We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the job situation as bad across the country?

Options
124»

Comments

• eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Everywhere is tough for jobs now. I live in West Yorks and for years the job pages in the Yorks Evening Post would be stuffed with pages of jobs, followed by dozens of agencies. For the last year or so its been 1 or 2 pages and those jobs tend to be in the social care sector. Most local authorities etc have had an unofficial recruitment freeze for months (check out jobsgopublic if you don't believe me). For that matter look at the job sites it makes scary reading. Relocating in search of a job is also now very expensive and if you have existing financial/people/housing responsibilities then it is nigh on impossible. I don't think its ever been so hard to get a job (change jobs) since the 1920's. In an earlier thread on a similar topic I mentioned that this time its worse than the 1980's, nothing I've read suggests otherwise.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lynseyb22 wrote: »
    hi i dont know if this is in the right place to write but i just wanted to know if any 1 knows of any work from home jobs

I'd love to know this myself, I've never come across anything serious, loads of scams out there, I got scammed once stuffing envelopes :(
  • venus_in_furs
    Options
    Getting a job on the Wirral is practically impossible...i used to get depressed checking on the web or in the papers for work, as there were never any new jobs appearing.

Once i went for a job located near me (very rare) and got told that over 300 people had applied also...eeeek!!! Needless to say...i didn't get it!!!
    "You dont need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems a load of us are in the same boat, so for now I should be grateful I have a job, I will focus on the reason why I'm there I.E to keep a roof over our heads, food in our belly and kids clothed rather than focus on the job itself, which is all I can do really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport