Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• hnisc
    hnisc Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    In my experience I wouldn't bother with Universal with a 4 year old. I would definitely choose Seaworld and Busch Gardens personally, and Aquatica is a great water park (plus you'll have the Disney water parks).

I have never been to Legoland so can't comment on that one.

Edit: As for car hire, its very easy in the US and I woudln't be without one. Take your own booster seat, Virgin and BA will put them in the hold for no charge. Use your mobile phone with Navfree on for sat nav. Tolls aren't a big issue. Pick up is very easy just don't let them talk you in to their "Special offer" upgrades. Driving in Orlando is an absolute pleasure, I really enjoy the whole experience.

We've gone for Seaworld and it's sister parks along with Legoland. I'm not sure if we'll get to Busch Gardens but it comes with the Seaworld pass anyway so we can if time permits.

Not bothing with the car, free transport to all the parks is included with our tickets, just have to give Kennedy Space Center a miss this time.
    :hello:v :money:
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    edited 29 February 2016 at 1:12PM
    Options
    In our experience Busch Gardens is definitely worth the effort of getting to. We love that park.
    Where are you staying? Is it near to plenty of restaurants? That is the other thing to consider when deciding whether to hire a car or not. Obviously everyone is diferent and many people chose not to hire a car, but do make sure you are not stuck for a choice of eateries.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Of the regulars, is anyone else of the opinion that Disney is trying to turn us even more into cash machines?

I know that such things are at the planning stage, but they are looking to introduce a charge for parking at resorts. They are also introducing outside hours activities that are far more expensive than previously. $149 for resort guests to stay late in the parks or similar to come in early. Ok, you get light refreshments but no entertainment like Christmas and Halloween. Not that long ago they offered these add ons without refreshments for $10. Also, is this the death knell for the free Extra Magic Hours for resort guests.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • cookster
    cookster Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a regular visitor to Orlando, 11th visit in August.

I wondered if anyone buys a Sim or cheap mobile/Sim whilst on holiday.

I'd like to buy a PAYG sim whilst there and use if mainly for mobile data, anyone have any experience?

Thanks.
  • jelby
    jelby Posts: 2 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I know this question will have been asked loads so apologies.

Going to Orlando in June/July, 2 adults and 1 child (who is 9). I've been looking at online combination tickets and starting to go crazy with it trying to find the best deal. Looking for 14 days Disney, Universal, Seaworld (inclusive of Busch Gardens).

FloridaTix are £1597 for all 3 of us and potential 4% cashback - so £1533. Obviously they are recognised Disney seller etc and cashback not guaranteed (but reviews on cashback very high and paid within 3 weeks of buying).

Orlando Attraction tickets are £1552 with MSE discount code but quite worried as not recognised seller.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or should I go with FloridaTix and take the chance on the cashback? This will be my fifth time in Orlando, however I went with my parents before who were a fan of doing the timeshare tours for the tickets but I really don't have the patience or cajones to put up with the salesmen, I'd rather enjoy my holiday.

Thanks in advance!! :)
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    cookster wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a regular visitor to Orlando, 11th visit in August.

I wondered if anyone buys a Sim or cheap mobile/Sim whilst on holiday.

I'd like to buy a PAYG sim whilst there and use if mainly for mobile data, anyone have any experience?

Thanks.

I used to, but don't bother anymore. Wifi is so ubiquitous I just use that and Skype to call home. You have Wifi in all of the Disney resorts and theme parks, the malls, fast food restaurants...

I've tried various things in the past: having a US mobile, having a UK mobile with US minutes, having a US calling card. I can't remember we got our phone from either Walmart or Best Buy. We were spending about 6 weeks a year in the US and DH was working there from time to time.

Nowadays wifi gives us pretty much what we need. When one of my family was taken ill, we also bought a Skype calling plan to use wifi to call direct to UK lines and mobiles. Not necessarily the cheapest solution, but easy to set up and got us out of a situation where we needed to call home other than skype to skype.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • pairoffives
    Options
    Hi All

Anyone had any problems recently using the american attractions website?
    I used the link from MSE tonight, picked tickets etc, put in details for payment then screen just refreshed for a bit and said basket was empty!!

Will have to wait a couple of days now to see if anything gets charged to the card:(
  • epskie
    epskie Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for some advice on the very cheapest way to holiday in Florida? It's 8 years since we've been and my family has grown. I don't mind villa or hotel, we are a family of 5 (kids are 15, 10 and 1) We would like to go for a fortnight, tickets to all parks and direct flights.
    Many Thanks.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    epskie wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for some advice on the very cheapest way to holiday in Florida? It's 8 years since we've been and my family has grown. I don't mind villa or hotel, we are a family of 5 (kids are 15, 10 and 1) We would like to go for a fortnight, tickets to all parks and direct flights.
    Many Thanks.

Dates & how flexible are you, on where you fly from
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • epskie
    epskie Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Dates & how flexible are you, on where you fly from

July 2017 (not very flexible due to GCSE's and other school issues) and Manchester preferably. Thank you :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure