October 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 September 2009 at 4:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
890 replies 51.7K views

Replies

• *Jellie**Jellie* Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £29.76 spent on first shop of the month

Meal plan this week relies heavily on food already in fridge and freezer. Sausage casserole, chicken and rice, steak, and cod with potato salad are main meals planned and making more soup too.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • I am delighted with myself this weekend - I spent nothing on groceries!! I had vouchers that were due to expire, and old points on a card that I never remember to use, so it should have been €52.12, but it actually cost me nothing!!

There were a few extra things not on the list in the trolley - wipes that we use all the time were BOGOF, and DH and DD insisted on a hunk of brie after going back to taste it about 3 times (in fairness, we all love cheese and it will get eaten).

We had a tomato and tagliatelle dish on Saturday - using our own tomatoes. Yesterday was bacon and cabbage and potatoes - HG spuds and cabbage, and whoopsied bacon (but not very nice joint so will be more careful about which joint in future). Scrambled eggs and liver for lunch, followed by a couple of chocolate cookies (from roll of doing in freezer, cooked while DD's pizza was cooking Sat pm). I made a pot of brocolli soup as well - put a couple of portions in freezer and have some today for my lunch.

DH has made a chilli for tonight, we are having chorizo and potato bake tomorrow night (HG spuds and tomatoes), I have to buy some chops or chicken for Wed (we have a cauliflower that is just perfect to use up), frozen prawns, veggies, sauce and rice on Thursday, and nasi goreng using leftover rice on friday (all sorts of veggies, a tin of tuna and a half tin of sweetcorn, and some curry powder).

So I shouldn't have to buy anything, apart from meat for Wed, until the weekend. And I even got a voucher for a free loaf of bread and 2 litre carton of milk next weekend!!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Morning everyone

Budgets done up to and including Mrsgibbs1503

Must fly now - have a nice day everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • yummymummy05yummymummy05 Forumite
    98 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ooh dear - thigs are going wrong - my main problem is being forgetfull!! I had to get some more dummies for DD (she's teething really badly and has a habit of flinging them I have 'lost 2 dummies this month and have no idea where they are!!) and while I was at Mr A's I also got a birthday cake for DH (I don't know why I wasn't going to make one??) some whoopsied grapes (£1.68) and eggs (which were on my list).

DH also went to Mr T's yesterday as DD has a cold I asked if he could get her some jar food as that's all she really eats when she's not well and he ended up spending £12! so all in all another £26.55 to add to my sig.
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • yummymummy05yummymummy05 Forumite
    98 Posts
    Arrgh just realised I did my 2 week shkop in the village on saturday and spent another £25!!!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    spent £45 in Waitrose on saturday ( using the £5 voucher in the sun)
    and topped up at tesco today , another £28 ! I hope thats it for this week

just to let you know in tesco they have a box of weetabix 72 size for £3 :j ( the 48 size is £3.32 so a bargain :j:j)
  • chocolatebumchocolatebum Forumite
    334 Posts
    ✭✭
    a wee shop at M's today picked up some sausages on offer and some reduced raspberries/strawberries, also some curry sauce to make a curry with leftover chicken from yesterdays dinner spent £7.84
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • Am all stocked up now for the next 2 weeks (hopefully) with some fresh milk and fruit n veg

So heres hoping I can stay out of the shops!

Sam
    Sep GC - £465/£400:rolleyes: Oct GC - £401/400 ;) Nov GC - £ 291.32/400
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hello peeps,

i've managed to not spend but hubby on the other hand..........so have updated my siggy.

still job hunting so keep those fingers crossed for me peeps!

am planning to potter off and make some soup, just veggie and maybe have a go at the apple braids if i have enough flour, otherwise they'll wait til later in the week

ioiwe :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just on to update my sig. Spent £11.66 yesterday in MrT on some packed lunch sandwich fillers, crisps, and veg for our roast dinner. Eating loads more veg at the mo as I'm on S/world and it's FREE!!! (well calorie-wise anyway).

Small spend on a savoy cabbage today - 60p in MrS.

Have a MrT shop coming tomorrow evening. Had a voucher through the post for £10 off a £50 shop, so have stocked up on washing tabs, dog food, meat for the freezer, pasta etc., so will only need fresh f&v for the next week or so.

Hoping to come in on budget this month.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: PL Italy by Satsuma Street
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals