Dfw stalwarts labelled as trolls - enough is enough

Wol2
Wol2 Posts: 3,845 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 September 2009 at 3:06AM in Site feedback
I'm not one to post on this board usually ........but I do feel moved to post this for the attention of MSE towers/MARTIN after tonight:

I do understand and appreciate why the diaries were split off from the main DFW board. And I have gone with the flow.

However tonight I feel moved enough to post some comments about one of the outcomes that appear to be resulting from this move.

There are masses more new DFW posts each day. Many of them are repetitive situations.

There are fewer experienced DFW's prepared to spend time answering these posts and those that would have done previously now inhabit the diairies sub-board.

The few that are left and still posting on main DFW are to be treasured. (and there's not many of us left and I dont include me in them )

What is happening is that younger board members are feeling confident enough to reply to newbies and fill the gap left by some of the oldsters. Great and well done..... BUT...... the advice is far from exact and is actually misleading in some cases. Bless them...but asking for an SOA is not necessarly the first response to a CCJ enquiry.

Most importantly, when oldsters now come back to post..with good questions to qualify the nature of the enquiry......and also perhaps with more sagacious experiences and sounding out the wheat from the chaff in the back of their minds...they now get accused of/reported as being trolls by the "new but I consider myself experienced" posters. .....As has happened yet again tonight,

So we are left with
a) newbies receiving inaccurate and misleading advice from nearly newbies
b) oldsters being restricted to maybe less than 10 who are prepared to offer proper and accurate advice on the main board
c|) other oldsters being classified as trolls by nearly newbies when they do venture back on and ask leading questions in order to dispense accurate advice pertaining to the indivdual Op situation
d) rest of the oldsters being confined to the diary board and not wanting to venture back onto the main board
And let's face it...why should the oldsters venture back onto the main board if they are going to be accused of being a troll by someone who really hasn;t got the "life experience" yet but clearly believes they have the authority to bandy the word troll about with impunity simply because they have x number of posts on a challenge/chat thread to their name ......or a student loan

Tonight one old stalwart (somone who I have never conversed with/crossed threads with before) ventured onto a thread only to be branded a troll (for no good reason other than they asked questions that needed to be asked). They were branded a troll by a newish poster...but as the thread unfolded it was clear that the oldies initial gut feeling was right.

Sorry guys and gals...I dont normally "vent"...but in my opinion we need all the experienced posters we can muster to handle the glut of new posts every day on DFW main board....and retain credibility and accuracy...and the reputation of MSE......

If you look at most of the initial replies to new posts these days......they are insubstantial, empathetic (no bad thing but....) or "bump" posts.......because there are not enough experienced stalwarts anymore who are prepared to answer with the factual information within tidy time limits.

Maybe we need to find new stalwarts from other boards....whatever...but clearly the "standard of service" on the main DFW board has gone rapidly downhill since the split....many of the enquiries are noW being handled (inaccurately) by inexperienced newbies ..... and the branding of stalwarts/long term posters as trolls by these relatively new (naive) posters (as tonight) is not helping matters.

I am not proposing you have to merge the diaries back with the main board...I just think you need to be aware of the developing situation especially with the glut of new posters (and their right to be protected).......and the shift towards the subjects now being covered..and the inadequacy of the responses posted.....so you can monitor the situation if you are not already...and decide whether you wish to do something about it.

.........Call this customer feedback from a passionate DFW supporter......:D

Kind regards
Wol2
xxx
Flooded 20/07/07 :(.
Normal service FINALLY RESUMED 31/07/10 :j:j
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." Douglas Adams...."or the FOS" Wol2
Numptie groupie #2 :cool:
Mortgage offset drawdown [STRIKE]£60861[/STRIKE]:(.... [STRIKE]£60074[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£59967[/STRIKE] £65k 'ish 1/6/14

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Wol I am with you 100% on this. I don't know enough about debt to give answers to most questions but do try to drop in on the DFW board and post if I think I could offer advice or encouragement.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Its the internet, Anyone can make a post when/wherever they want.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    not on here if they ignore the :-

Pls be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    I think half the board ignore that anyway.
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    not on here if they ignore the :-

Pls be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.

And Martins post at the top of DFW
    Pls remember Debt-Free Wannabee's for support and help not judgement
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 September 2009 at 6:50PM
    What I find particulary distasteful is the fact that many, if not most newbies coming into DWF for advice are already trying to come to grips with their often dire situation, and the last thing they need is replies that are unhelpful, unsympathetic, judgmental and often downright insulting. I see many such replies, as I read the threads althought I don't post because I have no experience of heavy debt.

We must always remember that we don't know the full personal circumstances of those who ask for help, and many of them are close to the edge. Shame that there are some here who, full knowing this, delight in being nasty to them.

I think there should be a more vigorous reporting of these nasties, with subsequent banning.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • I do not really post of the DFW board as I find it very fast moving! I agree with Quaser that many people who have had their LBM can be closed to the edge. I saw a client a year ago who tried to kill herself over £8000 worth of debt, thankfully her husband found her in time and I could help her sort out her immediate priority debts and referred her to a debt worker. Her dh had not realised that they were in debt as she had hid it and he had a warrant out for his arrest in relation to unpaid CT. It is easy to get into debt and it could happen to anyone of us.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Quasar wrote: »
    What I find particulary distasteful is the fact that many, if not most newbies coming into DWF for advice are already trying to come to grips with their often dire situation, and the last thing they need is replies that are unhelpful, unsympathetic, judgmental and often downright insulting. I see many such replies, as I read the threads althought I don't post because I have no experience of heavy debt.

We must always remember that we don't know the full personal circumstances of those who ask for help, and many of them are close to the edge. Shame that there are some here who, full knowing this, delight in being nasty to them.

I think there should be a more vigorous reporting of these nasties, with subsequent banning.

I absolutely agree with this and often see this when people are asking for benefits advice too.

Many new posters are utterly desperate and often new to forums! & I have seen some very sniping responses from posters old and new to them :(

I think it is really busy, I do try to pop into DFW every now and again, but feel my knowledge is possibly dated as I got DF a few years ago now.

It is very busy though, and I dont know what the answer is to that?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Quasar
    edited 19 September 2009 at 7:22PM
    lynzpower wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with this and often see this when people are asking for benefits advice too.

Many new posters are utterly desperate and often new to forums! & I have seen some very sniping responses from posters old and new to them :(

I think it is really busy, I do try to pop into DFW every now and again, but feel my knowledge is possibly dated as I got DF a few years ago now.

It is very busy though, and I dont know what the answer is to that?

A few more board guides, I'd say, as many as necessary. I'm sure many of the reasonable and experienced posters in DFW would be happy to volunteer.

OR

users hitting the abuse button more frequently. It will cause more work for Admin at first, but hopefully after a while the message will filter through and the real trolls and nasties will see they can't get their rocks off, so they'll take their spite elsewhere.
  • Quasar
    I used to think that mse needed moderators, but if I remember correctly Martin once said that having moderators would change the legal status of mse and cause more problems than it would solve. I might stand corrected though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure