We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the job situation as bad across the country?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    freakyogre wrote: »
    With an attitude like that, you're not likely to find work!

Fair enough there are some jobs that are more suited to either sex, but the examples you have listed aren't them. My dad works as a care worker after re-training last year. He loves his job and is always very busy, so there must be call for male carers. I've seen plenty of waiters in restaurants as well, I wouldn't think twice if I was served by a man.

When you say there's 'simply bug*er all out there' are you actually looking? There are a lot of jobs advertised at the moment, the problem seems to be the number of people applying for them.

'you'll be lucky to get a job, let alone one you want' - so you may end up doing something which isn't your dream job, that's life i'm afraid.

I live outside a city and although it is difficult at the moment, it's not impossible. You've got to make the effort!

Hey I'm searching daily. I'm doing all I can do,
  • Regshoe
    Regshoe Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Womens work!!! I know loads of men that work as Waiters!!! QUOTE]

I would imagine all of the waiters you know are men, seeing as they would be waitresses if they were female! :p (Unless "waiter" is going down the same route as "actor" which seems to be applied to both men and women these days).

Have to agree though, not really many jobs that are "Womens work" or "Mens work" these days (few exceptions obviously - front line military is still exclusively male I believe).
  • venus_in_furs
    venus_in_furs Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2009 at 2:39PM
    Options
    Regshoe wrote: »
    Womens work!!! I know loads of men that work as Waiters!!! QUOTE]

I would imagine all of the waiters you know are men, seeing as they would be waitresses if they were female! :p (Unless "waiter" is going down the same route as "actor" which seems to be applied to both men and women these days).

Have to agree though, not really many jobs that are "Womens work" or "Mens work" these days (few exceptions obviously - front line military is still exclusively male I believe).

Sorry :embarasse ... i didn't know what else to put...'waiting staff' sounds a bit pretentious! Just wanted to emphasise the fact they were indeed males! Haha!

Edit!!! Actually i re-read it and you can say that can't you?...its just like saying 'i know loads of men who work as binmen' or 'i know a few girls who are waitresses part time.'
    'Waiter' is a job title? And i know men who work as 'waiters'?

Is that not acceptable...or are my A grades at English unjustified! Oh noooooooo!
    "You dont need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
  • Femme456
    Femme456 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications

Sorry but thats rubbish, qualifications may help but its experience that employers look for.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options

This thread demonstrates that you are clearly not doing all that you can do. You need to open yourself up to different opportunities. Dismissing all customer care/ 'womens' jobs is significantly narrowing your chances before you even begin.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2009 at 2:31PM
    Options
    I know you are right. Easier said than done though. So the search continues, Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications

But if you're only checking the job centre site, you're possibly missing out on a lot of other jobs.

I was made redundant in March and started looking for work in February (the company I worked for went into administration so we knew it was coming). Between then and starting a new job in May I had 4 interviews.

One job I applied for was through an agency (I wasn't aware of this at the time until they phoned me). They seemed to tell me about jobs that fitted what I had done previously, although did try and push temporary work on me when I had clearly said I wanted permanent (apart from that, there were no problems). From them I had my first interview (didn't get the job).

The second interview was with the DWP (a lady in the job centre told me about it when I was signing on). I applied, passed the tests, attended an interview, but didn't get a job.

I found the third job I got interviewed for through the job centre site (if I remember correctly).

The fourth was again through the agency. I got this job, but it only lasted until July.

Since then I have had 3 interviews. The first I found in the local/surrounding area paper. The second was suggested by my dad (a new store was being built but I didn't realise they were advertising on their website). The third I again found in the local/SA paper.

Sorry to ramble, but just trying to prove that the job centre site isn't the only way of finding work. I live in I suppose what you'd call a 'seaside town' but I am only 20-30 minutes away from a large city and the other side has a few bigger towns so I am lucky that I can search in quite a large area.

These are just jobs I have had interviews for, there are many more I have applied for as well - usually advertised on the local job site (similar to the newspaper).

I picked up the towns local paper a few weeks ago as an off chance that they might advertise jobs and was surprised to find that they did and I applied for one in there.

Don't rely on the job centre, look everywhere! Even when I pop into town I look in every shop window in case they are advertising for work, check the cards in the newsagents etc. I doubt i'll find my 'dream' job this way, but it's a job at the end of the day and it will pay my rent.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Wee_Bargain_Hunter Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2009 at 3:51PM
    Options
    I know you are right. Easier said than done though. So the search continues, Its just the job centre website I check as other agencies tend to look a load of qualifications

I'm not sure whereabouts you live but there are loads of different courses starting in local colleges etc in the next week or so. Some are free or at reduced rates if you are on benefits I think. I'll try & find a link to a post I did ages ago & post it here later.
    Also loads of people travel long distances to Belfast for example and lift-share or get the bus. Do you get any bonuses or help from the jobcentre if you start a course?
    Good luck!

Edit - here's the link for a post I did about courses in Northern Ireland a while back.
  • jasmine_lotus_flower
    Options
    If a person wants to work they will take any job going, as its money at the end of the day.There are jobs out there, sometimes you need to lower your sites a bit, there always a job if you want one.
  • Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    I think if people (not directed at you, OP) were less fussy about work and status, and take anything, there would be less of a problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At the min I have a job, I am not unemployed, I want a new job, I should of said there is nothing out there that interest me. Todays results bring 2 jobs, dish washer and a sales assistant in female clothing store, add to that 700+ people on JSA made to apply for them locally, Its really not good.

Our local paper has went from having 3 pages of jobs to half a page of silly jobs like Avon reps or TA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport