We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

University Ruined My Life!

Options

Comments

• vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2009 at 6:00PM
    Options
    people need to stop looking from the money side of things regarding degrees.

I got a degree purely for the pleasure of having one, and graduating at a ceremony wearing the academic robes.

Plus, regarding the student loan, you never pay anything back anyway apart from a small pocket change amount if earning over 15K.

I never had the ambition of having a top paying job even before i entered university, not even having a graduate job.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP, your a student so did you not ask about what this job(the job you got with the help from the girl at the golf course) would entail
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    vaporate wrote: »
    people need to stop looking from the money side of things regarding degrees.

I got a degree purely for the pleasure of having one, and graduating at a ceremony wearing the academic robes.

Plus, regarding the student loan, you never pay anything back anyway apart from a small pocket change amount if earning over 15K.

I never had the ambition of having a top paying job even before i entered university, not even having a graduate job.

I agree with what you are saying, studying is worth it for its own sake and in the ideal world it would be great if everyone who could benefit from a university education could have one.

When I was teaching, many years ago I was always advising children to aim for university, but this is not an ideal world as people have to pay for a degree. I feel very sorry for youngsters these days. When you are in your 20s and 30s it is a very expensive time anyway, you are tyring to get set up; buying a house, furniture, a car, maybe marrying and starting a family and to do all that with a massive debt around your neck is just not on.
  • vaporate
    Options
    It is hard. My sister always panicks about having a student loan but I don't.

The loan will never be paid back so why they bother charging us graduates, or those who left with the loans without passing, is beyond my understanding.

Getting a mortgage is also out of the question for me too, unless you get married and are both earnign 2k a month each to be well enough off.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dave4545454
    Options
    vaporate wrote: »
    It is hard. My sister always panicks about having a student loan but I don't.

The loan will never be paid back so why they bother charging us graduates, or those who left with the loans without passing, is beyond my understanding.

Getting a mortgage is also out of the question for me too, unless you get married and are both earnign 2k a month each to be well enough off.

unfortunately that is very true, i have total sympathy for anyone graduating these days:(
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    I think OP you should have researched your degree a bit better, I do have sympathy for you as I worked in law in both London and Scotland until a couple of years ago for many years, ILEX graduates are taking over a lot of the roles of traditional solicitors, many of whom are legal secs who want to improve their careers prospects.

I also feel incredibly sorry for those graduating with massives loans, I'm not sure how the paying back system works, I think it is if you earn over £15K (!). I am on an access course just now and all my fees are paid and I get a bursary, I also have funding to last me through four years of uni so will take the loan and invest it, I could not go to uni and know that I owed £20K or whatever it is when you start working.

Good luck in your career vaporate, law unfortuantely is massively over-subscribed at uni and most law firms have reined in their recruitment, if it is truly what you want then you will succeed at it!
  • Raquela
    Options
    yep, in law firms I've worked for, ILEX lawyers were only doing PI, Conveyancing or Probate. Not what I'd ever want to be doing personally!

I still love the law, but any future career in law I'd want to be in an academic sense, not as a solicitor I don't think.

FWIW, I did graduate from one of those top institutions, and did get a 2.1, but my A level results were crap, and also a lot of my exam grades were 2.2s, despite the fact I got a 2.1 overall, and did brilliantly in the subjects I wanted to practice in. Turns out the A levels and exam grades mattered alot. My applications were top notch, but so were the people who were great grades on paper. One of those things! But in hindsight, I'm definitely glad I didn't get a training contract
  • vaporate
    Options
    Truth be told, i will never get a mortgage, unless i get married and both work.

This will sound crazy but the only thing i will ever own is if i buy a house boat on a loan or caravan or shack lol

Still, im sure i can at least get some decent savings. Hence my signature.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting post Raquela, I'm on an access course doing Highers (A levels in English) and never considered the fact that my higher results would still be regarded as important even once I have got my degree!

Vaporate, is having a mortgage important to you? from memory you are 23, I am 39 and just starting on my journey into academia, I'm lucky in that I have 20 years worth of savings and a six figure divorce settlement, so am able to follow my dreams, go for what you believe in, you got your degree, granted it hasn't worked out for you in the way you thought it would, you have your masters, if I were you I would go travelling the world for a few years, enjoy my life, not worry about settling down into marriage and mortgages!
  • vaporate
    edited 24 September 2009 at 11:03PM
    Options
    alyth wrote: »
    Interesting post Raquela, I'm on an access course doing Highers (A levels in English) and never considered the fact that my higher results would still be regarded as important even once I have got my degree!

Vaporate, is having a mortgage important to you? from memory you are 23, I am 39 and just starting on my journey into academia, I'm lucky in that I have 20 years worth of savings and a six figure divorce settlement, so am able to follow my dreams, go for what you believe in, you got your degree, granted it hasn't worked out for you in the way you thought it would, you have your masters, if I were you I would go travelling the world for a few years, enjoy my life, not worry about settling down into marriage and mortgages!

Thanks alyth: right now im just scrambling for cash for savings, albeit not to be used for anything but for a rainy day or retirement.

ive been to america, poland, czech republic, spain, gibralter, france so far, not bad for 23.

Poland was the best. little village called borne sulinowo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport