PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!
    For once I did what I said I'd do and went just to the greengrocers for mushrooms and came out with only mushrooms! A mini triumph for me!

70p added to the signature......
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Thanks for the further info - probably not worth me making a special trip then as my machine does 2.5lb or 3lb, so I'd have to use more than 1 per loaf and I don't think that would really work out any cheaper than my current individual ingredients :confused:

However, I made a 2.5lb loaf yesterday and it's very hard to cut (as much because of the height as the holes from the paddles) - plus it's disappearing at an incredible rate of knots :eek: If I can work out how to use the machine for 'dough only' for the 3lb size (I assume it's likely to have this function, but need to explore) and then split it between 3x1lb loaf tins and bang them into my oven, can anyone advise what I need to do once I take the dough out of the machine please? I assume they'd need another rise once in the tins, as splitting and knocking into shape to get it into the tins is likely to cause it to drop :confused: And how long would I cook them at what temperature?

#Would have thought has been answered by now Cheryl , but this is how I always make my bread.

When dough cycle finishes, take dough out onto a floured surface, divide how wanted, I sometimes do baguettes or rolls instead of loaves.
    Place onto/into tins, cover loosely with a teatowel or loose carrier bag, leave to rise whilst oven is heating , then bake as normal.

I set my BM on timer so the dough is done for when I get up, then I shape etc and bake off all before the Economy 7 electric switches off, (all electric here).

hth
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • SEK_2
    SEK_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    When dough cycle finishes, take dough out onto a floured surface, divide how wanted, I sometimes do baguettes or rolls instead of loaves.
    Place onto/into tins, cover loosely with a teatowel or loose carrier bag, leave to rise whilst oven is heating , then bake as normal.

I set my BM on timer so the dough is done for when I get up, then I shape etc and bake off all before the Economy 7 electric switches off, (all electric here).

hth[/QUOTE]

Could you tell me what temp to use and how long do I cook them for please.
  • mama67
    Options
    Moniker wrote: »
    Disaster has struck! My Cookworks bread maker bought from Argos for £22-99 about 18mths ago has finally given up working. The paddle became stuck in the pan about 3 or 4 months ago but it still worked till today. The pan comes out but the bread isn't even at the dough stage. Does anyone know where I can get spares as the instruction book just refers you to Argos and the guarrantee has run out!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Had my Sainsbury's delivery today- mostly household stuff. Off to update my signature.

Moniker

I had the same problem, my pan started leaking I went thru all the spares numbers etc only to be told they don't make a spare pan - this was the cooksworks from Arg0s as well.

Ended up buying another cheapie as I use mine daily if not more
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent £6 yesterday on bread(4) and 12 pints of milk, the kids have eaten a loaf and a half of the bread already :eek: and almost 4 pints of milk :eek:.
    NSD here today, tea is sausage,egg,chips and peas in various forms (i had shouts of "i dont like peas" "i dont like egg" and DD will not eat either chips or egg so she is having sausage sarnies so that will be 2 loafs of bread in a day and a half :eek:.
    Am thinking it might it be worth my while making bread instead of buying it but cant really afford an expensive breadmaker I have tried freecycle but no joy as yet, so my question is are the cheaper breadmakers ok ?
  • mama67
    Options
    SEK wrote: »

hth

Could you tell me what temp to use and how long do I cook them for please.[/QUOTE]

I bake at 200°C for approx 25 mins. I tend to go by crust colour and smell now as have been doing it for so long.This is for a loaf.

For baguettes or rolls is it a little less time.

Always tip out and knock bottom for a hollow sound that shows it is done
  • mama67
    Options
    elly2 wrote: »
    Spent £6 yesterday on bread(4) and 12 pints of milk, the kids have eaten a loaf and a half of the bread already :eek: and almost 4 pints of milk :eek:.
    NSD here today, tea is sausage,egg,chips and peas in various forms (i had shouts of "i dont like peas" "i dont like egg" and DD will not eat either chips or egg so she is having sausage sarnies so that will be 2 loafs of bread in a day and a half :eek:.
    Am thinking it might it be worth my while making bread instead of buying it but cant really afford an expensive breadmaker I have tried freecycle but no joy as yet, so my question is are the cheaper breadmakers ok ?
    I had a expensive one first off but wore it out before the guarentee ran out so got a free replacement.
    Then got a cheapie and have stuck with them since as even replacement parts are nearly as dear as a new machine.
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a quick top up salad purchase to report - £3.54 from the farm shop. Still well under budget with just one more shop to do before my visitor arrives at the weekend. Must sort out menu plan for this as I've not done it yet and it would be so easy to buy too much.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben thanks for the recipes they look absolutely lush!
    elly2:- were the same in my house i just the cheapest one i could find out of argos, think it was £23. I use my mine at least 3 times a day and i am saving an absolute fortune. I use my bread maker for pizza dough, bread jam, cakes etc so for me it was well worth forking out the money for it.

Hi everyone, been a stressful night with my mother, we thought she had had a mild stroke. Luckily found out it was maybe a swollen gland in her gum/cheek which had flared up badly. she is having a check up on Thursday in case anything was missed.
    As of yesterday i'm officially assisting my mother with her food bills, she is feeding 2 adults, a dog + paying bills on £30 a week:eek:.
    So went to Lidl and spent £23 of on food for her and us.So helped her out a little, as were struggling too so i couldn't help her much.don't much myself but at least she'll have food for a few meals.Feel so guilty though.

In Lidl saw some bargains people to look out for:-
    400g mature cheese £1.29 x 3 (gave a packet to mum)
    50p for a kilo of vine tomatoes (gave some to mum)
    29p iceberg lettuce (gave half to mum)
    31p for a whole cucumber x 2 (gave one to mum)
    29p for a bag of radishes (gave some to mum)
    Corn on the cob 24p each (didnt buy)
    2l semi-skimmed milk 98p x 2 (gave one to mum)
    20 large sheets of sandpaper 49p (for OH)
    2l of orange juice 49p instead of 79 x 2
    margarine 59p
    Branston beans 4 pack £1((gave two to mum)

Took the boys out bramble picking for the past two days and have came back with 3 kilos of brambles(blackberries). So made four jars of jam:D, going to freeze some as well as make a crumble.There was so many we couldn't pick them all. So going back next week to grab some more. some very close to my home will hopefully be ready for the weekend.

Been quite successful this week, the boys have decided to make a meal plan of they own for this weekend to my surprise this is what they decided upon for main meals. Now if your like me sat down at breakfast time with a cup of tea with a 9 and 5 year old who insist on telling me about teenage mutant ninja turtles and pizza.Be afraid you might have a heart attack.
    Okay here we go:-
    Mon:- fish pie, HG pots and HG veg
    Tues :-HM veg soup and bread :eek:
    Wed :- spaghetti bolognese + broccoli:eek:
    Thurs:- Curry and rice
    Fri:- Stew and HM bread

I swear i nearly choked on my tea, so this is what were having up to now, with on demand salad, yes you heard right, salad, omelettes and sandwiches!!!
    I think i should call the police and say my kids have been adducted:rotfl:.
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    I've still not been to the supermarket yet this month... I have had a couple of take aways though (I'm on afternoon-evenings this week)... BUT, I can get three nights of meals out of £3.50 :D
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport