Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Options

Comments

• quickgirl1
    Options
    YES.
    This is an easy one. All the other driver has to do is to exit the parking space into the roadway, where he will have the space necessary to get the wheelchair in and out of the boot.

No, Never, you should never block wheelchair access, cars or anything else, never presume that the wheelchair person is with someone more able bodied, who can help. Imagine even if you had just parked there even for a few minutes and maybe they had to go somewhere urgently for what ever reason, you could delay them for something that might be extremely important or that might cost them dear.

You should always think of the other person, and how you would feel if the same thing happened to you........would you like it?
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    quickgirl1 wrote: »
    Imagine even if you had just parked there even for a few minutes and maybe they had to go somewhere urgently for what ever reason, you could delay them for something that might be extremely important or that might cost them dear.

You should always think of the other person, and how you would feel if the same thing happened to you........would you like it?

If they had to go somewhere urgently, then they should have thought about it. Why park somewhere before an important appointment where it is highly likely that they will not have immediate access when they want it.
  • unicornstar
    Options
    Surbybird wrote: »
    In that case, can I refer you to your post #138 - "Many parents do not have a choice as to wether they bring their child to the supermarket ".

What about single parents who may not have anyone they can leave their children with while they go shopping?
  • Onslowette
    Options
    BigSky wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?

Then dont moan when I open my car doors wide and bash your car when I get the baby seats out when I have to park in a normal space as some ignorant person with no children has taken the last "family" bay! I dont care if the bays are at the far end, back of the car park, the bays are handy as they are wider and allow my well-behaved, healthy children in and out the car!
  • phildunn
    phildunn Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 12 August 2009 at 2:23PM
    Options
    A.Jones wrote: »

I'm not sure what a cashpoint cripple is - is it a disabled person using the cashpoint? Why do they have less right to the parking spot (if they have a disabled badge) than someone wanting to use the shop?

A cashpoint cripple is a derogatory name used to descibe a fully abled person who stops in a disabled parking space for "just a few minutes" whatever the reason. It does NOT refer to a disabled person at all. It's used in the same way that some posters have generalised about 4x4, BMW etc, not that I am accusing drivers of these types of vehicles!

To be fair I accept that i could have parked normally, but too often I have been blocked in ( where an able bodied person could access the car but not my friend) I am not keen on reversing out and stopping as this often delays other road users and it takes a few minutes to get my mate safely into the car.
  • kittyburke
    Options
    I am afraid to say that I would rather block a disabled car than give NCP any money at all.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    They are not trying to be helpful at all though. You are thinking that they are providing these spaces for entirely altruistic reasons but nothing could be further from the truth. They want you to take Little Johnny in and spend shedloads of cash on rubbish because they have put all the expensive stuff just in his line of vision which prompts the inevitable tantrum and then poor mum or dad gives in and buys the things that the supermarket want you to waste your money on.

If they provide more P&C spaces, more parents take their children shopping and they get more cash through the tills. I'm sure that it is a proven business model and all of the parents who view it as helpfulness are failing to see the cynical marketing ploy that is behind it. The only thing that they are helping you to do is spend more!

These days there are many reasons for taking kids to the supermarket - there are now more single parent families, more people having to work weekends so only one parent is free, etc.

So an alternative view as to why they offer parent and child parking is that if you need to take your kids shopping and supermarket A has parent and child slots and supermarket B does not, all other things being equal, then most sensible people will use A rather than B.

It is cynical marketing? They do not provide any parking for altruistic reasons - whether it is parent and child parking or regular parking. The whole point of providing any parking spaces is that if there was no available parking, no one would go. Therefore, anyone using the carpark is falling for the "cynical marketing ploy that is behind it", getting people into the supermarket to spend money in their shop and not another one.
  • nathanhill69
    nathanhill69 Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 2:30PM
    Options
    in that case, can I refer you to your post #138 - "Many parents do not have a choice as to wether they bring their child to the supermarket ".

If you want to be pedantic.... but as other posters have highlighted they sometimes don't have a choice - maybe those parents also need to stop off to pick up "some milk and cat food" and are on their way home after picking their child up from the nursery having driven from work. Maybe they could order that pint of milk online and wait a day or two for it to be delivered?
    They are not trying to be helpful at all though. You are thinking that they are providing these spaces for entirely altruistic reasons but nothing could be further from the truth. They want you to take Little Johnny in and spend shedloads of cash

I think we all realise that. However it's still a convenience that as, I will reiterate, does primarily provide some extra safety to toddlers as you get them out of the car and also is actually needed as you often have to fully open the rear doors to get children out of their car seats. Again, your point being?
    I am a parent but have never used a Parent & Child space because I've never felt that I have needed to.

Well done, where should we post your medal to? ;);)
    You may not agree with their choices or mine, but calling people "ignorant idiots" because they have made a different choice to you isn't going to make them see things from your point of view.

Actually I stand by that assertion that people who park in parent and children parking spaces when they are childless are indeed ignorant idiots, I don't expect that anyone who does this is ever going to see things from my point of view however eloquently I argue the point.
  • unicornstar
    Options
    Which is fair enough, but previous posters haven't flagged this up as a reason why they have to drive to the supermarket with their children because they have no other choices.

I was responding to their assertions that they have to drive to a supermarket because they are too far away or they go to work or the pace of life is too fast (!). You are the exception and I totally understand that you may, on some occasions, have the choice of shopping online denied to you. However, my issue wasn't with people driving to supermarkets with their children, but with their claims that they do so because they have no other choice.

Therefore, I will change my previous statement to say that the vast majority do have other choices but are apparently unwilling to consider them.

In that case the same applies for everyone, nobody NEEDS to go to the supermarket really, they just choose to. I don't really understand what your point is by pointing out that parents don't HAVE to go to the supermarket. Disabled people don't HAVE to go to the supermarket, Abled bodied non parents don't HAVE to go to the supermarket, vicars don't HAVE to go to the supermarket, nurses don't HAVE to go to the supermarket, the list is endless, we could be here all day!
  • relaxtwotribes
    Options
    Yes. After all, if the other driver returns before I do my chauffeur would move it out of the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure