Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• foxymum1977_2
    Options
    Has anyone stayed at Baymont Inn and Suites in celebration? Really hope someone can reassure me? Very mixed reviews but I've already booked so now stressing, thanks in advance
    mummy to 3 monsters!
    trying to money save, but spot too many bargains on here!!
  • Mr._OCaz
    Mr._OCaz Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wanting a bit of advice as planning on travelling to Floria in 2017 in order to save up as already booked holiday for next year and will allow enough time to save up. Going to be 2 adults and 2 children who will be aged 9 and 3.

Going to go for two weeks and either planning on 2 weeks in Easter 2017 or in summer holidays. Wanting to avoid hurricanes(!) and also don't like thought of trudging around parks in humid weather so Easter might be better option I guess?

Thinking of going DIY route booking all bits myself as assuming it will be cheaper. So initial thoughts on budget are:

£3,200 for flights - ideally would want direct even if means travelling from London as probably travel down day before as imagine it would be a long day for the kids otherwise. Any advice on connecting flights if that is cheaper to ease pain of long travelling time?

£1,200 for 7 day pass for Disney and will consider buying 1 day pass for Universal but aim is for Disney with probably doing a couple of days in parks then chilling. What are additional extra worth considering when in parks?

£800 for accommodation - will drive if needed but hear freeways are an experience so where would be a good base for the parks with option of just chilling out around pool when not in parks with easy travel links?

If needed £200 for car hire.

Will look at booking most of it about a year in advance. Then just wondered about general cost when out there for eating out as probably won't be boozing so any idea on what sort of money we'd need each day?

Any advice welcomed, hoping to do it cheap but not ruin overall experience as want to go before daughter gets too old to really enjoy it.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    check out the DIBB - you won't do better for advice on how to make the most out of your budget for Florida than there :).
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr._OCaz wrote: »
    hear freeways are an experience
    They certainly can be stressful in big cities such as Los Angeles but they're not too bad in the Orlando area. Don't let that put you off. Depending on where you stay, you might not even need to use freeways.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    Driving in Orlando is a doddle. Easier than driving here i've always found.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    A quick update for regulars who use Annual Passes.

The Annual Pass schemes in both Orlando and Anaheim are about to undergo major changes. Anyone using APs on a regular basis should investigate as this may impact future travel plans and budgets.

DVC member discounts apply, so members come out of this better than others. There are several articles about this, including this one:
    http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/10/walt-disney-world-introduces-new-annual-passholder-program-prices-for-parking-rise/

There's also quite a good chart here:
    http://dvcnews.com/index.php/other-resources-4555/walt-disney-world-54674/vacation-planning-2029/3107-dramatic-changes-to-wdw-annual-pass-program
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • renfrew999
    Options
    I'm sure this will have been discussed many times but I'd be grateful for a bit of advice. We went Florida 5 years ago when my kids were 7, 11 and 13 and did the five Disney Parks. We have now booked up again for next year and the kids want to do Disney but I feel we should try the Orlando Flexticket plus. None of my kids are into roller coasters particularly but I think they might be a bit big for Disney and that it won't be the same as the first time because we know what to expect. Is Universal just 'big' rides or is there more to it than that? Is there a 'cheap' way of adding the Magic Kingdom for one day so that they can relive the Disney Magic while experiencing something new? Also, as an aside, we plan to take 4 days out at the beach. Is the Gulf Coast the best bet and does anyone have any hotel / accommodation recommendation? Thanks
  • hnisc
    hnisc Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Heading in May for two weeks.

Is it worth hiring a car just to go to Kennedy Space centre or purchase a tour which included transport?

Can anyone recommend Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise in Clearwater?
    :hello:v :money:
  • pinkzebra
    pinkzebra Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    renfrew999 wrote: »
    I'm sure this will have been discussed many times but I'd be grateful for a bit of advice. We went Florida 5 years ago when my kids were 7, 11 and 13 and did the five Disney Parks. We have now booked up again for next year and the kids want to do Disney but I feel we should try the Orlando Flexticket plus. None of my kids are into roller coasters particularly but I think they might be a bit big for Disney and that it won't be the same as the first time because we know what to expect. Is Universal just 'big' rides or is there more to it than that? Is there a 'cheap' way of adding the Magic Kingdom for one day so that they can relive the Disney Magic while experiencing something new? Also, as an aside, we plan to take 4 days out at the beach. Is the Gulf Coast the best bet and does anyone have any hotel / accommodation recommendation? Thanks

If the kids want to do Disney, then that is what you should do - I doubt they will remember much from 5 years ago (as your youngest will have been 2, and your middle child 6), plus your youngest will not have been tall enough to ride splash mountain, space mountain etc. Disney have quite a few rides suitable for older children, and my kids (14 and 16) still like going on the 'kiddie rides' - as do I!

I'd spend your time at Disney, and go to Universal for a day or two (I'd wait a bit until somewhere like Floridatix have a special offer or sale, or sign up for the mousesavers newsletter and they will send you a link for cheap tickets from undercovertourist). Universal Islands is mainly big rides - if you are not into coasters or Harry Potter I wouldn't bother visiting. Universal Studios is more simulator style rides. Both parks are having new rides being built - I believe fast and furious is going to the studios, and king kong to Islands. They are also building a new waterpark.
  • pinkzebra
    pinkzebra Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to add, yes gulf coast is a good bet. If you are going for 4 days, I would maybe head to Clearwater, Sarasota, or Sanibel. Clearwater is more touristy and has more attractions, but if you like relaxing on a beach, shelling, boat trips etc then Sarasota or Sanibel are both beautiful. If you go to Sanibel, I recommend The Island Inn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure