PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

EPCs - My Energy Efficiency Rating is better than yours!

Options

Comments

• parisjordana
    Options
    hey thanks tek monkey thats very useful information you have put on there....
    :hello:Time2start a new year diet for a new me:j
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tek-monkey wrote: »
    The Owl energy monitors were being given away free from British Gas if you claim any form of benefits (including tax credits etc.). I got one as my bro is unemployed at the min (meaning it costs me for him to live here as HB doesn't cover it, grr).

Go here: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    Enter this code: EF3

You can get an energy meter and a powerdown socket for free, takes about a month to arrive though!

As for the energy rating, I will check now. My rental house is absolutely awful to heat, can't wait to get into my own place instead.

EDIT: e.on customers can get powerdown sockets for free from here

Nice one, thanks!

I literally just changed our project from eon to Scottish Power to get the cashback! Might try it anyway.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • tek-monkey
    Options
    The powerdown sockets haven't arrived yet, but I only ordered them 2 weeks ago. The BG stuff has though, and it seems decent enough. Not tried it yet as we're hoping to move soon and I'm feeling a bit of apathy at my current abode!

Glad to be of help, I've had enough bargains over the years from other people so happy to repay the favour.
  • wildbreed100
    Options
    The detached home I am buying has a low EPC rating (E). I posted a question on here and everyone encouraged me not to worry about it. Many indicated that the EPC did not translate well into reality with many homes with a low EPC staying warmer and costing less to heat than a house with a highr EPC.
  • dirtmother
    Options
    I definitely take notice of the graphs (though not to the extent I don't find it deeply irritating when EAs put just a few photos and both graphs up!)

However, it is just one bit of information to add to others eg house we are selling is Edwardian, original windows, so isn't going to come out that well but viewers (and relatives) have been impressed by our bills. We do have stuff like the right light bulbs but we're not good about turning things off and we have the central heating throughout the daytime. The house has a long south facing side so that helps. Moved into a smaller 60s rental, double glazing, for a while and the bills were horrendous and we were still very, very cold. The energy assessment was done whilst we were in it, would have been interested to see what it said.
  • KeepYourChinUp_2
    Options
    The detached home I am buying has a low EPC rating (E). I posted a question on here and everyone encouraged me not to worry about it. Many indicated that the EPC did not translate well into reality with many homes with a low EPC staying warmer and costing less to heat than a house with a highr EPC.

Do not go off the actual rating, read the report properly especially the recommendations. It could be that there are no energy efficient bulbs installed and that the boiler is old and that the loft insulation is not present or doesnt meet the new criteria.
    You can fix all these and maybe negotiate a mark down on the property for some improvements
    :staradmin5k - 00:27:46:staradmin 10k - 00:57.03:staradminHalf - 02:01:15:staradmin5M - 00:44:07:staradmin
  • Surbybird
    Options
    We're an 'F' but it's a Victorian semi with rubbishy windows and solid fuel heating (not for much longer - shiny new combi going in soon!).

It was also marked down for not having any energy saving bulbs so I've removed all the old ones, put the energy saving ones in everywhere and now walk round in the halflight all the time, smug in the knowledge that although the cats are the only ones who can see where they are going, I am nudging my house up towards an 'E'...

Why can't those wretched bulbs glow a bit more brightly? Since I went all energy efficient with my bulbs I have had to start wearing one of those headlamp thingys when I walk about in the house in the evenings so I don't trip over a cat.

:mad:
    August £10 a day challenge- £27/£310
  • lowtidesurf
    Options
    So am I guess Im still winning with my "B" then.

It will be intresting to see how cheap the bills are going on what has been said above.
    Starting Mortgage of £133,000 in Dec
    Wish me luck
    Target £120,000 by 12/12/12
  • KeepYourChinUp_2
    Options
    Surbybird wrote: »
    We're an 'F' but it's a Victorian semi with rubbishy windows and solid fuel heating (not for much longer - shiny new combi going in soon!).

It was also marked down for not having any energy saving bulbs so I've removed all the old ones, put the energy saving ones in everywhere and now walk round in the halflight all the time, smug in the knowledge that although the cats are the only ones who can see where they are going, I am nudging my house up towards an 'E'...

Why can't those wretched bulbs glow a bit more brightly? Since I went all energy efficient with my bulbs I have had to start wearing one of those headlamp thingys when I walk about in the house in the evenings so I don't trip over a cat.

I have noticed that how long they take to 'warm' up depends on your light fittings it can only be that because I bought all the same make/wattage at the same time and each fitting takes a different amount of time to reach peak.
    :staradmin5k - 00:27:46:staradmin 10k - 00:57.03:staradminHalf - 02:01:15:staradmin5M - 00:44:07:staradmin
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Surbybird wrote: »

:rotfl:

I find them OK for things like landing/hall and bedroom lights, but they're totally useless where you need a good light to read by, for example.

However in the study I had a set of four 50W spotlights, I replaced 2 of them with the 1W LED equivalent and hardly noticed any difference.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport