🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

sky multiroom

Options
i just moved into a house that has the wires for sky+ downstairs and a wire from the sky dish in the bedroom, do you think that if i got a second hand sky box it would have the same effect as multiroom or would i only be able to watch what is on downstairs?
Thanks very much
:TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T

Comments

• duggie1982
    duggie1982 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on how many wires coming from the dish. If there is 3 (2 going down for sky + and another for normal box) then it would work as multiroom.
  • RICK..._2
    RICK..._2 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    I would think that it'd act as multiroom, but without the subscription you'll only get basic freeview channels, which you prob know anyway.

I'm not 100% certain on this though, but it's what I intend to do once the 12 months is up on my multiroom - use it without the viewing card. :)
    This thread has me so pumped, I headbutted my dog and we both screamed.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    RICK... wrote: »
    I would think that it'd act as multiroom, but without the subscription you'll only get basic freeview channels, which you prob know anyway.

I'm not 100% certain on this though, but it's what I intend to do once the 12 months is up on my multiroom - use it without the viewing card. :)

You cannot get " Freeview " via Sky.

It is only available via a TV Aerial.

You can get free to view channels via Sky.
  • RICK..._2
    RICK..._2 Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2009 at 5:44PM
    Options
    I know you can't......

Maybe I should of worded it better then.

I say freeview channels, because the channels you do get are pretty much the same as the ones you get on freeview, so people get a rough idea what to expect.

I'll remember to add the 'to' inbetween next time to stop any confusion ;)
    This thread has me so pumped, I headbutted my dog and we both screamed.
  • quitslaving
    Options
    When I got sky+ the installer put a quad LNB on the dish and re-connected the old cable so I have Sky+ downstairs and Sky upstairs, no multiroom and I don't get all the channels. So if I want watch something different from my wife that needs a card I either record it or she goes upstairs.

Dave
  • rsdiscos
    rsdiscos Posts: 816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all.

Hope you dont mind me posting -

We cancelled Sky some time ago but kept the box and card and watched the free to air channels through the sky box. We are now in a position to have sky again and have got a deal on sky plus. So, can I connect my old box to the new box upstairs to watch the free to air channels etc...or does a cable have to come straight from the dish - i dont want to pay for multiroom - just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks
    Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
    Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
    PAD Totals
    Jan 2024 -
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To watch different channels you need a separate feed from the dish. Sky+ uses up two feeds. If you have a quad LNB in place then you have two spare feeds left, so you can run two more Sky boxes off it.
    If you only have a dual LNB, then it's cheap and easy to change it to a quad.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • skintsaver_2
    Options
    duggie1982 wrote: »
    Depends on how many wires coming from the dish. If there is 3 (2 going down for sky + and another for normal box) then it would work as multiroom.

thats what i have got, thanks very much, im off to look for a cheap box now
    :TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T
  • rsdiscos
    rsdiscos Posts: 816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your earlier reply - here's another question if you dont mind.

Just out of interest...
    if i used a tv link thingymybob upstairs, would an old sky remote change the channel or would it have to be a sky+ box as that is what it is being connected to

Thanks
    Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
    Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
    PAD Totals
    Jan 2024 -
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    To control the SKY+ box downstairs via a magic eye you will need a SKY+ remote. Plenty on eBay around £10 but make sure it is a genuine one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport