Wii or PS3?

Options
Hi Everyone

I was thinking of buying my 2 daughters (both teenagers) a new games console. We have an old PS2, but I am not sure which one to buy for them. They are not real gamers and found games like final fantasy nigh on impossible (they lose interest if it is too difficult), but they enjoy things like the Sims and Singstar.

Any ideas which would be the best?

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    The PS3 is a much more capable console and personally, I found that the novelty of the Wii soon wore off.

Both have different games available for them though, so the best thing to do is to look at what is available and choose the console that has the games they want to play.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PS3 I got a wii and they are great a real family fun console but graphics can be a little let down not exactly cutting edge but its not just about them a wii is a fun console

PS3 is so much more but for me although I dont have one yet is the blue-ray option and I hear its a good media console
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    PS3 has blue ray. Better graphics. Plays advanced games, internet browser, HDMI connections to TV, multimedia centre. DVD/CD player
  • slow_saver
    Options
    PS3 better by miles, plus you can download free demo's from the internet and you can play blu-ray discs.happy0034.gif
    I must, I must, get my post average up to 1 a day!! :D
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Wii is a great games machine. Fun games that all the family can play.

PS3 really comes into its on an HD TV. Superb graphics
  • Humphrey10
    Humphrey10 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    Wii if they like things like casual Singstar, PS3 has more 'hard' games. Although PS3 does have (much) better graphics, and blu-ray. If you have an HD TV, and don't have a blu-ray player, I'd get a PS3 if I were you. PS3 has tons of games too, so they will have fun/casual games to play on that too.

btw, just in case all the replys saying 'PS3' lead you to think that PS3 is the one everyone chooses so your daughters will be the odd ones out at school etc if they don't have one, here's an article on sales figures:
    http://kotaku.com/5222722/lifetime-pal-console-sales-figures-get
  • elvch01
    elvch01 Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Humphrey10. The PS3 is technically superior in the graphics department, so hard-core gamers will appreciate it, but for "family-fun", the Wii's "intuative" user interface is great and this makes up for the somewhat dated graphics. I have a PS3 & my wife has a Wii
    Chris Elvin
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most kids want what thier friends have
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Wii is fun, but there hasn't been a good new game since Mario Kart :(
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    PS3 for my money. Blueray player, vidzone with free stramed music videos 10,000 tracks, BBC iPlayer compatability, web browser to name just a few features.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure