We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

would appreciate your views on Furniture Village

Options
24

Comments

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,623 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My advice for anyone considering an out of town furniture shed is to visit a decent store, which may well sell suites well above your budget such as M&S, John Lewis, proper furniture store etc and pump them for information.

    Ask the staff why a suite is £5,000 (!) when DFS can do them for £800. They'll give you loads of information and ways to test quality - lifting the end of a 3 seater sofa being the best test - you can then visit the shed with some knowledge on what you are looking at and why a suite would be £800.
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have two very large sofas from Furniture Village, bought over 7 years ago. They are exceptionally comfortable, the cushion covers wash well and they look almost as good as new.

    We've never had a problem with them.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Meant to add im a childminder and we have a kitten and a cat and they still look as good as new too with all that lot clambering on and off it!
  • sitcom123
    sitcom123 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Any particular reason for not thanking the post that offered precisely that?:confused:

    A genuine oversight on my part, I have been checking every few hours or so and thought I had thanked everyone who commented
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    We bought a solid oak dining table and 6 high grade leather chairs from them. The furniture we bought is exceptionally well made and solid. It wasnt cheap but we feel we did get value for money. We do usually shop at John Lewis or independednts, but on this occasion we couldnt find anything better/equal to this suite of furniture. We did haggle though, and got quite a lot of money off.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    My advice for anyone considering an out of town furniture shed is to visit a decent store, which may well sell suites well above your budget such as M&S, John Lewis, proper furniture store etc and pump them for information.

    Ask the staff why a suite is £5,000 (!) when DFS can do them for £800. They'll give you loads of information and ways to test quality - lifting the end of a 3 seater sofa being the best test - you can then visit the shed with some knowledge on what you are looking at and why a suite would be £800.

    Call me daft, but I just can't see what you're getting at here.

    Surely, all you're left with is knowing that the only sofas you can afford are not as good as the sofas you can't afford?

    Not sure how that helps?

    Anyway, as to FV, I'm waiting on a sofa and chair from them at the mo (12 weeks delivery - I gather they're growing the things...) and have to say, from what I saw while shopping FV weren't noticeably better or worse than any of the other "big" places, DFS, Harveys et al (although their finance deals didn't seem quite as good..curses that the sofa we liked was from there :))

    All of them seem incredibly expensive, but they're all, strangely, a lot cheaper than other places on the high street and certainly the local furniture makers, so unless you can find anything in Ikea you like, you don't seem to have a whole lot of option if you're on a budget...
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »

    All of them seem incredibly expensive, but they're all, strangely, a lot cheaper than other places on the high street and certainly the local furniture makers, so unless you can find anything in Ikea you like, you don't seem to have a whole lot of option if you're on a budget...

    Not always true, but you really do need to shop around, it took me ages to find a local small manufacturer, they turned out be far better quality than the big boys, and slightly cheaper.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Not Furniture Village, but we've just received a 3 seater and armchair from SCS after waiting 8 weeks and have found them great - good customer service and communication, the sofas are fantastically comfortable and look great. And after weeks and weeks of hunting (including smaller, local stores, Ikea and all the competitors) these were the only ones within our budget that fitted the spec we wanted. I would recommend them.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,623 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Call me daft, but I just can't see what you're getting at here.

    Surely, all you're left with is knowing that the only sofas you can afford are not as good as the sofas you can't afford?

    Not sure how that helps?

    Fact is you can't see 95% of a suite as it's hidden under the fabric, this is how money is saved. Visiting a proper store will get you tips on how to avoid buying a cheap sofa which whilst looking good value is actually only worth half of what you are paying for it as the frame is made of balsa wood!

    You can also compare suites of similar price, or ones at the top and bottom end of your budget and test where the money is saved. You may only have to spend 50% more to get a suite which is100% better.
  • rustybucket
    rustybucket Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not Furniture Village, but we've just received a 3 seater and armchair from SCS after waiting 8 weeks and have found them great - good customer service and communication, the sofas are fantastically comfortable and look great. And after weeks and weeks of hunting (including smaller, local stores, Ikea and all the competitors) these were the only ones within our budget that fitted the spec we wanted. I would recommend them.

    I'm a no to SCS, similar to DFS, our sofa looks !!!!!......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards