October 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 September 2009 at 5:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
890 replies 51.7K views

Replies

• edited 4 October 2009 at 4:26PM
    KerfuffleKerfuffle Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2009 at 4:26PM
    Hi rosieben,
    rosieben wrote: »
    any chance of your maple syrup baked bean recipe please kerfuffle? :j

Aww, I really wish I could but it's out of a tin, lol.

Mr Heinz makes it though......... :confused: ( I bought the smart-no frills-basic-value-no name equivalent ;) )

Presumably it could be done following the baked bean recipe that's on this site somewhere and putting maple syrup in it.

Sorry.:o
  • edited 4 October 2009 at 4:33PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2009 at 4:33PM
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    ... Aww, I really wish I could but it's out of a tin, lol.

Mr Heinz makes it though......... :confused:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ok, I've never seen them :o but I usually shop online these days; I like the sound of them so I'll have a look when I do my next shop ;)

Rats! just looked on sains and mrt and no maple syrup beans :( I'll have to find a recipe and make my own :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • KerfuffleKerfuffle Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi rosieben
    rosieben wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ok, I've never seen them :o but I usually shop online these days; I like the sound of them so I'll have a look when I do my next shop ;)

Our posts are crossing, how funny is that!

Actually, don't trawl the shops looking, I'm in Canada so I don't think you'll find them in the UK.
  • Cat_AddictCat_Addict Forumite
    349 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Will be following this thread every day for ideas. Can't post a target spend because OH buys the groceries. Thanks to everyone in advance.
    Wendy x
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    .... Actually, don't trawl the shops looking, I'm in Canada so I don't think you'll find them in the UK.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: that could be why I'm not finding them ....
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been for a small-ish spend today, after 2 NSDs.

Went to Mr M for bread - and got bread (2x35p loaves, offer ended today and we only had 2 crusts in the house)
    Went to A1di for milk - and got 2x 1litre semi-skimmed (2x49p)

Then I called into Co-Op and things went (partially) awry.

We were due to have frozen veg with tea tonight, but they had Brocolli in Whoopsie (48p instead of 95p - have seem same/cheaper prices locally, but this was the nicest looking I've seen!) so have got that to use with some 'need to use up' fresh carrots that were destined for the freezer ;)

Also got a pack of 2 Garlic Baguettes (50p, reduced from £1) which I was pleased about - a saving against the 84p Mr T value which aren't as nice and were on my shopping list for later this month :)

I also picked up a tub of single cream (45p instead of 99p) which isn't officially an 'essential' - but I find it easier to drink coffee made with cream, and after having had only 7 hours sleep since getting up on Friday morning I'm in desperate need of a caffeine 'fix' to keep me awake until closer to bed time (need to be up at 6:30am tomorrow, and will then have to survive 2.5hrs with a group of 26 3-4 year olds !!)

Now just under 13% of the way thought the month, and almost 41.25% of the way though my budget !!!! Shouldn't need anything else until Wednesday - but hope to make the milk last until Thursday...........

Aiming for an many NSDs as possible this month - best to date was 18 in July, so that's my target to beat. Should be feasabile given given how little I need for the rest of the month.
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £124. Spent £21.53 in shops + £8.84 from stocks + £4.10 discounts squirreled away = £34.47
    Grocery Budget : 2022 £1560. Spent £21.53 in shops + £8.84 from stocks + £4.10 discounts squirrelled away = £34.47
  • jaywardjayward Forumite
    541 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i too have been to mr M for their bargins,got some fish in mr A too so i have spent too much around 29 pounds:o
  • milliemonstermilliemonster Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, can I join the grocery challenge please? I have just started a new job so both me and hubby are now paid on the last working day of the month (in my old job I was paid on 20th so it made things a bit awkward with budgeting)

My budget for this month I am going to say is £350 for the four of us although I have spent £134.94 of that already!!!) but I am aiming to do a big shop at the beginning of each month and stock up and do smaller shops for the rest of the month. Going to try to get in to around £250 a month in time.
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • scotmumof3scotmumof3 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone just back from Tesco spent £12.43 on loo rolls milk frzn chips biscs and cola. I am trying to quit the caffeine habit but it's really hard I don't like coffee and not too partial to tea either. I have switched from pepsi to a cheaper brand so I've made a little difference.and the loo rolls were andrex 3 extra free which worked out cheaper than tesco ones. :A We are having mac and cheese tonight ( I made double last week ) with salad so a little saving there although I would much rather be at Highland Flings hous€ st€ak pi€ sounds lov€ly
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • mama67 wrote: »
    what rice was this please as we use loads and to get 20kg for £5 is great value

sorry to confuse you - it's the Laila rice on for £5 per bag. Just double checked & the bags are 5kg not 10kg - my mistake! They aer reduced from 13.99 (not that i would ever have paid £13.99 for it!) but probably not available in all shops as they re an Asian brand. If you have any Asian shops near you, try them as they work out cheaper!

Went back to Tesco today after i found a £7 off a £50 shop which expires today so have stocked up on more stuff! Fishfingers, prawns, pizzas, kids yoghurts & lunchbox stuff - got a trolleyfull for £64 and used a couple of other MOCS which went through fine - so paid £52 in total (which is still a lot of money but freezer is well and truly stocked now!)

Milliemonster - planning to do the same as you. Big shop at the beginning of the month (which been done this weekend!) and smaller shops as needed to top up fruit, bread and milk - maybe try for £10 a week on these - we use 1 milk a day and 2 breads a week.

Let's see how we go!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides