Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Digital outdoor TV Aerial Question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
3 replies 785 views
NAT.B_2NAT.B_2 Forumite
240 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi there,

Could anyone please help, I havent got a clue! lol

We have a freeview digi box, but the picture isnt that great, also my son had a new TV brought for him April time and he hasnt been able to watch it as he has an even poorer picture on it.

Our aerial on the roof is very old, would we need to buy another aerial or an digital outdoor aerial?

Many thanks

Replies

• tfsparktfspark Forumite
    129 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Do a postcode check on the digital tv website to see what services you can get in your area.

If you watch terrestrial tv, ie bbc1,2, itv, channel 4, & 5 there is a teletext test page that will give you some idea if you are receiving a good signal.
    Go to bbc 1 and look at teletext page 284. It gives you an explanation but basically if you can see all the squares you are ok.

If you are getting some sort of freeview at the moment then what signal strength do you get on any given channel. If its less than 85% then you may have problems.
  • TribulationTribulation Forumite
    4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tfspark wrote: »
    Do a postcode check on the digital tv website to see what services you can get in your area.

I don't find that very accurate but maybe I live in a blip so to speak.

2 years ago it said we wouldn't get any signal, hence Argos etc didn't want to sell me a box.

But my neighbour had one and it worked fine. I got one off the net and it too works fine on all channels with the exception of if there's a thunder storm, then I loose some.

Even today it says I will receive poor or variable reception on all channels, having to wait untol 2011 for a good reception.

I'd ask your nearby neighbours to see if they have it and how well they get it. If they get it fine, then chances are your aerial needs upgrading (or pointing the right way) but if they all get the same problems, then your probably out of luck for a while.

I also know someone in a poor signal area that paid £200 to an aerial company for a top of the range signal boosting aerial . They are now at war with them as their signal is just as bad.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    The OP states that he/she has a poor picture, that isn't always down to the aerial, it could just be a poor quality TV.

Can the OP explain fully what is meant by a poor picture ?...:confused:
This discussion has been closed.