When you're in a "Debt hole"..Stop Digging!

Options

Comments

• Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

Its payday on Wednesday and still have a small amount in bank - about £12.00, which is a big positive as it shows budget has been kept to.

Have set up another savings account to "piggybank / ringfence" monies for car tax and MoT.

As time goes on, things are slowly getting better simply because finances have been stabilised and we can live within our means and have an enjoyable life without wearing the "must buy, must spend" blinkers / mentality.
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Payday today and the montly budget has been done. All figures have been have put into the budget spreadsheet and all bills are covered :).

As long as I stay disciplined, the month should be ok. This month, for the first time, I have paid my own spending money allowance (£40.00) into a savings account which only has a cashpoint card.

This way, I can only spend whats in there and because it's a cashpoint card and not a debit card, I won't be tempted by impulse spending - having to go to cashpoint first should be my ally to "staying on the straight and narrow"

Will post updates during the month

BFN fellow DFW'ers :hello:
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    edited 14 July 2011 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Well its Payday tomorrow and have managed to stay on track and also took OH out a couple of times, which was really nice.

Monthly Budget & Spending spreadsheet is working well and just monitoring spending is helping keep things on target.

Have now starting budgeting £7.50 per day for petrol and tallying up any savings which occur due to using a bit less petrol or going on train instead, at end of week. This is better than trying to micro-manage precisely how much I need for petrol. Slightly over-budgeting helps prevent reckless spending i.e. I would only spend money if I definitely knew it was there to spend...so, if I'm not sure I wont spend it!!!

Now hoping to put aside some O/time backpay which was due to me for a short break away at end of August.

Also, took meter readings yesterday and we used only half of gas in previous months - getting the faulty seal fixed on gas cooker is obviously working!!!! :)

Will try to post updates throughout month.

Bye for now fellow DFW'ers..
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Have just paid £15.00 into my Emergency Fund, making balance £18.00 :j.
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Well it's payday on the 15th and it's going to be tight :(

This month's plans were knocked for six by a couple of vets bills, which added up to £150.00 - had to raid the Contigency Fund and OH put rest on her CC (credit card).

Still managed to pay CCCS and the monthly budget seems to be working ok. I now pay my Personal Spending into a separate savings account which has a cashpoint card. This way, I can only spend what's in there and the current account is purely for bills. I'm also going to start drawing my petrol money out each week and will keep that separate too - this means I have no need to use debit card at all :).

Bye for now fellow DFW'er :wave:
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    edited 16 August 2011 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Well, its now August....

This month is going to be a challening but interesting month. We currently have four cars (YES FOUR!) :eek: but one is currently up for sale and another going on sale this week. The long and short of it is I'll end up with OH's "old" car which is more fuel efficient and cheaper to tax than my current car. The sale of my current car and her second car - don't ask...very long long story... will pay for her replacement car and my tax on my replacement car ...hope you're still following this :rotfl:

Otherwise, we are spending this week doing loads of jobs whilst off and relaxing a bit too :)

Current monthly budget is £48.00 short but have some other items on Ebay which will "square the circle" so to speak.

Bye for now fellow DFW'ers :wave:
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Woke up today to find letter from Nationwide BS stating that they are looking to enforce debt of £2653.41 by means of CCJ. Phoned CCCS, who stated that Nationwide like to go down this road and obtain a Charging Order on property to secure their position regarding debt repayment.

CCCS advised me to monitor position and if I receive any court papers, contact them again on how to proceed.

My already low opinion of what was once a worthy organisation has now plummeted.
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Well, the Nationwide BS have sent me a court claim form N9A, which I have duly completed and sent back to them yesterday (Friday 26th). I suppose they can't have what I haven't got so no use worrying about it. :). I've stated on form that I can only afford what I'm paying them already so watch this space...

Bye for now fellow DFw'ers :wave:
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    edited 29 August 2011 at 1:50PM
    Options
    Driving home Friday evening and car starts to make a low rumbling noise like a Chieftan tank... :rotfl:

Exhaust gone :eek:

Got it fixed this morning, £155.00. The MOT is due at end of November so better it go now then face a massive bill and fail MOT at same time.

Feel strangely optimistic despite above. Just need to get Nationwide parasites sorted out... :mad:
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

• Chrisblue1962
    Options
    Just saved £10.00 per month on our Virgin Media package :T
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport