licence for him from PCO,
    Licence for car from PCO,
    Enhanced CRBs,
    Private medicals for licence.
    Over £100 every week to office (double over xmas period).
    Car check on behalf of PCO to get licence.
    Mini valet every week.
    Gets through tyres & brake pads like no ones business.
    Accountant fees as self employed.

Yeah a few extras your regular motorist doesn't have:rolleyes:

Thats off the top of my head, I'm sure I've missed some out.
    Lets not forget that as a self employed person you need to put away some of your profit to cover sickness & holiday pay too.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The 'clock' is an invitation to make journeys take longer.
    It's not the cabbies fault if the traffic is bad but its not yours either , so why should it cost you more because the journey takes longer? Costing journeys by elapsed time is inherently unfair and should be scrapped!

I get paid by the hour, don't most people:rolleyes:
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Failing to pay a fare isn't a criminal offence that i'm aware of...like failure to pay on any contract it's a civil issue and the debt could be pursued through the county courts.

Not sure, but my DH has always offered a free ride to the police station for anyone that doesn't want to pay their fare;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure