Get a rebate on your sewerage rates charges

Options

Comments

• little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Cardew wrote:
    I doubt the deeds will show a soakaway.

You state in an earlier post that your gutter is shared with the nextdoor house and from there goes into a downpipe.
    The $64,000 question is where does that water from the downpipe go?

If into a sewer - no rebate. A Soakaway and you get the rebate.

Hi, since the previous post, we have put in a downpipe, so now the water from our roof goes into a water butt; so now all the water from my roof is collected into water butts...but they still want to know if i have a soakaway or not...how do i find if i have one or not? House is a 3 bed terraced, built in 1960.
    Thanks
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, since the previous post, we have put in a downpipe, so now the water from our roof goes into a water butt; so now all the water from my roof is collected into water butts...but they still want to know if i have a soakaway or not...how do i find if i have one or not? House is a 3 bed terraced, built in 1960.
    Thanks

I had a leaflet from Wessex Water today (with my bill) and it mentioned this £17 per annum rebate. It states that if all of your rainwater is collected in butts you don't qualify - some must go to a soakaway. Also no rainwater from your property can go into the main drain - i.e. if it runs off your driveway etc, which our does.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Hi, thanks Melbury - Anglian Water have told me that too, i would just like to know if i have a soakaway now! Additionally though, the rain is either collected in the water butts, falls on to the garden or a small amount from the front path runs onto the public footpath (and no drain in sight). There is no drain for it to go into!
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    sorry to butt in on this thread. i have a 15foot swimming pool which will be emptied out i was advised to get an abatement form to claim for a reduction as it wouldnt be going through the drainage system..... 1 week later i got a letter with a £74 discount on sewerage bill what a result !
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I replaced a wooden garage with a brick one. The plans stated that it must have a soak away and must not connect to the drain even though the wooden one did
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Options
    Any waste water dissipated into the environment will cost you in the end - you should either use it or give it back to your local water authority.
    A soakaway does not neccessaliry mean that it goes back into the water table.
  • jonnyw_2
    jonnyw_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Skiduck wrote:
    Any waste water dissipated into the environment will cost you in the end - you should either use it or give it back to your local water authority.
    A soakaway does not neccessaliry mean that it goes back into the water table.

Where does it go to from a soakaway if it doesnt go into the water table?
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Options
    jonnyw wrote:
    Where does it go to from a soakaway if it doesnt go into the water table?

I did say "not neccesarily" - in certain circumstances such as:
    land with large clay composition
    land where the water table is high
  • Jockanory
    Jockanory Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I rang South West Water and they sent me a form,which I returned and they have now amended my bill by £7-00 a month,as I was on the wrong sewerage tarrif,I've since asked for further rebate as I have lived in the same house since 1987 and was paying the wrong rate until recently BUT I have been told by them that the new tarrif was set in 2001 and they do not make any back payments for previous years,they saw i.a.w OFWAT regulations,it seems unfair,has any one else come across this??
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for this OP, I have emailed Anglian Water to enquire. If I am successful I will be letting all my neighbours know so they can try the same!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills