PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPCs - My Energy Efficiency Rating is better than yours!

Options

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Seeing as they're not much good for anything else, what's your energy efficiency rating on your EPC graph?

Just being silly really but our EPC came through today. We have a 'C' rating - 79 out of 100. We did briefly get a bit excited about it as the energy assessor told us that we were two points off a 'B' and that he had never yet given a house a B rating.

So we asked what we could do to get that B rating and were told that the only things we could do would be to add photovoltaic panels or a wind turbine. So that's not happening!

Who has got the worst rating? Or has anyone managed the elusive 'B' rating?

I don't think anyone cares about these EPC's I had to get one for an investment property the month BEFORE I was getting the loft insulated, they said I would have to pay again to get a certificate to show the effects of the insulation. Why bother no one cares anyway, I only got the certificate because I was legally bound to waste that money.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This is what I do not get. How can energy saving lightbulbs be worth so much on the graph? I mean you could leave the TV on all day and the kettle on constantly and you'd be wasting loads more than the lightbulbs but they're not counted.

I did some sums a while back and the results were quite surprising. If you have a lot of those 50W spotlights the electircity used can be significant (I have 12 in the kitchen alone - that's 600W, and in winter they may be on for up to 8 hours a day).

600W x 8 hrs = 2.4KWh used by the lights

3KW x 24/60 = 1.2KWh (Kettle on for 3 mins every hour for 8 hours)
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • gemstars
    Options
    Are we talking those multicoloured things at the bottom of the property particulars? Mine's E (44) and has potential to go to D 60. I haven't started worrying about improving it yet, I'll wait until I get the house sorted first :-)
  • KeepYourChinUp_2
    KeepYourChinUp_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2009 at 9:15AM
    Options
    I have yet to show a prospective tennant around a property that is interested in the [STRIKE]tax certificate [/STRIKE]E.P.C. They are pretty colours though....and i suppose they give a few people a little extra monthly income.

Edit: actually my point is would you really walk away from buying/renting your dream house if it had a rubbish energy rating?
    :staradmin5k - 00:27:46:staradmin 10k - 00:57.03:staradminHalf - 02:01:15:staradmin5M - 00:44:07:staradmin
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    The EPC is supposed to help tenants work out if the house is easy to keep warm - so it should be seen as more important but I spose most people don't care until they get the gas bill or they can't get the place warm in winter.

We've got one of those energy monitors you clip to the power in cable and then monitor the usage. Very very interesting - and we've identified a few things that need switching off overnight at the socket - which is useful in saving money!
  • gemstars
    Options
    I have yet to show a prospective tennant around a property that is interested in the [STRIKE]tax certificate [/STRIKE]E.P.C. They are pretty colours though....and i suppose they give a few people a little extra monthly income.

Edit: actually my point is would you really walk away from buying/renting your dream house if it had a rubbish energy rating?

It was something I took into consideration when searching for a property, but then I might be in the minority.... :confused:
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    The EPC is supposed to help tenants work out if the house is easy to keep warm - so it should be seen as more important but I spose most people don't care until they get the gas bill or they can't get the place warm in winter.

We've got one of those energy monitors you clip to the power in cable and then monitor the usage. Very very interesting - and we've identified a few things that need switching off overnight at the socket - which is useful in saving money!

Did you get one from your energy company or did you buy one? It would be interesting to see how much we use.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Did you get one from your energy company or did you buy one? It would be interesting to see how much we use.

My OH picked it up for £2 at an auction he went to!
    They're about £30 on ebay!

Well worth getting hold of one if only for a few days!
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

I have one of these, its called an Owl Energy Monitor, I bought it on the internet. Its handy for checking what is using power as its wireless, so you can walk round the house switching things on and off to see how much power is being consumed.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • tek-monkey
    tek-monkey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2009 at 11:04AM
    Options
    The Owl energy monitors were being given away free from British Gas if you claim any form of benefits (including tax credits etc.). I got one as my bro is unemployed at the min (meaning it costs me for him to live here as HB doesn't cover it, grr).

Go here: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    Enter this code: EF3

You can get an energy meter and a powerdown socket for free, takes about a month to arrive though!

As for the energy rating, I will check now. My rental house is absolutely awful to heat, can't wait to get into my own place instead.

EDIT: e.on customers can get powerdown sockets for free from here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport