We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• MoneyMission2015
    Options
    MINMOUSE wrote: »
    I Wonder if anyone can help with this as my head is going round in circles.
    Planning to go orlando july 16 and to stay in the port orleans. I have went online to get a quote and the deal with passes/free dining plan etc suits us. This may sound a daft question but can I indendantly book flights and still get this deal or do I need to book flights via disney to qualify for this??

We book hotel & tickets through Disney, then book our flights separately. In the past we've even changed the date of the hotel stay once flights are booked because the flights were cheaper to go a day earlier. Disney were fine with us doing this.

We find it cheaper doing it this way & as we always like to stay on Disney, it's always worked out cheaper for us to book with Disney directly rather than going through somebody else.
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    We too have been several times at different times of the year. We have been most in late January/Early Feb when the weather is a bit of a gamble. We have mainly had nice weather where water parks are possible but not every day as we have also had some very chilly days. Evenings can be a tad chilly too even on some of the nicer days - not cold but definitely worth putting a thin jumper on/

2 years ago we went end of April and it was really hot, I was struggling until the sun went down when it was very pleasant indeed.

November was really pleasant but not much good for school holidays. If you are looking for 2 weeks during school holidays you are left with Summer (I imagine unbearably hot), Christmas (unbelievably busy) or Easter - the best option I would think.
  • squires55
    squires55 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    OK booked flights for April 2016 to Orlando and now looking to get accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teens (boy and girl).

Ideally we'd like a villa or apartment with a communal pool and preferably an onsite restaurant/cafe with bar.

Also, we'd like the option not to use the car at night and like to walk (upto 10-15 mins) to a nearby restaurant(s) for evening meal/drinks.

We've previously stayed at Regal Palms which ticked a lot of these boxes but wondered if there were any other locations that offered similar that we should consider?

I've looked on DIBB but swamped with info!

regards and TIA

Shaun
  • neetsy15
    neetsy15 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked at cypress point in lake buena vista? It has some nice apartments, communal pool and is a great location for disney and some restaurants nearby. I'm sure there's cypress pointe and cypress point grandvilas (they are newer)!

Also try lake buena vista resort and spa I haven't stayed there but I know a few families who have and they have recommended it

Best of luck
  • MoneyMission2015
    Options
    squires55 wrote: »
    OK booked flights for April 2016 to Orlando and now looking to get accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teens (boy and girl).

Ideally we'd like a villa or apartment with a communal pool and preferably an onsite restaurant/cafe with bar.

Also, we'd like the option not to use the car at night and like to walk (upto 10-15 mins) to a nearby restaurant(s) for evening meal/drinks.

We've previously stayed at Regal Palms which ticked a lot of these boxes but wondered if there were any other locations that offered similar that we should consider?

regards and TIA

Shaun

squires55 - if you want to be within walking distance of restaurants etc, have you looked at hotels etc near to Downtown Disney? Saratoga springs is literally a 5 minute walk (we're staying there again next year) and is lovely. They do the option of self catering. We usually just stay in a studio room because we always eat out, but a few years ago we did have a 1 bedroom studio apartment which was lovely. It had a full kitchen (huge fridge, oven, microwave), the living room sofa turned in to a bed for the kids. I know they do 2 bedroom options too, although not sure what the price would be for that. They also have onsite restaurants and bar, as well as a poolside bar which serve snacks.

x
  • squires55
    squires55 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    squires55 wrote: »

regards and TIA

Shaun

An update - we've booked an apartment at Bahama Bay, which give a lot of what we want without non resort restaurants nearby.
  • maemaesmummy
    maemaesmummy Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    Options
    I like Bahama Bay as a resort, I live close by so any questions just yell!
    Bit of a Florida Fan :j
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
  • Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone Invested in Disney Vacation Club?

I have all the paperwork but I am looking for the con....
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks - quick Q's if anyone has the time:

So we're going next year for 3 weeks in July (flights booked) and my thinking at the moment is to stay in a disney hotel for the first week and then probably a villa (or other sc option) for the 2nd 2 weeks. I'm looking at moderate resorts with free dining and the cheapest 2 are coronado springs and Caribbean beach resort. Any recommendations for those? For about £50 more we could stay in either of the port orleans resorts - anyone recommend spending the extra to do this, and why? for about £300 extra we could stay at saratoga springs or old key west resort and get an upgraded meal plan - does anyone recommend this, and why?

Also as we going for 3 weeks I am tempted to pay extra (about £100) to get 3 week instead of 2 week tickets). I am hesitant to do this as we wouldn't spend any more time in Disney world we could just spread or days out more (we want to do other non disney stuff we're in Orlando). Is it worth the money for the extra flexibility and convenience or is just throwing away £100 that we could spend on other days out?

Also as I am here - any suggestions or recommendations for non disney stuff to do? We've already planned to do Kennedy space center, dinosaur world, orlando science center, wonderworks. I'd quite like to find some stuff that is outdoors/nature/exercise themed, some animal stuff, anything science related, anything related to the history of the area, nice parks to visit, nice town/city areas to visit.

Thanks so much for reading :)
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Hi folks - quick Q's if anyone has the time:

Also as we going for 3 weeks I am tempted to pay extra (about £100) to get 3 week instead of 2 week tickets). I am hesitant to do this as we wouldn't spend any more time in Disney world we could just spread or days out more (we want to do other non disney stuff we're in Orlando). Is it worth the money for the extra flexibility and convenience or is just throwing away £100 that we could spend on other days out?

Thanks so much for reading :)

We went last month for three weeks.

2 week pass was more than enough. Have to have days away from parks
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport