Is the job situation as bad across the country?

Options
As you know I've been on the look out for a new job, I've been looking for this past 2 months, and in my town it averages out at about 1 job per week, and 9/10 its a job for a woman I.E working in care homes, waitress. I can't really blame this on the recession either as a few years back I sat on the dole for 2 years because of this:eek: I mean there is simply buger all out there, you'll be lucky to get a job, let alone one you want, if you live outside a major city you seem to be screwed

Comments

• TMoose
    TMoose Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    and 9/10 its a job for a woman I.E working in care homes, waitress.
    , if you live outside a major city you seem to be screwed

Why do you think that a man can't work in a care home? Or as a waiter?

Also, the lifestyle choice to live outside a major city impacts the career opportunities available. To take it to an extreme, living in London I am unlikely to find a job as Phillipino journalist - if I wanted to do that I'd have to move to Manila. If the jobs that you want aren't in your locale, then you might need to move. If you don't want to move for your job, then you have to make do with the jobs that are available in your location.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    There's no reason why care home work or restaurant service should be considered women's work.

You can look for other jobs in NI or in other parts of the UK online and may need to consider relocating if things are so dire where you live. Things are tough everywhere but not to the extent of only one job per week.
  • venus_in_furs
    Options
    Womens work!!! I know loads of men that work as Waiters!!! And i knew a few that worked in homes with disabled people. My brother is Autistic and has some very lovely male carers, who do an excellent job. My brother can relate to men more and he has fun mucking around with them play fighting and being generally boisterous!!! His female carers fear for their life too much...my brother is 6"4 and is built like a rugby player!! Its good there ARE men in these professions, so disabled men like my bro have someone to relate to!

Being a carer can also be quite fun...my brothers carers get free trips to theme parks and cinema etc and go on holiday with him. They have even been to Disneyland for free to look after him and had a great time!
    "You dont need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm old school hence why I consider these Womans jobs and have a short temper, I mean could you imagine me being a waiter, a customer complaining and me telling them where to go, not good
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    I'm old school hence why I consider these Womans jobs and have a short temper, I mean could you imagine me being a waiter, a customer complaining and me telling them where to go, not good

Then it's probably not surprising that you're having difficulties finding work. Customer care skills are important in many working environments these days.
  • System
    Options
    Then it's probably not surprising that you're having difficulties finding work. Customer care skills are important in many working environments these days.

Yeah its not an area that interests me, there are jobs out and about, just not local, and I can't drive, and @ £27 per lesson I doubt I will be for a while.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Yeah its not an area that interests me, there are jobs out and about, just not local, and I can't drive, and @ £27 per lesson I doubt I will be for a while.

You miss my point. Customer care skillls aren't just important in things like retail but also in any job where you meet people, including warehouse work and anything that takes you into people's homes.

If there are no suitable local jobs then cast your net wider and be prepared to move to a different place when you get a job.
  • System
    Options
    You miss my point. Customer care skillls aren't just important in things like retail but also in any job where you meet people, including warehouse work and anything that takes you into people's homes.

If there are no suitable local jobs then cast your net wider and be prepared to move to a different place when you get a job.

I know you are right. Easier said than done though. So the search continues, Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    As you know I've been on the look out for a new job, I've been looking for this past 2 months, and in my town it averages out at about 1 job per week, and 9/10 its a job for a woman I.E working in care homes, waitress. I can't really blame this on the recession either as a few years back I sat on the dole for 2 years because of this:eek: I mean there is simply buger all out there, you'll be lucky to get a job, let alone one you want, if you live outside a major city you seem to be screwed

With an attitude like that, you're not likely to find work!

Fair enough there are some jobs that are more suited to either sex, but the examples you have listed aren't them. My dad works as a care worker after re-training last year. He loves his job and is always very busy, so there must be call for male carers. I've seen plenty of waiters in restaurants as well, I wouldn't think twice if I was served by a man.

When you say there's 'simply bug*er all out there' are you actually looking? There are a lot of jobs advertised at the moment, the problem seems to be the number of people applying for them.

'you'll be lucky to get a job, let alone one you want' - so you may end up doing something which isn't your dream job, that's life i'm afraid.

I live outside a city and although it is difficult at the moment, it's not impossible. You've got to make the effort!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I know you are right. Easier said than done though. So the search continues, Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications

If you have the experience in a job but have no qualifications then apply for it anyway because if you don't try you will never know will you.

Women's work went out with the ark - women can do all sorts of jobs including bricklaying, plumbing, gas fitting etc - I suppose you would consider this to be man's work?:confused:

You need to take your blinkers off and get real and apply for any job that you can do especially if they offer training in how to do the job. So you can't drive but I bet you can ride a bike - get a bike and cycle to work - lots of people do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure