We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

would appreciate your views on Furniture Village

Options

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Better be careful what I post :rolleyes:
    You will think I work for F.V :rotfl:

Have a three piece suite , dining table and 'nine' chairs ( don't ask !)
    side board and very recently a double bed . all from FV bought over the
    last eight years. So can vouch for their longevity.
    After sales service is wonderful ( hence 9 dining chairs)

Am I happy ..... yes
  • sitcom123
    sitcom123 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Well FV seem to have more positives than negatives so I think I may give them a go, I will see if I can get the price down suite is £1900 does anyone have an idea of what kind of % they would be likely to take off if any?

thanks to everyone for your comments
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Agree with Doozergirl - "tat" in the sense that the quality of the materials & construction is actually very poor for the price paid. Also agree with the suggestion that you compare the quality with M&S, John Lewis ... also Laura Ashley and Wesley Barrell. You may not be able to afford them (although they all have offers at the mo) but at least you should be in no doubt that the better quality/constructed products are built to last and therefore, by comparison, much better value for money. All those mentioned above use hardwood frames and glued & screwed joints, I believe.

I buy "old tat" - usually about 100 years - for around £50-£100 and then pay £400+ to have them reupholstered. I still have a suite done this way from 25 years ago! But then my interior design is very "traditional/classic" rather than modern/contemporary. If you want the latter, you'd be hard pushed to "do it my way" :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2009 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Agree with Doozergirl - "tat" in the sense that the quality of the materials & construction is actually very poor for the price paid.

I buy "old tat" - usually about 100 years - for around £50-£100 and then pay £400+ to have them reupholstered. I still have a suite done this way from 25 years ago! But then my interior design is very "traditional/classic" rather than modern/contemporary. If you want the latter, you'd be hard pushed to "do it my way" :)

Thanks DFC, that's exactly what I meant. It's certainly better than argos furniture but the pricing is ridiculous and I would personally steer well clear. I am much more likely to bide my time for the right item and hunt down *genuine* sale items from John Lewis or House of Fraser. Or just buy proper cheap tat from Ikea or off ebay that I know doesn't last forever :rotfl:

'old tat' is also perfect for even modern tastes as you can buy absolutely gorgeous funky upholstery fabrics and give something old a really modern feel that would sit quite happily in a modern apartment even. Something old reupholstered is definitely my plan for the bay in my bedroom :)

Shamefully I own more seating than we can actually fit in the house. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Shamefully I own more seating than we can actually fit in the house. :o

we're sisters :D :j :j

I have in storage 2 sofas, 12 dining chairs and a chaise longue waiting for restoration :o (I already have 2 sofas, 4 chairs 8 dining chairs and a chaise in the house!!!)

And don't ask about the garage :eek: :o
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2009 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Arent there some furniture warehouses around that sell off M&S, Laura Ashley returns and seconds cheaply ? I am sure I have heard these mentioned on MSE. I think there is one near Stansted airport? that has to be a better plan than buying from one of the aforementioned sheds. or buy a good quality make second hand off ebay, second hand furniture goes for peanuts. in fact someone on my freecycle group is trying to offload a 2 seater Laura Ashley sofa at the mo without success!

I got burnt when I bought a "sofa workshop direct" sofa (not from a SW shop) for £300. we were skint at the time. the seat cushions flattened within 6 months as they did not have any rigid foam inside, just wadding stuff. the springs broke in the back (upright part) after a couple of years so it went saggy. The loose covers however were good quality and stood up to washing well, but I got fed up of washing them. changed it for an M&S Abbey chocolate brown leather sofa (£950 in sale), still looks brand new after 3 years.
  • sitcom123
    sitcom123 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    oh well i have bit the bullet and bought the suite from FV. Fingers crossed it turns out ok. i would have liked to have bought from M&S or JL but money wouldnt stretch an extra £1800. Thanks for all your comments
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sitcom123 wrote: »
    oh well i have bit the bullet and bought the suite from FV. Fingers crossed it turns out ok. i would have liked to have bought from M&S or JL but money wouldnt stretch an extra £1800. Thanks for all your comments

My suite from Marks was also being sold by FV. There was a price difference, but only because I bought mine during Marks sale.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    we're sisters :D :j :j

I have in storage 2 sofas, 12 dining chairs and a chaise longue waiting for restoration :o (I already have 2 sofas, 4 chairs 8 dining chairs and a chaise in the house!!!)

And don't ask about the garage :eek: :o

That chaise has my name on it, I'm sure ;)

H's sister has a massive house so we have stuff there, I'm going to swap my red suite in the hall for the beaten up leather one as soon as I can - bored of the current colour scheme. It's quite handy!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    I bought a large and 2 seater sofa from them - very comfy and quite long. Will give it a 9 out of 10 as if you sit directly over the front when tying shoes you can feel its not that thick sponge. But then suspect most are like that.

As for a discount heres the code for 5% off.

5% Discount across the Furniture Village site with our Voucher Code
    Date Added: 24th May 2009 | End Date: Unknown
    V090025

They will also accept american express ( well they did in feb. so go for the 5% cashback card and claim another £5 back per £100 you spend too )

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport