Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE news: Nationwide reports largest house price rise for over two years

Options

Comments

• StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wasn't Dithering Dad telling people six months ago to buy a house because the bottom was reached and because fixed interest mortgages had also reached their bottom price. I remember he was talking about a fee free 3.99% 5 year fix from A&L. I also believe that he called the bottom of the stock market correctly too.
    ?

Hey Harry, you seem to be our resident DD expert icon7.gif BTW I thought DD moved all his pension funds into cash :confused: although he did make a good play on Lloyds, if I remember correctly. BTW DD was my fav poster.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Dan:_4
    Dan:_4 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nollag2006 wrote: »
    Thank goodness that house price falls are now a thing of the past. Here's hoping we get back to the 2007 peak levels by Christmas.

Thats wishful thinking, much like Brit's 50% fall by xmas.

However, I wouldn't rule out the YoY figure showing a small positive by xmas, so 2009 really would have been a disaster.
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    Hey Harry, you seem to be our resident DD expert icon7.gif BTW I thought DD moved all his pension funds into cash :confused: although he did make a good play on Lloyds, if I remember correctly. BTW DD was my fav poster.

lol, you lot are slipping. I mentioned DD and had to wait at least 30 mins for the sockpupet furor!! :)

D+, must do better. :rotfl:
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst it may be a year or so off (depending what you believe), what do posters think the impact of interest rates returning to higher levels will have on sustainability and growth of house prices?

In 2007 I remember lots of articles of people failing to keep up with mortgage payments after base rates had steadily risen due to inflation. We did not reach a crisis because house prices started to drop due to credit crunch and confidence. But with today's Nationwide figures, the price of houses is on its way back up (even if mortgage repayments aren't yet - but they will be).

I have a worry that people rely too much on affordability without noting that interest rates have never been this low before. Sure they can make mortgage payments now, but they will increase.
    Options
    Whilst it may be a year or so off (depending what you believe), what do posters think the impact of interest rates returning to higher levels will have on sustainability and growth of house prices?

In 2007 I remember lots of articles of people failing to keep up with mortgage payments after base rates had steadily risen due to inflation. We did not reach a crisis because house prices started to drop due to credit crunch and confidence. But with today's Nationwide figures, the price of houses is on its way back up (even if mortgage repayments aren't yet - but they will be).

I have a worry that people rely too much on affordability without noting that interest rates have never been this low before. Sure they can make mortgage payments now, but they will increase.

Interest rates will rise which will cool off HPI - This is a good thing because no one (not even Dan) wants house prices to get ridiculously high again.

It will not effect people currently taking out mortgages as the margin between the base rate and mortgage rates is unusually wide.
    Options
    I wonder where nearlynew, shakerbaby, Brit, Carolt, downey etc are today?

Must be either too upset to post, too humiliated to post, or down the EA to get in quick.
  • StevieJ
    Options
    lol, you lot are slipping. I mentioned DD and had to wait at least 30 mins for the sockpupet furor!! :)

D+, must do better. :rotfl:

Not sure what you mean icon7.gif
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • chucky
    chucky Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dan: wrote: »
    I wonder where nearlynew, shakerbaby, Brit, Carolt, downey etc are today?

Must be either too upset to post, too humiliated to post, or down the EA to get in quick.

this is just another nail in that HPC coffin!!
  • baileysbattlebus
    Options
    On a house price board? I'm sure someone will try....:rotfl:

Bank of mum and dad, or granny and grandad.
    :beer:

Talking about the Bank of mum and dad - this very morning we had an "invitation" from Bryant Homes to "Help your kids get that all important step on the property ladder" and to "Reclaim your space"

They call this a "parent power" event - Wokingham Town Hall on 4th and 5th September.

You can get things like stamp duty refunds and 5% deposit paid. I'm not sure how it works - but I suppose it's a joint mortgage with your kids - perhaps with your house as security? Maybe someone will come along who knows how these thing work.

this is the development - it's not far from us.

http://www.bryant.co.uk/newhomes/Oxfordshire/Cranford+Pines/

needless to say I won't be attending - this bank of mum and dad have removed the ATM, I'm afraid.
  • StevieJ
    Options

They will only increase to the levels at which people took out their mortgage originally and only when the recession is a memory, do you not remember the STR brigade saying 'wait until they come off those two year fixes' (assuming interest rates would be a lot higher) well they did and were very happy icon7.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure