Laser Eye Surgery Discussion Thread

1373839404143»

Comments

• Bear in mind that following the surgery, your eyes will continue growing and changing and due to the change in shape of the front of the eyes, you may not be able to wear contact lenses afterwards. This is significant as lots of people only benefit from a reduced prescription, so the surgery might not be the end to glasses that you hoped!

Also regardless of whether they have had surgery or not, nearly everyone will rely on reading glasses somewhere after their forties any way.

These days the technology of contact lenses has advanced so much, I wear mine comfortably and easily for a whole week, day and night (then throw away) I don't even think about laser surgery any more.

If you know all this stuff already, forgive me for jumping your thread..I just wanted to make you aware of what I knew.

Thanks, the main reason I've had enough of lenses is that they seem to itch too much after a few hours. I told my optician about this and was advised to be more careful with cleaning them, which I do to no avail.
  • Teresa60
    Teresa60 Posts: 623 Forumite
    I would love to have my eyes lasered, but not sure how much it would cost? Has anybody had it done, if so what did it cost them or does it depend on your prescription?
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    I was going to get it done 2 years ago at Optimax using tesco clubcard vouchers towards the cost.

The information pack mentioned £800 so £200 of vouchers, but although my prescription isn't too bad I've got astigmatism, my pupils are too big and corneas too thin so they quoted me £3200. I decided not to bother although I'm still bombarded with emails and letters offering to do it for £1600.

What really put me off was I'd read a thread by someone who'd had it done and while it was great to be able to read road signs as his wife drove him home he couldn't read the dashboard. I mentioned this in my consultation and was told I'd have a similar problem due to my age :( I still don't need reading glasses and ok I struggle occasionally in a dark restaurant or trying to read the back of a ding dinner but I couldn't see the point of paying all that money and still needing glasses to correct my sight so its £10 pm contact lenses for me.
  • Hi, I know this is a long shot but can anyone provide me with a referal name and date of birth for Optimax? They have offered £500 off treatment if I can give them the name/dob of someone who has had treatment with them. I'm not 100% sure but I think she said that the person would get a £50 voucher or cash or something too.

I've finally decided to go ahead and have this done but would like to keep the costs as low as possible as I am on a shoe-string. Totally fed up with wearing glasses too and after reading many of the posts on here think it's about time to get it sorted

Many thanks in advance if anyone can do this for me.

Cheers folks

Matt
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    afraid asking for pm's for referrals is not allowed on the main part of the forum

referrals are only allowed in the existing referral thread (and not pointed to or mentioned on the main part of the forum)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I had lasik wavefront mechanical 2 months ago and am so pleased with the results..i paid 2240 for both my eyes (my old perscription was -2.5 and -2.75) now I have better than 20/20! If you want discount vouchers to reduce the cost of your treatment by £150.00 please email me at kelly@cryogenic.co.uk and i will post them to you.
    Its the best thing Ive ever done, dont delay!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure