We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

help fitting gas cooker

Options

Comments

• Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But leaving aside the questionable competence of the OP, surely there are useless, incompetent and dangerous GSR regd engineers just as there are perfectly competent and perhaps qualified non GSR reg'd engineers ?

I accept that it is the best option for non competent people to get a GSR engineer, but i do not accept that this guarantees competence/a safe job, or that non GSR people who are competent could not do that work safely.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8126612.stm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23564926-details/Family+of+dancer+killed+by+boiler+fumes+want+justice/article.do

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/3732511.Family_anger_as__gas__trial_collapses/
  • whitegoods_engineer
    whitegoods_engineer Posts: 636 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2009 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »
    But leaving aside the questionable competence of the OP, surely there are useless, incompetent and dangerous GSR regd engineers just as there are perfectly competent and perhaps qualified non GSR reg'd engineers ?

I accept that it is the best option for non competent people to get a GSR engineer, but i do not accept that this guarantees competence/a safe job, or that non GSR people who are competent could not do that work safely.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8126612.stm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23564926-details/Family+of+dancer+killed+by+boiler+fumes+want+justice/article.do

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/3732511.Family_anger_as__gas__trial_collapses/

Well obviously in ANY walk of life there are poor operatives including doctors, lawyers, builders, in fact any profession.

But does that therefore mean that it is better to DIY knowing nothing about how to install gas appliances, or get somebody who has had to PROVE competence, who must re-take exams every 5 years, and has experience and is registered like myself?

Can you imagine a tragedy occurring where the incompetent DIYer later wishes he had simply paid the £100 or thereabouts to get the cooker installed professionally!

he law says a "competent person" can install gas. How on earth can a non-trained person without the necessary test equipment or knowledge possibly consider themselves competent to carry out such important work?

The law on electricity changed a while back which prevents me from changing a light switch! Now that is a simple job which isn't rocket science, and is I believe a ridiculous restriction on a simple DIY job. However, anybody who deems themselves competent can have a good play with their gas pipework and blow themselves to Kingdom come!

The law must be changed.
  • sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »
    If you deem yourself competent then go ahead.

:o Post thanked by mistake

Unless you are trained, I think fitting it yourself would be a very risky business!
  • ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, I take it all back then Psssst!

Yes do it yourself, untrained and without the necessary test equipment or knowledge and of course then you WILL get the job done safely (cos untrained unqualified people are so much better) and you will of course test, position and check clearances, stability, adequate ventilation etc!

I was wondering why I had to go through all that training, take exams and get registered and insured when of course it is far better to let a clueless amateur do the work.

It makes so much sense now. I stand corrected

always make me laugh when someone who is trained gets on his/her high horse saying it has to be done by a GSR/Corgi.

if a diy'er feels confident to do the job themselves and are aware of the risks and dangers then that is their choice.

i am not having a go at you whitegoods_engineer as there are many who post in this manner.

you don't get mechanics posting similiar things regarding diyer's doing the brakes on there cars do you! is that not a safety issue too?
    You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.
  • inspect
    inspect Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Just because you feel confident in tackling a job doesn’t mean that you’re competent.

Competent person a person who has acquired through training, qualification or experience, or a combination of them, the knowledge and skills to carry out a particular task.

I think the above would exclude first time diyers.....
  • rockin_plumber
    Options

I believe that CORGI will not accept registration from non-gas safe registered operatives so being CORGI registered means by default you are also Gas safe registered.

If this is correct then theoretically it is a good thing.

I cant find anything suggesting this is the case though :confused:
  • Pssst
    Options
    sidefx wrote: »
    :o Post thanked by mistake

Unless you are trained, I think fitting it yourself would be a very risky business!

I am merely quoting the law of the land M'lud...
  • marrittm
    marrittm Posts: 272 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2009 at 12:17PM
    Options
    my god what have i started, i only asked if its OK to fit yourself or does it have to be corgi/gas safe. and as far as being competent i feel very competent but still don't want to break the law, which is why i asked question, i feel competent about using a gun but doesn't mean i will go out and shoot someone. so lets just calm down and forget i even asked. :confused:
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    marrittm wrote: »
    my god what have i started

Don't worry - these gas related threads always end like this :D
  • Pssst
    Options
    Indeed...as Mssrs EliteHeat have said,

It is a commonly debated issue which does tend to get the dander up ..!

Pay us no heed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family