help fitting gas cooker

Options
hello all, this is a post more for my parents than myself, the problem is they have just bought a new gas cooker but the fittings on the old one are old i know all the parts i need to fit new one but is it OK to fit my self or do i have to have a gorgi registered fitter. :confused:

Comments

• staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2009 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Must be registered corgi (Gas Safe Registered) fitter
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, staffie is correct. it has to be I'm afraid.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you deem yourself competent then go ahead.
  • marrittm
    marrittm Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    ok corgi it is then thanx to you all..
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    marrittm wrote: »
    ok corgi it is then thanx to you all..

Gas Safe Register ;)

Anyone still claiming to be corgi registered is not permitted to carry out gas works :rolleyes:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rockin plumber is correct. If any one says they are Corgi registered are not
    allowed to carry out the work. Check their paperwork dates.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm

You only have to be GSR to carry out work whilst in employment ..i,e being paid for such work.

An individual or diy'er only needs to be competent.
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Are you MAD?

Do you want to risk blowing yourself up?

If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be attempting to do the work.

Call a 'Gas safe' registered fitter (Corgi no longer regulates the gas market) and you will get the job done safely, your installation will be tested for tightness and your cooker clearances, positioning and ventilation requirements examined for safe use.

Or you can play with solder and a blow torch! and risk yours, your parent's and their neighbours lives.
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Gas Safe Register ;)

Anyone still claiming to be corgi registered is not permitted to carry out gas works :rolleyes:

Actually you are wrong.

I am Gas safe registered but I can if I want to join CORGI who now operate as a trade body rather than a regulator.

I could then call on a customer saying I am CORGI registered and work on their gas!

You can be Gas safe registered AND corgi registered but unless you are Gas safe registered, you cannot work on gas.

I believe that CORGI will not accept registration from non-gas safe registered operatives so being CORGI registered means by default you are also Gas safe registered.
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »

Are you MAD?

Do you want to risk blowing yourself up?

If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be attempting to do the work.

Call a 'Gas safe' registered fitter (Corgi no longer regulates the gas market) and you [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] will hopefully get the job done safely, your installation [STRIKE]will [/STRIKE]should be tested for tightness and your cooker clearances, positioning and ventilation requirements examined for safe use.

Or you can play with solder and a blow torch! and risk yours, your parent's and their neighbours lives

Oh, I take it all back then Psssst!

Yes do it yourself, untrained and without the necessary test equipment or knowledge and of course then you WILL get the job done safely (cos untrained unqualified people are so much better) and you will of course test, position and check clearances, stability, adequate ventilation etc!

I was wondering why I had to go through all that training, take exams and get registered and insured when of course it is far better to let a clueless amateur do the work.

It makes so much sense now. I stand corrected
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport