what to do if you cant get cable at new home

Options
I am moving to an area where I can't get virgin cable tv and I doubt landlord will allow sky dish up.

Is there anyway I can get more TV channels than with a freeview box please.

thanks
If you find something irritating in my post or that you disagree with,then please don't jump on me ,just please ignore my post.I have come to the site for useful information and not to argue. thanks.

Comments

• djkarl
    djkarl Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I think BT Vision would offer you an on demand option that you are probably used to having if you've had Cable in the past

http://www.btvision.bt.com/
  • actionman_3
    Options
    Thanks

I have virgin cable at the moment and havent heard of BT vision.
    If you find something irritating in my post or that you disagree with,then please don't jump on me ,just please ignore my post.I have come to the site for useful information and not to argue. thanks.
  • underlay_guru
    Options
    Hi, Im in exactly the same boat!

We have the Virgin cable XL Tv, phone and internet and at a very reasonable price (from memory, around £42 per month) but we are moving in around a month to a non-cabled area. My landlord will not allow a sky dish on the wall, but I priced it up anyway, and the same type of package from Sky will be £60+ a month!!!

I know a mate with BT Vision, but he says it is slow, unreliable and expensive.

...So freeview it is.
    Profit=sanity
    Turnover=vanity
    Greed=inhumanity:dance:
  • djkarl
    djkarl Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I have never used BT Vision myself, but i think the quality of it depends on your broadband connection speed. You need at least 2mb for it to work
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    And ideally 6 for the best quality.

Talk to your landlord - he might surprise you. :)

Failing that, get a satellite engineer in to put one in the garden if you have one on a pole driven into the grass. No permanent mounting, no landlord hassle.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • actionman_3
    Options
    thanks. It sounds like boring freeview is my only option. Ive only got a yard and 2 children so couldnt do dish like that.

I had heard that there are boxes you can buy with extra channels on.
  • hobgate
    hobgate Posts: 606 Forumite
    Options
    Can you attach a dish inside the house?
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Digiglobe is your friend here
    http://www.ddelec.com/digiglobe.htm
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Top Up TV will get you a few extra Freeview channels.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • actionman_3
    Options
    Has anyone heard of tiscali tv. it doesnt need a dish and you can get broadband and phone.TY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure