We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Options

Comments

• unicornstar
    Options
    chriswatts wrote: »
    There is something to stop people experiencing these problems, it's called the Pill! :rotfl: Your kids your decision to have them, your problem not society's!

You're opening a can of worms here! In fact so are all the people saying having children is a choice therefore why have special parking spaces. We are built to breed otherwise the human race would die out, it is a natural thing to reproduce. In fact if people didn't choose to have kids there wouldn't even be any disabled people to fill the disabled bays!!! Problem solved! Let's all stop breeding and then there will be no disabled people and no kids and everyone will be happy and can park where they like!

I find it absolutely absurd that people want to risk an innocent childs safety (whether fat, screaming, quiet, skinny, they are all just innocent children at the end of the day) just so they don't need to walk as far to the store, or just because they feel victimised because they don't have special spaces for them.

Where is the consideration for other people??? If you were walking through a door and a stranger "chose" to walk through the door directy after you would you let the door slam in their face simply because it was their "choice" to walk through it? Or would you hold it open. I was brought up to have manners and consideration for other people, seems not everyone was!
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sometimes wonder what the point of these moral dilemmas are.

Is it to remind us how selfish some people are?

Is it to encourage people to think about the rancid behaviour and change?

For heaven's sake, if everyone considered others as much as they cared about themselves what a wonderful country this would be.

But frankly, it is too late. The selfish, self-centred, me me me have won.
  • MUNCHKIN123
    Options
    Cloudane wrote: »
    No...

Parking in a disabled space is illegal, I think? Even if this is a loophole since it's not a designated disable space, no. I'll leave that to the 4x4 and Audi drivers.

Why Audi drivers??
  • anntics
    anntics Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    This is a common misconception about disabled spaces, in many places they are no longer free, the charges are the same as any other person using the car park. As a disabled person I have no problem with that. The reason for needing a disabled space is to have enough room to get in and out of the car, I have to have the door open to its fullest extent, not usually possible in a regular space.

In our out of town shopping centre the spaces are now 'dual-purpose' with both disabled and parent and child symbols, and it seems to work well.

I never park on double yellow lines even with my badge, as the lines are mostly there to prevent parking in places which would pose a risk to the driver or other road users. I always try to park responsibly, which would include leaving space behind the car for the wheelchair user.

As for the length of time, events often overtake good intentions. When I was fit and well, many a time I used to 'nip' to the bank only to find the queue was ridiculously long and had to wait forever.
    Cheers

Ann
  • parkysaves
    Options
    SusanC wrote: »
    I wish the parent and child spaces were further away so that other people wouldn't use them. I don't see any need for them to be near to the store although it is useful if they are by a walkway which leads to the store so that you don't have to be crossing lot sof aisles with a small child.

I totally agree with the spaces being further back. Disabled spaces need to be nearer the store for obvious reasons but I'd rather the parent and baby spaces were nearer trolley bays so I don't have to run off and leave my children in the car on their own. Indeed I tend to favour spaces nearer trolley bays for that reason. :eek: ..... What is that?? I hear you say. Someone who puts trolleys in a bay and doesnt leave them to dent the next persons car be it disabled bay, p & T bay or neither !!! :p
    I am not a financial expert and I am not perfect but purrleeaassse don't be mean to me if I express an opinion that may not be quite what you thought. :p
  • nathanhill69
    Options

I find it absolutely absurd that people want to risk an innocent childs safety (whether fat, screaming, quiet, skinny, they are all just innocent children at the end of the day) just so they don't need to walk as far to the store, or just because they feel victimised because they don't have special spaces for them.

Where is the consideration for other people??? If you were walking through a door and a stranger "chose" to walk through the door directy after you would you let the door slam in their face simply because it was their "choice" to walk through it? Or would you hold it open. I was brought up to have manners and consideration for other people, seems not everyone was!

Could not agree more with all of your comments although I'm guessing that some posters on this thread would probably let that door slam in the other persons face:rolleyes:.

I also find it odd how people say "having children is a lifestyle choice" - it's not like buying a Porsche or an iPhone. Also, people should remember that the youth of today will actually be funding the services, such as the NHS, you will be using as you get older. I just pity the twisted version of morals some posters seem to regard as justified and right - it really is a clear demonstration of the "I'm all right Jack, pull the ladder up" philosophy that seems prevalent.
  • anntics
    anntics Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Surbybird wrote: »
    Ah, but do we know that they actually have a wheelchair with them?

Now I'd park in the space, and however loudly people protest that it is immmoral and wrong etc., I'd bet they'd do it too if the situation arose. I have often been prevented from parking outside or even close to my own home by someone with one of these signs and the occasions where the driver actually has a wheelchair in his car are few and far between (he is not the wheelchair user).

So although the vehicle may display such a sign, you should not necessarily assume that the driver has a wheelchair with them and if that is the case, it is they who are being selfish for not removing the sign when they don't need to use it.
    Unless you live in a residents only parking area then you do not have the automatic right to park outside or close to your home. Any unrestricted on-street parking is available to all road users. The only right you have is access to your drive if there is a dropped-kerb to cross the pavement.
    Cheers

Ann
  • parkysaves
    Options
    PMSL... Audi Drivers??? Isn't it usually Volvo drivers that get stick?!!!:rotfl:
    I am not a financial expert and I am not perfect but purrleeaassse don't be mean to me if I express an opinion that may not be quite what you thought. :p
  • THRIFTY_GIRL
    Options
    parkysaves wrote: »
    PMSL... Audi Drivers??? Isn't it usually Volvo drivers that get stick?!!!:rotfl:

We had both, but now have neither....amazing how your choice of car changes a person's perception of you:D what is wrong with society.....that's a thread for another day

Good Night
    MFiT - T2 # 64start date: 1.7.09 MFW end date: 31.10.17
    Start balance: £205,746.51 :eek: Month 18/100..paid 13.50%
    Current balance: £177,977.07 (updated 18.12.10)
    Target 12.12.12: From £194,000 to £140,000:p
    MFI-3 reductions: £16,023/£54,000 achieved (29.67%):j
  • Stampede_2
    Options
    Phew .. what a lot of related issues about who parks where and when .. but getting back to the initial simple Q:

This is an ordinary on street free parking space, not a designated one for any particular group of people.

The car has a conventional boot and nothing in the Q suggests that the vehicle is adapted to do anything but lift the lid and place objects in it, in this case a wheel chair - if anything it suggests a certain degree of mobility and ability and probably some one to assist the driver.

It would be a neat bit of parking if someone can get into a slot and only have a foot to spare so maybe there is a deliberate degree of provocation in the Q .. yes it could be done with some vehicles but I'd probably be more worried that whoever was parked to front and rear of me would not be as competent as I was getting into and out of the space and would bump front and rear of my vehicle to get out themselves - regardless of putting a wheel chair in a boot.

I think I can truthfully declare I have never knowingly improperly used a designated disabled persons space .. but I have to say that having relatives who do use a wheel chair which we place into our vehicle - if there is enough room to park in an ordinary conventional manner then there is enough room to stow the wheel chair away in ordinary conventional, non adapted vehicles and so the Q seems more hypothetical than a reality and was designed to do what it did .. explore our attitudes on wider front.

:jtotally debt free, just ordinary every day bills, and always pay the credit card off in full each month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure