Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Options

Comments

• mummyvn
    Options
    BigSky wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?

I'd never park obscuring such a car people who do are obviously lucky enough to never have experienced lack of mobility.

As for the comment about parent and toddler bays :mad: they are there for several resons:

To get your child in and out of the seat requires the doors opened wider so it avoids idiots parking too close and getting thier doors scratched.

So that when you put your shopping and baby back in the car you do not need walk halfway back with a trolley leaving your child unattended in the car at risk of unsavory characters.

So that you do not need walk through a busy car park full of irresponsible drivers with a small child and laden trolley.

I was on crutches during my pregnancy and shopping with a toddler and crutches I couldn't and wouldn't have used a disabled place so why could I not get a parent and child space because of old people using them???

Oh and while I'm on it they are Parent and Toddler spaces having teenagers should not count :mad:
  • Bloke
    Bloke Posts: 192 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Not if I noticed the sign.

However, if there are disabled bays within a reasonable distance they should park in one of those even if it isn't as convenient for them. I'd also really like to know how they decide how many disabled bays should be in a car park, I don't think I've ever seen them full.

As for parent and child spaces, for getting a baby in and out of the rear seats of a 3 door car they're great. Disabled people however should be clamped if they park in a parent and child bay when disabled bays are available (again I've never seen them full).

Also for people concerned about the age of the 'children' in the parent and child spaces; Tesco although they probably don't enforce it give out permits for the spaces to last until your child is 3 IIRC
  • nathanhill69
    nathanhill69 Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 12:12PM
    Options
    It would be shockingly ignorant and selfish to park your car in this space. Whilst taking on board a previous poster comments that disabled drivers need to take some responsibility for their parking (and you do see a lot of "unique" parking by badge holders), I think in this particular example anyone who even attempts to justify parking in the space is just deluding themselves.

I don't buy into the "there are to many people who shouldn't have a disabled badge" - possibly there are as like all things there are going to be abusers of the disabled badge status. In this particular instant you have no way of knowing the circumstances of the owners of the disabled car in front so you have to assume they are legitimate (one would imagine if they have the need for a wheel chair they are pretty legitimate holders of a disabled badge).

As for comments regarding parent and child parking spaces - people who think it's fair game to park in these spaces without having a small child are pig ignorant. Many parents do not have a choice as to wether they bring their child to the supermarket and it's tricky enough getting your child out of the car in a restricted space, finding a trolley whilst keeping a toddler safe from traffic. Far to often people park their cars in these spaces as it just that little closer to the supermarket entrance (despite there being loads of available standard parking spaces) or they claim that "if I park my over sized 4x4 in a standard space someone will mark the paint work when getting in and out of their car" (that's likely to be the parent forced to park in a standard parking space struggling to get their child out of their car seat in a restricted space you numpty). Personally if I have my children with me and there are no Parent Child spaces available I don't just use the disabled parking spaces either (I'll take a moment there to polish my Halo;);))

I would encourage people to challenge those who illegitimately park in these spaces, the more people who shame these ignorant idiots might instil in them that their selfish and in-considerate actions are not socially acceptable. If more people took a moment to consider how their selfish actions impact on others rather than adopting the "I'm alright jack, pull the ladder up" attitude maybe they would find that the environment they live in would be a better place.
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd probably park there. As a sometimes wheelchair user I'd have to ask myself why the person in that car had left their car with a parking space behind it if they genuinely need the access space.

I know from experience that the majority of members of the public ignore those types of sign and they are not legally enforcable so if I actually needed 6 foot of access room behind my veichle I'd park it somewhere that will give me that space.

Most NCP and town centre car parks will have disabled spaces at the bottom or somewhere and will allow disabled people to park for free so if I found a car with a sticker requesting space parked as described I'd assume the car was being borrowed by a friend or relative or something and that access space wasn't really needed.

I would consider leaving my contact details on the dashboard though so they could call me if they really did need the access space.
  • Inverness
    Inverness Posts: 269 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    donna1976 wrote: »
    I would do it- if I didnt park there somebody else would! They would have a disable badge themselves and therefore be able to park where they were guaranteed access. Its like askin the q 'if u found a purse full of money wud u hand it in' (which i ave and did). If u knew people wud u wud do the same but in this day and age people arent like that anymore

This post sums up the utter selfishness we nearly all have to one another these days - it is so sad.
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    Money_saving_Martyn Posts: 220 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 12:36PM
    Options
    I wouldn't park there - but I'd be bl**dy annoyed!:mad:

To throw a spanner into the works, the driver of the vehicle might have borrowed the car - not parked in a disabled bay because they are able bodied and not noticed that this "please evacuate all spaces behind me" sign was in the back. After all, why would a blue badge holder be parking in a "normal" free space when they can park for free in areas where they can get better access to their vehicle ?

Assume there is a disabled passenger/driver and let's take this to an extreme; how would you feel if every free/normal space was taken up by a blue badge holder while the disabled spaces were all empty? Who's (are) the selfish one(s) in this situation? ;) This is partly how I see this. The blue badge holder could probably park in the NCP car park (or a similar council run one) for free anyway - so while hog 2 "normal" free spaces?

I want to say "I don't park in your spaces, don't you park in (TWO) of mine!" but I don't wholly believe in this "us versus them" attitude.

All in all, I probably wouldn't park behind them; I'd hate to be responsible for a disabled person waiting for me, needing the loo, being hungry etc..... (they also might try to access their car anyway and accidentally damage my car! :rotfl:)

.......... BUT, even if I didn't park there out of kindness/public duty..... I'd still resent having to pay £5 an hour while they "hogged" 2 free spaces.... when they could have a £5 space for free!....... but then I'd get over it and get on with my life - if the disabled badge holder is oblivious to the annoyance he/she is causing, why should I lose sleep over it?!

As for parent and child spaces - if there aren't any I just park in far corner of the car park (where it's quiet!) and do a whole 1 minute's worth of extra walking.... life's too short to bother about having special spaces - I just wanna get into the supermarket and get out again!!
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • Bargain_Hunt_3
    Options
    BigSky wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?

What about the parents of slim kids that ARE well behaved round the supermarket???? Why do I have to struggle to get my kids in & out of the car because some oaf has selfishly parked in a "parent & child" bay? If you don't like hearing kids in a supermarket, just do your shopping online! I don't like badly behaved kids & their parents either, but don't tar all parents with the same brush please!
    Also, I would never park blocking a car showing a disabled sign - you never know what might happen to you in the future so you should always treat everyone with respect and hope what comes around, goes around.
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    Options
    Inverness wrote: »
    This post sums up the utter selfishness we nearly all have to one another these days - it is so sad.

Yes, the person who handed in a purse of money is the most selfish person on earth :confused:......
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    If people are just going for newspapers or a drink surely they can walk somewhere or go to a big supermarket with ample free parking. I wouldn't block the person in because if I was going somewhere in a car it would be for more than a few minutes and it wouldn't be fair to the person in the wheelchair if they can't get out because of me.
  • nathanhill69
    Options
    Surbybird wrote: »
    Yes, they do. Order it online and get it delivered. Spend less, pollute less and no hassles with getting Little Johnny in and out of the car either! It's not rocket science, is it?

This rationale equally applies to yourself so not really a worthwhile point to argue.

Surbybird wrote: »
    Now you see, I go the other way. I can't abide parking near inconsiderate parents who park badly so the last place I'd ever park would be near a Parent & Child space. I mean, the standard of parking from most parents is abysmal as they struggle to control their huge Chrysler Grand Voyagers with a screaming child in it distracting them.

I say let them have their big spaces and then those of us who value our vehicles (and our lives, as I've been almost run over by them reversing their barges out without looking many times) can park safely at the back of the car park without fear of being clobbered by them.

You're totally correct, all parents, by definition, are terrible drivers and even worse parkers who are restricted to huge cars such as Chrysler Grand Voyagers.

I'm only responding to your comments as you obviously mean them tongue firmly placed in cheek as no one could really have such obnoxious views:D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure