🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free sky?

Options
I've just moved into a house where a previous resident had sky so the dish and cables are still there but no box. I cant get freeview where I am and only get 4 channels on terrestrial tv. I dont want to pay a monthly subscription and had been told I can just get a sky box and connect that up to my tv to get the free channels. Is this true? Dont I need a viewing card from sky to activate the box (I think i can get my hands on an old box).

Comments

• BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You still need a box which I assume will cost, sky give a freesat card but I believe its around £20

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

You could use the dish for freesat (BBC) too this is a different system and also has a one off cost
  • RICK..._2
    RICK..._2 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved house we already had an old Sky box. The cables and dish were left in the new house, so all we did was plug the box we had in and it worked straight away - with just the basic freeview channels

So i'd think it's as easy as just aquiring a second hand box, you only need a viewing card for the channels which aren't on freeview, i.e sky 1 etc.

Not sure how much they're going for on eBay? Have a look.
    This thread has me so pumped, I headbutted my dog and we both screamed.
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    RICK... wrote: »
    When we moved house we already had an old Sky box. The cables and dish were left in the new house, so all we did was plug the box we had in and it worked straight away - with just the basic freeview channels

So i'd think it's as easy as just aquiring a second hand box, you only need a viewing card for the channels which aren't on freeview, i.e sky 1 etc.

Not sure how much they're going for on eBay? Have a look.

Freeview is a digital terrestrial service ie through an aerial.

There is a service called 'Freesat from Sky'. However, the only benefits of paying £19.57 for a card would be to allow the correct regional variations of BBC1 and ITV1, as well as to allow viewing of Sky 3 and FIVER channels: FIVE itself is available free to air (ie without a viewing card) and is also available in some regions FTA on the EPG. All this suggests that the days of the FSFS card are limited.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that you can get the correct regional variations of ITV and BBC without a card; they just won't be at the 101 and 103 locations. As stated, the card only gets you a few extra FTV channels, principally Sky 3 and the extra Five(r) channels. An old Sky box from eBay will get you everything that's FTA.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • weegieburd
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you can get the correct regional variations of ITV and BBC without a card; they just won't be at the 101 and 103 locations. As stated, the card only gets you a few extra FTV channels, principally Sky 3 and the extra Five(r) channels. An old Sky box from eBay will get you everything that's FTA.

So does that mean i dont need a viewing card? Just plug the box up?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    weegieburd wrote: »

Yes, just connect it the existing cables.;)
  • RICK..._2
    RICK..._2 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Freeview is a digital terrestrial service ie through an aerial.

I know, which is why i was talking about Sky :confused:
    weegieburd wrote: »

thats exactly what we did and it worked!
    This thread has me so pumped, I headbutted my dog and we both screamed.
  • weegieburd
    Options
    excellent, will give that a go, thanks! :T
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On know on freesat (not sky) you get variations on regional channels like ITV and BBC
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    RICK... wrote: »
    I know, which is why i was talking about Sky :confused:

I think that you missed will-in-estoril's point, you cannot get all " Freeview " channels on Sky, they are different.;)

You can get free to view channels on Sky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport