PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPCs - My Energy Efficiency Rating is better than yours!

Options
Seeing as they're not much good for anything else, what's your energy efficiency rating on your EPC graph?

Just being silly really but our EPC came through today. We have a 'C' rating - 79 out of 100. We did briefly get a bit excited about it as the energy assessor told us that we were two points off a 'B' and that he had never yet given a house a B rating.

So we asked what we could do to get that B rating and were told that the only things we could do would be to add photovoltaic panels or a wind turbine. So that's not happening!

Who has got the worst rating? Or has anyone managed the elusive 'B' rating?
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.

Comments

• lowtidesurf
    Options
    Sorry mate just purchasing a new build and mine came through at 84 out of 100 a B. Sorry in this case mine is better than yours.
    Starting Mortgage of £133,000 in Dec
    Wish me luck
    Target £120,000 by 12/12/12
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry mate just purchasing a new build and mine came through at 84 out of 100 a B. Sorry in this case mine is better than yours.

Does it have a wind turbine? :p
  • tek-monkey
    Options
    Think mines a D, maybe even an E! Mind you, one of its major issues was that it doesn't use energy saving bulbs! I got a load for a penny last year from Tesco, so thats easily sorted :D
  • Doozergirl
    edited 15 September 2009 at 10:08PM
    Options
    tek-monkey wrote: »
    Think mines a D, maybe even an E! Mind you, one of its major issues was that it doesn't use energy saving bulbs! I got a load for a penny last year from Tesco, so thats easily sorted :D

This is what I do not get. How can energy saving lightbulbs be worth so much on the graph? I mean you could leave the TV on all day and the kettle on constantly and you'd be wasting loads more than the lightbulbs but they're not counted. A bigger house will probably use more energy than a small one but it's not downgraded for being big.

In fact, in tests, in some areas, wind turbines on houses use more energy from the grid than they actually produce, that's fact. But if you stick one on the roof you get brownie points. The more I think about it the more it frustrates me.
  • spidystrider
    Options
    Oh dear, the house we have just sold is a D :embarasse

The one we're moving into is Victorian and is an E :eek:

Not very good.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • tek-monkey
    Options
    My current rental is a 1930s flat roofed house with single glazed sash windows, would hate to see where it ends up as it costs us £160pcm on average on leccy and gas :(
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Does it have a wind turbine? :p
    Doesn't everybody in this day and age?
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Doesn't everybody in this day and age?

I alone can create quite a lot of hot air. Perhaps I could have added to the rating if I stood on the roof. :confused:

Loft insulation and the windows are above building regulations spec, everything else meets building regs so I'm surprised if an 'average' newbuild (don't know if it is or not) is coming out better. Although I've seen houses on the same new build estate with different ratings so how they work that out when they are built the same, I have no idea.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mines F !!!
  • lowtidesurf
    Options
    Na sorry Doozergirl, No wind turbine. But it is deffe a B. It is a timber frame construction. Double glazing, Dual boiler, THICK insulation. I dont know if that has any relevence on the rating tho. Its pretty spacious too.
    Starting Mortgage of £133,000 in Dec
    Wish me luck
    Target £120,000 by 12/12/12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills