severn trent water, single help

me and my ex split up last year. but i have continued to pay the amounts on the payment schedule. the problem is she is a joint name on the bill

so i was wondering if i rang them up, and took her off (which i will do any way)

can i get the water amounts reduced??? as im living on my own.

and how is it reduced?

for eg is it a reduced rate per litre or the same rate per litre but it goes off what i actually use etc

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    You pay the same no matter how many people are in the house
  • i am a consultant for stw, and the above poster is correct, you pay the bill for the property, not the ammount of people.
  • Hello

It all depends on whether you can have a water meter fitted. If you live by yourself and a water metre can't be fitted at your property you can apply for the single person occupancy rate. You need to provide evidence that you live alone and sign a form, and STW has to have put your property down as not being able to fit a water meter. I am on this rate and it works out a bit cheaper. Saying all that, if you do live by yourself and you can have a water meter fitted, and don't have water leaks or dripping taps etc., a meter should work out cheaper than rates.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    madrhino wrote: »
    Hello

It all depends on whether you can have a water meter fitted. If you live by yourself and a water metre can't be fitted at your property you can apply for the single person occupancy rate. You need to provide evidence that you live alone and sign a form, and STW has to have put your property down as not being able to fit a water meter. I am on this rate and it works out a bit cheaper. Saying all that, if you do live by yourself and you can have a water meter fitted, and don't have water leaks or dripping taps etc., a meter should work out cheaper than rates.

The OP has a water meter:
    eg is it a reduced rate per litre or the same rate per litre but it goes off what i actually use etc
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    madrhino wrote: »
    Hello

I have the same madrhino - STW cannot fit a meter in my flat, the stopcock is in the bathroom behind a wooden panel and you can barely get your hand through the little flap that has been fitted go gain access to it. It certainly does work out a bit cheaper.
  • i have got a meter, it says on the severn trent website, but i dont know where it is,
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    I think ST use external transmitters on the wall IIRC, they should know where its fitted tho a note should be on there system.
  • Now you're single, when your meter is read it should turn out that you use less water, so maybe you can get them to reduce the monthly direct debit.
  • Horace wrote: »
    I have the same madrhino - STW cannot fit a meter in my flat, the stopcock is in the bathroom behind a wooden panel and you can barely get your hand through the little flap that has been fitted go gain access to it. It certainly does work out a bit cheaper.

After they came round they put on my account that I needed to move a couple of things to fit the meter in. I had to explain to them that taking off the skirting board and cutting a hole in the side of the bath was not really moving things, it was more like remodelling. I live in a rented property too, so my landlord wouldn't be too happy. They agreed to give me that rate in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure