We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the job situation as bad across the country?

Options

Comments

• Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2009 at 11:00PM
    Options
    It's dreadful here in my part of London. There havent been any new jobs added to some sites for about 3 weeks now and precious little before and yet we are still meant to apply. How can we when there is nothing to apply for?

I was made redundant last Decemeber and have not found even a days work since. I have degrees, professional qualifications,a string of exams including it, dtp, typing and other qualifications and many many years of top quality hard work in a wide range of roles and industries. Nobody is interested.On the books of 50 agencies both local and in town.. you regularly contact them about anything and everything you think that is within your capabilties and they dont have anything to offer. I even had one agency in a nearby town - 10-15 mins on the tube door to door practically as I live in the town centre - reject me from any job and their books cos I dont live local to said town. I live in London - hardly anybody lives near where they work.In one of my previous jobs I lived 30 seconds from the office - could leave at 9 and be there for 9..etc . I was the only one who lived in the local area. Most lived in surrounding areas and districts and some even lived way across London.I could be there faster than someone who lived in the south part/ suburbs of that town.

I'm not snooty about work either. But I do find that companies can be and won't accept someone willing to "be exploited" in that they would get my skills and talents and experience for less pay than I "should" be getting...
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At the min I have a job, I am not unemployed, I want a new job, I should of said there is nothing out there that interest me. Todays results bring 2 jobs, dish washer and a sales assistant in female clothing store, add to that 700+ people on JSA made to apply for them locally, Its really not good.

Our local paper has went from having 3 pages of jobs to half a page of silly jobs like Avon reps or TA

im in a similar situation to yourself, i dont have a job that interests me and im looking for anything that A: i know i can do and B: anything thats interesting, do you look in your local paper for jobs, try reed, jobsite(the jobs site of the local paper might be linked to jobsite like where i live so the jobs are replicated from jobsite to my local paper )
  • pollyd_2
    Options
    its not great at the moment, but they key is felixibility. I've just got a part-time weekend job in a shop -although I've no retail experience -I literally walked in off the street with my C.V. I was invited to interview and did the research on the comapany, and dressed as they did in the shop. I got the job. I'm very qualified, in my mid 30's with two degrees in nothing at all to do with retail, but I'm determined to supplement our family income any way I can.
    Think back to student days - if you had them -there is nothing wrong with doing less qualified work, if it brings in money. Besides which it might teach you something valuable, and who knows, it could even be fun.
    I live in North-east wales, which is certainly not the most salubrious part of the country.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I totally sympathise with you nirelandguy!

I've spent the best part of eight months looking for a suitable role either in the north or south of Ireland and found...nothing. In the North, I was offered a call centre job in Newry, which was just about minimum wage, and because I'd be living in the south I wouldn't even be able to pay the rent! Everything else is already taken by the time I call, but my line of work (customer services) is based in Dublin...with around an hours train/bus ride and then they most likely want you to speak another language.

So now I took a full time job for Orange which is an hour and a half commute each way for me in County Durham, all so I could get off this dole! I like the job but the time travelling kills me, especially as it's only because of waiting times, otherwise it'd be 35mins.

Good luck with the job search, hopefully it'll be more fruitful than my ever continuing Irish job search!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nirel, any updates, i tihnk you need to decide whats important, do you want to earn money or do you want to be on the dole, id rather be earning moeny meself, if its the money then take any job you see
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know you are right. Easier said than done though. So the search continues, Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications

I have to say this as Ive read many of your threads along the same lines, and I really do feel for you, as you seem to view your position as hopeless.

Lots of people have given you advice saying move and you reply "easier said than done". Well is it realy? Ive moved lots of times, and dont find it difficult at all. I and thousands like me move to london to find work, yes they might not stay forever, but do it to kick off thier career. You say its easier said than done but is it really? Whats so hard about it? You dont have to do it next week , but why not start sticking a little bit away towards man and van and start job hunting and go for it. :confused::confused:

I cant see whats stopping you aside from ( if i may say) a rather negative approach to opportunities. You dont think theae for you. Youd like to do something else, yet dont want to control your temper or do other courses ( iread other threads)

I suggest you think about speaking to your Gp if you feel you are depressed? otherwise look around you .Ive been looking on job pages for an hour or so and cant believe how much is out there.:D:o
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Try living in Birmingham - we have the highest rate of unemployment in the UK but in balance we also have the highest number of entrepreneurs setting up their own businesses.

I have done loads of jobs in my time: fruitpicking both here in the UK and on a Kibbutz in Golan Heights, secretarial jobs, receptionist, cleaner, office manager, events co-ordinator, bird scarer, software engineer, public relations officer, tour guide, spanner monkey (car repairs & restoration), silver service waitress and now I work for myself as a wedding & corporate event planner. A lot of the jobs I have done could be considered to be man's work - hell, there are even male secretaries:rotfl:
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynz after many years unable to find anything up North I moved to London 10 years ago and it is not that much better down here to be honest. Still yet to find any role that lasts longer than a year tops and permanent jobs are a pipe dream.. :(
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think to be honest my expectations were to high to start with, In the words of my father "Its work your not ment to enjoy it, ask any f8*ker out on that street if he like his job, I guarantee you he doesn't" I have a job I should be grateful for that.

As for me moving, I'll go into more detail on why its not really practical, Say I want to move to London, pleanty of opportunities down there,

Rent say £500 a month + £500 in advance as deposit = £1000
    Cost of shipping all furniture etc over from Ireland, how much £500/£600 if that would even cover it.
    A bit to live on until I could find a job say another £1000
    So that = £2500 say, I am on a DMP, every penny is counted, I'd have to give something up to save,say my smoking £10 per week, thats about 5 years.

I'm sure there probably is a fair few jobs around London etc. You search a 20 mile radious around here you'll get 4 today, Avon Rep, Army, Kitchen Assistant, Sales assistant in a clothes shop, infact they've been up there a week now.
  • lynseyb22
    Options
    hi i dont know if this is in the right place to write but i just wanted to know if any 1 knows of any work from home jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport