We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Aldi Fruit plant offer

Options
caz07
caz07 Posts: 141 Forumite
edited 31 July 2009 at 4:58PM in Gardening
If anyone is interested On sale from Thursday 6th August patio/wall climbing fruit plants

9cm pot-grown plants ; Pomegranate, Kiwi, Grape, Cranberry, Tayberry, Fig and Gojiberry ,Loganberry and Red Gooseberry
£1.99p each

worth a punt :D

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I've had loads of quid plants from Aldi, the one is over 5 feet tall now after 3 years.
  • Jawuk
    Jawuk Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Brown Turkey fig that's about 6 years old now. It's grown in a sheltered position beside a curved wall. Figs like water, and are often found growing with their feet in the banks of streams, but for domestic fruiting purposes they need their roots restricting. I planted mine inside a specially bent old fireguard which stops the large roots but lets through the smaller feed and water roots. Last year I picked a bare half dozen fruit altho fingers crossed I shall get between 4 and 5 dozen this year. The secret to sweet fruit is to leave them until they really are brown, then they'll be soft and succulent.
    I might well buy another from Aldi - at £1.99 I can't lose, altho I may have to pen the roots in with old slabs.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caz07 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested On sale from Thursday 6th August patio/wall climbing fruit plants

9cm pot-grown plants ; Pomegranate, Kiwi, Grape, Cranberry, Tayberry, Fig and Gojiberry ,Loganberry and Red Gooseberry
    £1.99p each

worth a punt :D

Can you grow pomegranate and kiwi outdoors in this country? I dont have a greenhouse.
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that - I think I'll stock up and see what survives a Dundee winter! My fig has coped fine so far, so I'll see what else may be hardier than it looks...
  • caz07
    Options
    lolly5648 wrote: »
    Can you grow pomegranate and kiwi outdoors in this country? I dont have a greenhouse.

this is what i have read

Kiwi's they can be grown outdoors in the UK if planted in a suitably sheltered position

Pomegranate plants thrive in sunny, warm areas. Although they will still grow in partial shade for best results choose a sunny area for planting. These plants are rather hardy and can survive colder temperatures although the risk of plant damage increases when temperatures drop below freezing. These plants can add a pleasing note of color to your yard or garden.

hope this helps
  • lolly5648
    Options
    Thanks Caz for your reply - I am going to see what I can grab at Aldi and hope for the best.

Do you know if any of them need ericaceous soil or will they grow in good old London clay
  • caz07
    Options
    lolly5648 wrote: »
    Thanks Caz for your reply - I am going to see what I can grab at Aldi and hope for the best.

Do you know if any of them need ericaceous soil or will they grow in good old London clay

From what i have read

Soil The pomegranate thrives on calcareous, alkaline soil and on deep, acidic loam and a wide range of soils in between these extremes

Kiwi
    Survival can be improved by growing them in a five gallon container for the first season,
    Select a planting site that has good air drainage, and one that is protected from high winds and is not frost prone. The soil should be a well-drained loam, since heavy clay soils make plants much more prone to root rot. Plants do best when the soil pH is around 6.5.
    hope this helps lolly
  • lolly5648
    Options
    caz07 wrote: »
    From what i have read

Soil The pomegranate thrives on calcareous, alkaline soil and on deep, acidic loam and a wide range of soils in between these extremes

Kiwi
    Survival can be improved by growing them in a five gallon container for the first season,
    Select a planting site that has good air drainage, and one that is protected from high winds and is not frost prone. The soil should be a well-drained loam, since heavy clay soils make plants much more prone to root rot. Plants do best when the soil pH is around 6.5.
    hope this helps lolly

I am sure it would if I understood a word of it:) I think I will give kiwi a miss. I will buy a fig - we have one already - and also the gooseberry and perhaps one other, either the tay or loganberry. I will look them both up to see ideal growing conditions.

Thanks again for your help.
  • lechat
    lechat Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    i bought one of each from my local aldi but unfortunately there were no goose or loganberrys :o( but for 1.99 definitely worth a try at growing.
  • Dribblekitten
    Options
    Glad I spotted this, bought 2 x figs and 2 cranberries today, excited about possibly having home grown figs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure