Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Does anyone know of any good cheap place to eat in Paris please?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Does anyone know of any good cheap place to eat in Paris please?

28 replies 6.9K views
poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
4.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
✭✭✭✭
We are going via Ryanair to Paris at the end of the month to collect my niece and are taking a few days break there.

We have booked into a Holiday Inn Express in the 19th e (using our points) and are near the Parc de la Villette and canals. This is an area of the city I don't know at all and as I have little cash to spend am looking for places to eat that are cheap and wholesome, preferably places that locals choose to eat.

As I am disabled we are planning on not doing a lot of walking around the typical tourist areas. We and are quite happy to visit close to our hotel or areas a little further out of the city.

When I was a student (in late 70s) we ate cheaply in the student areas. Maybe someone knows of similar places a more mature couple could eat. Or will we still be welcomed in the types of places I frequented 30 years ago? What I really need is some local knowledge, please.
Grocery challenge £35/£200 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose [STRIKE]42lbs[/STRIKE] 0 to go!! :D PPI claimed and received £13527 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
'I had a black dog, his name was depression".

Replies

• CCFC_80CCFC_80 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I always try the Flunch places located around the city if you are not fussy about eating in a proper restaurant.

Not sure if I can post link but just type flunch into google
  • The student area is in the 5th arrondissement : city-of-paris-map.jpg

I'm sure there will be bakeries and snack bars nearby with Formule(typically sandwich, dessert and drink) for around 5 euros.

In restaurants, ask for the Plat du jour.
  • poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy46 wrote: »
    I always try the Flunch places located around the city if you are not fussy about eating in a proper restaurant.

Not sure if I can post link but just type flunch into google

Hi, I have had a look at the website and the chain seems suitable to use as a cheap lunch or evening meal. Just have to find one in a suitable area, Thanks.

Donnie Thanks for the map. When you suggest formule, will they be available throughout the city at that price or in the 5e only?
    Grocery challenge £35/£200 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose [STRIKE]42lbs[/STRIKE] 0 to go!! :D PPI claimed and received £13527 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
  • Chartier in the 9th. I know it's not ever so handy for the 19th but everyone should go there once in a lifetime. http://www.restaurant-chartier.com/www/visit/
  • edited 10 September 2009 at 8:09PM
    notakidnotakid Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2009 at 8:09PM
    McAzrael wrote: »
    Chartier in the 9th. I know it's not ever so handy for the 19th but everyone should go there once in a lifetime. http://www.restaurant-chartier.com/www/visit/

No No No!!!!!

Please do not go! I have fond memories of Chartiers from my student days (25 years ago!) and on a recent trip with my son to Paris with these memories in mind we visited Chartiers for a meal. It was one of the worst meals we have ever had anywhere. The pate was dry as in had been cut and plated very early in the day and the salad leaves were brown from the air.
    My main was like the worst school dinner from your childrhood. Veg cooked so long they were water mush, meat braised for too long and the sauce was water, it was served lukewarm, my son had steak and chips which you would feel couldn't be ruined (it was a beefburger!) The pudding was some slop with squirt cream.

It was really appalling I'm so sad that this great eatery has come to this, but it is a tourist trap and nothing else. Also the cost wasn't cheap. We ate with my parents at another place for the same price. 4 for the price of two!
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • kb36kb36 Forumite
    440 posts
    I would try and avoid Flunch if at all possible - it really is not representative of the great food that can be found in Paris and is a kind of mix of a Bhs cafe/Wimpey/Little Chef( before any kind of revamp) and worst school dinners! It speaks volumes that you get given an entry code for the toilet facilities on your receipt..... It is cheap but save your money and put it towards something you will really enjoy ;)
  • PontPont Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The 'cheapest' place I found to eat was up a side street not too far from the Moulin Rouge. My sister and I looked through a 'restaurant' window and decided it looked good - it was packed out and everybody was laughing and drinking, obviously enjoying their dinner experience. We entered, sat down, ordered 2 beers and, we thought, agreed to have their set menu.

Slowly, during the evening, after a lovely 3 course meal and many beers later, it dawned on us that something wasn't quite right, but we carried on nonetheless! When we eventually asked for our bill the entire room erupted with laughter. A youngish girl came over to our table and explained that the 'restaurant' was indeed a private house and it was Grandmother's birthday celebration. However, there was 'no charge' because everybody had had a good laugh at our expense!

Perhaps not to be recommended as a cheap place to eat in Paris, but you certainly won't find cheaper!
  • poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    notakid and kb36 I will maybr give those two places a miss. I wasn't sure when I looked on the Flunch website as it didn't really give any indication of a menu except the moules.

Pont you have given us a good laugh too!
  • poohbear59 wrote: »
    Hi, I have had a look at the website and the chain seems suitable to use as a cheap lunch or evening meal. Just have to find one in a suitable area, Thanks.

Donnie Thanks for the map. When you suggest formule, will they be available throughout the city at that price or in the 5e only?

Throughout the city. I stayed in the 14th, in Montparnasse. Saw quite a few there alone.

Used them for lunch(typically a Minute Maid Orange/Apple Juice, a Savoury/Sandwich/Baguette/Salad and a freshly made dessert; tart or similar. Then usually a three course dinner in the Latin(language) Quarter(student and popular tourist eating area) or elsewhere for dinner. 15 euros per head on average.

So not too expensive at all.

A map to the eating area is here

You can use various active maps for orientation, such as: via Michelin. Use rue Mouffetard\75005 Paris\France or TripAdvisor LocalMaps using Rue Mouffetard\Paris.

The street is rue Mouffetard. :)
  • notakid wrote: »
    No No No!!!!!

Please do not go! I have fond memories of Chartiers from my student days (25 years ago!) and on a recent trip with my son to Paris with these memories in mind we visited Chartiers for a meal. It was one of the worst meals we have ever had anywhere. The pate was dry as in had been cut and plated very early in the day and the salad leaves were brown from the air.
    My main was like the worst school dinner from your childrhood. Veg cooked so long they were water mush, meat braised for too long and the sauce was water, it was served lukewarm, my son had steak and chips which you would feel couldn't be ruined (it was a beefburger!) The pudding was some slop with squirt cream.

It was really appalling I'm so sad that this great eatery has come to this, but it is a tourist trap and nothing else. Also the cost wasn't cheap. We ate with my parents at another place for the same price. 4 for the price of two!

It's a few years since I've been there and this is just a tragedy.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support