Car Hire excess cover insurance policy

Options

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »

Ok, to clarify.... the link in post #2 already includes a 10 pounds discount for the basic European and Worldwide products. You cannot use that link via Quidco.

If you go via Quidco, you pay the full price and then have wait for a rebate.

Only if you are going for one of their products not covered by the discount is it worth going via Quidco. There is a 3 pounds saving on the Worldwide product, but you'll have to decide whether it's worth the wait.
  • stinky84
    stinky84 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Or if you just want cover for one holiday, say a week or, so then try chargecarhire-excess-insurance.com they cover you for the excess for £1.90 / day = £13.30 / week which is a lot cheaper than the car hire and many online booking companies

I usally use doyouspain.com for Spannish rentals but all car hire prices in Spain have shot up in price, for example the car I had in July for 11 days cost me 158 euros with full insurance with them, looking for one for a week in September and they want 279 euro for the same group car ( 5dr Clio with a/c) so will probably book with ebookers.com for £116 and take the above excess insurance as they want £33.25 for the same cover
  • stinky84
    Options
    I took out the excess insurance in my post above from carhire-excess-insurance.com which was very lucky for me as when the car was parked overnight the front wing and door was scraped by another vehicle.
    Hertz charged me 380 odd euros excess and when I returned home I phoned up for a claim form which they emailed me, filled it in and returned it along with all the documentation they asked for including a copy of my credit card bill showing the payment and a copy of my licence.
    Didn't expect any joy as right at the end of form it said for claims over £250 they required a full breakdown of the repair costs and this was just a light scrape, most of which would have poilshed out but a few weeks later I received an email saying that the £347 would be credited to my nominated bank account and it has since arrived.
    Overall I'm amazed they payed out and would recommend them to anyone who requires excess insurance although in future I'll probably try and get full insurance with no excess as I used to do unless it is way more expensive just becaues of the thought of the hassle involved spoiled the last two days of my holiday.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that Stinky, I have bought these policies before but luckily, never had to use them, so good to know they do pay out.
  • Donnie
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Thanks for that Stinky, I have bought these policies before but luckily, never had to use them, so good to know they do pay out.

It's the same company as in my link in post #2.
  • pompeyrich
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    It's the same company as in my link in post #2.

I realise that but stinky had actually made a claim on the policy. I have used various car hire excess companies for many years now but fortunately never had to claim, so it was good to hear from someone who had claimed succesfully. The benchmark for a good insurance policy is not the initial cost but the way they deal with a claim in my opinion.
  • Donnie
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    I realise that but stinky had actually made a claim on the policy. I have used various car hire excess companies for many years now but fortunately never had to claim, so it was good to hear from someone who had claimed succesfully. The benchmark for a good insurance policy is not the initial cost but the way they deal with a claim in my opinion.

I mean.. it's exactly the same company, but with a non geographical telephone number. :)
  • pompeyrich
    Options
    Oh OK sorry, good that they appear to have paid out though.
  • Donnie
    Options
    Can report that there were no problems with Insurance4CarHire paying out too.
  • pompeyrich
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    Can report that there were no problems with Insurance4CarHire paying out too.

Thanks Donnie, did you have much hassle ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure