Garden Fence Spray Paint

Options
The person who thought of putting garden fence paint in a spray need shooting. Our neighbour has painted his fence with this whilst we have been out and the his horrible cedar paint has come up through the slats onto our purple paint and all down the white masonry bottoms. It is so annoying as our paint was terribly expensive £15 for a small can that does 2 fence panels and we have 18 panels that need doing.

I am absolutely fuming. :mad:

Comments

• gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alison_B wrote:
    The person who thought of putting garden fence paint in a spray need shooting. Our neighbour has painted his fence with this whilst we have been out and the his horrible cedar paint has come up through the slats onto our purple paint and all down the white masonry bottoms. It is so annoying as our paint was terribly expensive £15 for a small can that does 2 fence panels and we have 18 panels that need doing.

I am absolutely fuming. :mad:

Have you spoken to your neighbour about it?
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We tried to but couldn't see them. I think that they heard me ranting and raving not so quietly though. :rolleyes: Husband is going to go around and see them tomorrow, in case they decide to give it a second coat. :eek: Managed to clean most of it off the bench with some white spirit and also off the lights. I coated the masonry with paint and will do the fence panels tomorrow if they still make that colour paint. Nothing I can do about the plants, instead of being lovely and green, they are now heavily speckled with red paint. :sad: Have calmed down a lot now, was looking forward to a nice relaxing afternoon/evening and ended up working to fix the mess they had made. Thanks for asking though.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Alison_B wrote:
    Our neighbour has painted his fence with this whilst we have been out

Might be worth being a little cautious. Did you ask them for permission to paint their fence in the first place?

I've been out painting my fence today, and I've just asked the neighbours permission to go paint the other side. I didn't ask them what colour they wanted. They get the same colour, as you know it runs though, even with a brush.

Of course there is no exscuse for the spray damage on your other items.
  • trigger_mike
    trigger_mike Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    I bet you wasn't laughing like the song in the advert...
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It always surprises me when people totally miss the obvious .. the first time I saw the advert I turned round to DW and said 'I bet he's laughing on the other side of his face when his enighbour complains about half his garden covered in overspray'.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know this is an old thread.

BUT

Can someone tell me if with modern teckkie stuff, these paint sprayers have improved, as my neighbour mentioned over the weekend he is thinking of getting one!!!

Should I be talking him out of it, or should I be encourgaging it and offer to borrow it once he has finished??
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread.

BUT

Can someone tell me if with modern teckkie stuff, these paint sprayers have improved, as my neighbour mentioned over the weekend he is thinking of getting one!!!

Should I be talking him out of it, or should I be encourgaging it and offer to borrow it once he has finished??
    If you are doing both sides the same colour then no problem .. just beware of the overspray though

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same as before .... and cover any precious plants!
  • Bollards
    Bollards Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think they've improved any. DH did our fences last year and managed to coat the next door neighbours garden furniture, so we had to clean it all off and the other next door neighbour had a white dog which ended up terracotta coloured. (btw the dog was fine after a quick wash!)
  • Chris_Howarth
    Options
    If you're after a cheap alternative to one of the dedicated paint sprayers then you could use one of these (or similar):

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51374117/Pressure_Sprayer/showimage.html

I picked one up from a local 'Home Bargains' store for about £1.20, but I think that the supermarkets are currently selling them for around the same price. I found that I could treat a 6ft x 5ft fence panel with one fill of the 1 litre container.

Sure, the spray pattern isn't quite as neat as the fence sprayers sold in the DIY stores, but mine saves me a lot of time compared with using a brush.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport