Get a rebate on your sewerage rates charges

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    oldwiring wrote:
    My house is on a bank and the drive way slopes down to the road, and we have a terraced front garden with a wall that contains weep-holes. Couldn't the co claim that that water was going in to the sewers?

That may be, but my comment was about this quote of yours:
    Most properties are connected to a public sewer and are not entitled to the allowance, particularly town houses and houses built in the last 40 years.

As I said, MOST houses built within the last XXX years do not have their surface water going into a sewer. This is because it is mandatory that it should go to a soakaway.

Your house may not qualify - but that isn't most houses.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If in doubt, claim. It'll cost you a stamp and a small amount of time.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Happy_saver_4
    Options
    oldwiring wrote:
    My house is on a bank and the drive way slopes down to the road, and we have a terraced front garden with a wall that contains weep-holes. Couldn't the co claim that that water was going in to the sewers?

Seems like you're providing them with the excuse why not to rebate you.

Personally - I'd make a claim and let the Waterboard make up their own excuses.

Perhaps you should calculate the percentage of the rainwater that is absorbed by your land before the residue runs out of the weep holes. Then claim a rebate on the rainwater you so absorb . I should base your calculations on the first rainfall after a long dry spell:rotfl:

The claim is basically made on where your roof rain water goes; sewer or soakaway. Not the rainwater falling on your garden.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a ground floor flat. Can I claim this rebate on the basis that I don't have a roof?
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • Happy_saver_4
    Options
    AndyR wrote:
    I live in a ground floor flat. Can I claim this rebate on the basis that I don't have a roof?

Try it and let us know :D
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Hi, i have the application form from Anglian Water all ready to be filled in - no harm in asking!....but wanted to see if someone has the answer first:-

We live in a terraced house, built in the 60's. The gutter's from both front and rear are just joined to next doors, and the next house after that has the downpipe. As 'my rain' only collects in the gutter, can i definately say that it does not go into a sewer etc after it leaves my property? Or am i partially responsible for the water in neighbours downpipe - by the way, by the look of all the other downpipes in the area, they all empty into the garden! The pipes do not go underground or anything. :confused:

Additionally, the water from my garage goes into a water butt - so can i say for all rainwater falling on my property, that none of it is dealt with by Anglian Water!?!?:confused:
    Thanks for any help
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • mrsw
    mrsw Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    After phoning Thames Water a couple of weeks ago only to be fobbed off, I tried again today and was put through to a very nice person in Accounts who has now arranged for a £17 rebate without having to fill in any forms. Thanks OP.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My house was built at around 1970 and I'm not too sure if it has soakaways. Who can you go to to find out? I see that the council has been mentioned but what department? Would I be incorrect in thinking that the planning dept is the best place to find out? Also having lived here in this house for over 30 years the water authority should surely backdate any refunds should I be eligeable?
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    thor wrote:
    My house was built at around 1970 and I'm not too sure if it has soakaways. Who can you go to to find out?

I have made a claim to Anglian Water but have been told an Inspector will come and assess my property as it 'has to go into either a soakaway or their sewer'....apparently collecting in water butts is not good enough (i'm trying to save as much water as i can yet the they only patched up a leak that has been going for 3 weeks near our house!!)...Anyway, i was told that the deeds to the house should state whether there is a soakaway or not. THOR - do you have your deeds or are they held by solicitor/mortgage comp etc?
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have made a claim to Anglian Water but have been told an Inspector will come and assess my property as it 'has to go into either a soakaway or their sewer'....apparently collecting in water butts is not good enough (i'm trying to save as much water as i can yet the they only patched up a leak that has been going for 3 weeks near our house!!)...Anyway, i was told that the deeds to the house should state whether there is a soakaway or not. THOR - do you have your deeds or are they held by solicitor/mortgage comp etc?

I doubt the deeds will show a soakaway.

You state in an earlier post that your gutter is shared with the nextdoor house and from there goes into a downpipe.
    The $64,000 question is where does that water from the downpipe go?

If into a sewer - no rebate. A Soakaway and you get the rebate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure